Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Replacing Knock Sensor

Blake

Hi Guys

I am going to attempt to replace the knock sensor on my 95 GT wagon. I've pulled the intercooler off and had a quick look but can anybody pass on any hints to make this easier and if I need to remove anything else apart from the intercooler and what appears to be a water pipe.

Thanks heaps

Blake

Yeeeaaaaah. I want to get at mine too, but i have no idea.

The pipes blocking it in place are the coolant pipes that go to the heater core. In a single turbo they normally go round the side of the clutch housing, but in the TT's, cause of the primary turbo, they go over the knock sensor, then up and over the clutch housing. The knock sensors sorta stuck under the bloody things.

I wand to know if there's a trick to getting at the TT knock sensors, or how much you have to rip off the engine to get those bloody little pipes off so i can get at the sensor easily...

I/C off

remove the 12mm head mounting for you coolant pipes so they can be moved slighlty out of the road

Then use a 300mm long 3/8 drive ext with a nice new (sharp) 12mm socket,

Undoing and removing is the EASY BIT

Getting that bolt back in esp on a HOT engine is not so easy

Go luck

Guest boostcut

haha thta reminded me i saw an outback that had been serviced by wingers hamilton all its life with the knock sensor mounted on the inlet manifold. the same bold the earth cluster bolts to... good on ya!

saw one mounted to the rubber shock absorber thing (maby a spacer) that holds the water to air intercooler in place on a old leggy.

-smurff

yeah, old school thinking (put the old sensitive sensor well away from the engine noise and it'll go better) BANG

I'd really like to punch Mr Subaru in the face right now for letting his team design such a POS. I've spent the last 1.5 hours trying to get at the knock sensor moving and removing pipes and not getting it out I tried putting the car back together and now cant get the IC back on even though ive had it off a few times before.

Im now probably going to have to tow the car to the garage and pay them to do it.

Thanks Mr Subaru for the sh*t designed engine you made us.

Right enough of my moaning and back to my Whiskey

Ahh the the good old Whiskey induced stress out :)

Suppose its all about just accepting the fact that this is where they are

A decent tech can easily do the wholoe job in 30min on an E-Tune (which is the worst of all to do)

ReubenH said:

I'm going with... Blake owns a TT.

In wich case, this was one of the BIG reasons i switched to single. So much easier. I just wish i had swapped the heater core lines too :(

Yeah TT however managed to get it all back together last night without swearing once haha.