Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Mods needed for TD05 in a BF5?

CEG

Hi all,

I have a \'91 Manual GT with a stock engine done 145k that I\'ve been slowly collecting bits for.

At the moment I have a TD05 off a V2 STi and an STi RA v2 ECU. I want to keep this as reliable as possible and still pretty quiet whilst obviously having more top end. From what I can gather the injectors are the same between this and the V2 STi, as is the AFM. So I\'m thinking my options are:

1. Chuck in the v2 ECU and turbo, then live with the intercooler pump being on full the whole time and hope that the ECU is a good match

2. Chuck in the turbo and get a decent EBC to regulate boost, hoping that the standard ECU won\'t find this too much of an issue?

At the moment I\'m kind of leaning towards option 2 as I have intermittent boost issues (makes all the noises like it\'s boosting but doesn\'t) that I\'m worried will still be there with the new ECU, meaning heaps more troubleshooting, as opposed to using an EBC which should be regulating most of this stuff itself.

But yeah! Would love anyone\'s thoughts if they\'ve done this or something similar before

Cheers

The turbo on its own won\'t kill the car - if you go and wind the boost through the roof, then sure - but you\'ll do that with the stock one also.

The idea of the AFM is to monitor the amount of air coming in, the ECU doesn\'t know what turbo you actually have on there - all it sees is "I have so many CFM of air coming in right now, so I\'ll use this much fuel and timing like I always have" - whether this is from a stock turbo with the boost wound up, or a larger turbo at a lower pressure, doesn\'t make a *lot* of difference (within reason).

Follow the logic a bit more and a larger turbo in a way results in things being safer, more flow capability = cooler charged air temp at similar boost levels = safer for the motor and more power potential.

tl;dr = chuck it on it will be fine but wouldn\'t hurt to diagnose the problem you have in the first place