Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

dual mass clutch questions.

4Palta

Hi guys,

I have a Subaru Lancaster 2001 (2002 facelift) with 109.000kms, my clutch is working good, but at the minimum effort in a hill start to smell, but doesn\'t spin, doesn\'t make funny noises or smoke; its just the smell.

Because Spanish is my first language I\'ve been checking in some forums about clutch problems, and in many sites I read people getting problems with very low kms in the Subaru Outback because of the dual mass. Most of them where latest model (IV gen - 2004 - 2009) so I\'m not sure about the clutch that has my Lancaster (I suppose its the same, dual mass).

So after reading a long list of problems I\'m a bit afraid and trying to use my clutch very carefully and smooth after been smelling my clutch in the situations I said before.

My question is... is that smell "normal" with this kind of clutch? Its it that expensive as I read on Internet to replace the clutch?. Because I went to a mechanic here in Qtwn (when I didn\'t know how to call it in english this dual mass) and he told me could be around $800 (that is less money than other countries where they quote for a dual mass repair) so I\'m not sure which info is correct, and if that price could be for standard flywheel instead dual mass.

And my last question, which one will be better to fit in my Lancaster, continue with dual mass or put the standard one? I read some people in Spain put after the problems the standard one and works great getting more kms with that one, but is not an original Subaru clutch of course.

I\'m a bit lost with this clutch topic, so if some one can help me, and explain me I\'ll really appreciate.

Thanks again.

Get rid of it and put a standard one on, I have a good standard flywheel here, The non turbo clutch plates don\'t clamp very well either push type plates have cramp clamp and are 225mm with weak centre springs) The mechanic you have got a price from will probably supply you with a crappy aus made exedy shuddering pos clutch! If you want to bring the car to me i can upgrade your non turbo gearbox to accept the turbo(Pull type) clutch and supply a brand new 230mm oe sti exedy clutch kit that has a 17% more clamp than the aus exedy kits.. aka FJK-7123 all this for around 1200 with machined flywheel new thrust and spigot bearing fitted

Thanks for that info, so does the turbo clutch fit and work better in the Lancaster?.

I\'d keep it in mind your offer dude, coz at the moment I\'m not interested to change it, still working good and I don\'t have the money for it. This mechanic just gave me a quote to have an idea thinking in the moment that I\'ll have to replace it.

So after read on Internet and what you say seems that the dual mass is just problems haha... about the smell, that\'s normal? I mean doesn\'t smell every time or in a single hill, but starting the car in a steep hill from parked its very normal in my car to smell the clutch. And also when I went to Milford sound, in the way back when you drive many kms up hill I could smell it as well, but doesn\'t spin at the moment or shake, or do something wrong... so I hope can survive some thousands of kms more before replace it.

Btw you are in Chch?? You have a garage?

I\'ll be in Chch for xmas so maybe you can see it there.

Thanks!

Hey just keep driving it till it get noticeably worst then drive it to me before its to late, you can contact me via the local subby mechanic thread thats sticky in the Christchurch section(up the top), The problem is at that price the mechanic will simply install a crappy clutch kit worth $250 take your $800 and send you on the way Shuddering down the road..

I could install a non turbo clutch kit for around 700 and that being a oe exedy 225mm but simply upgrading it to accept the heavier clamping and bigger dia turbo pull type clutch would be the far better option, especially driving around those hills in that heavy wagon.

Yeah, I always use the dual to start in a hill now, feel goes better my clutch

hijacka said:

I could install a non turbo clutch kit for around 700 and that being a oe exedy 225mm but simply upgrading it to accept the heavier clamping and bigger dia turbo pull type clutch would be the far better option, especially driving around those hills in that heavy wagon.

• 5 months later...
 hijacka said:

Hey just keep driving it till it get noticeably worst then drive it to me before its to late, you can contact me via the local subby mechanic thread thats sticky in the Christchurch section(up the top), The problem is at that price the mechanic will simply install a crappy clutch kit worth $250 take your $800 and send you on the way Shuddering down the road..

Had a clutch put in by subtech in AKL a year and a half ago - wondering whether it was one of the crappy generic exedy ones - lots of shudder and smelled bad for longer than bedding should have...