Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Pinging in BE5C (RSK B4)

suubyduuby

Ive got a BH5A and my younger bro has a BE5D, were done some more testing and fround the pinking is only found after the engine is warmed and sat to heat soak the IC, and can happen at any throttle position between 2.5k to 5.5k once boost has been made. we plugged in a scanner and watched the data, when no knock is audible, with a air temp of 12 deg, no heat soak in the IC, engine loaded from 2.2k in 5th once full boost is made the ecu shows 9 deg of retard!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostin

Try the upper cylinder cleaner too. I've had that reduce the rattle in the past.

I'm not a fan of cleaning AFM's. If you damage it, it will kill your engine real quick. If you suspect its faulty/dirty, replace it.

IchiBan, I'm at Whingers and know how to adjust the timing.

I've already tried using upper cylinder cleaner on mine and it didn't seem to blow anything out the tail pipe which was pretty disappointing after being told there'd be huge plumes of carbon ;D

Boostin... which Wingers are you at? Sublab East Tamaki or Greenlane? Mine is due for an oil change too (I was going to do it myself but wanted to take it in for the 5 degree ignition retard trick).

The differnce is not noticed !

As Knocking correction factor is now removed

Over advanced timing (which is the case with rsk's) do not produce more power with the timing like this

Ichi Ban said:

The differnce is not noticed !

As Knocking correction factor is now removed

Over advanced timing (which is the case with rsk's) do not produce more power with the timing like this

Yeah you're right. Have found my 'un-knocking' 99 GT is more powerful than the RSK, cos its not pinging and retarding boost/timing :(...

So you reckon Winger Greenlane should be able to do it? Prob with Sublab East Tamaki is that they had the car in for a service, noted the pinging, but when asked how to resolve it, they had no idea. :o

Guest boostin

Because winger are cheap cnuts and won't pay for training. 99% of what i know on Subaru's is self taught.

To true, most dealer staff haven't got a clue !

I get calls almost daily from dealers asking "what cause's...." etc

Many are too lazy to even lift the bonnet - had a dealer from the upper 1/2 of the north island (not naming the dealer)

who asked me what cause's a B4 auto to shudder only in second gear up hill. They hadn't even checked the fluid level in the trans so I hung up :)

Ichi Ban said:

To true, most dealer staff haven't got a clue !

I get calls almost daily from dealers asking "what cause's...." etc

Many are too lazy to even lift the bonnet - had a dealer from the upper 1/2 of the north island (not naming the dealer)

who asked me what cause's a B4 auto to shudder only in second gear up hill. They hadn't even checked the fluid level in the trans so I hung up :)

I hope that you charge them for your time and knowledge

I get the same from "supposedly" bus mechanics

it a damn when u get known as a problem solver

they ring u asking silly questions which u answer but really get nuffin outta it

Try working for Armstrong Subaru then

I called the dealership the Big Top

The branch manager the Ring Master (felt like we had to jump through hoop's :) )

Many staff were indeed MUPPETS of the highest order

Hence I left !

Management got a bit cranky when we made un Armstong Circus flyers

(Modeled from the Webber Bros Circus ones)

So funny but SO TRUE

Ichi Ban said:

The branch manager the Ring Master (felt like we had to jump through hoop's :) )

Hence I left !

This must be a dealership workshop thing, i work in the local mitsubishi dealer as a team leader. And ive made many circus jokes about management and the place in general.

Think we are onto something here........

Managers = MUPPETS

I know Armstrongs had a meeting to discuss a future meeting !!! WTF !!

Ichi Ban said:

I know Armstrongs had a meeting to discuss a future meeting !!! WTF !!

That's nothing new! We do that all the time in IT ;D

Well, I took the car into Sublab and they tried to do the base timing retard. Unfortunately the SCAN tool wouldn't let them access the hidden menu to do it.

So that looks like a no-go for me!

I'm going to change plugs (they're due) and maybe look at changing AFM cos it is pretty bad sometimes.

Guest boostin
 SpotMe said:

Well, I took the car into Sublab and they tried to do the base timing retard. Unfortunately the SCAN tool wouldn't let them access the hidden menu to do it.

I'm going to change plugs (they're due) and maybe look at changing AFM cos it is pretty bad sometimes.

Yay! Go Wingers!! ::)

Ichi Ban said:

Hence I left !

Sounds like when i was in the Army.

SpotMe said:

Which one did you go to?

I changed the plugs yesterday ($25 each from Repco for the Platinums :) . It had a rather worn set of NGK R Iriway 7's in it which I believe are Iridiums? They were all a dull grey colour with no deposits :)

So at least they've been changed once in the cars life lol!

I haven't noticed a huge difference yet but I also haven't driven it very far and I think an ECU reset is probably in order.

SpotMe']

[quote name='suubyduuby said:

Which one did you go to?

/quote]

Sublab East Tamaki.

Oh....yeah, they were the ones who kinda didn't even know how to resolve the pinging issue (when we asked them). ::)

Hmm - might try giving it a go at Winger Greenlane at some point.

The BE5C had its plugs changed but to no avail. Never had anything done to the AFM though. How did you get on with that? Any difference?