Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Finding/diagnosing a rattle/squeak. HELP

subi4snow

I\'ve had a god awful rattle/squeak coming from the boot of my forester since using it on rutted ski field roads this year. Its fairly constant and highish pitched.

I remember having one almost the same in the old landcruiser our family used to have but we never found out what was making it in that vehicle either.

The sound seems to be coming from either just outside/under the boot area.

Any ideas on what I should check? So far I have removed all the interior boot liners/cargo carriers, spare wheel, boot trim, and the sound remains. I have also checked the strut top bolts, screws around number plate, tow bar bolts, etc...

I\'ll get a video of the sound soon to upload as well so people may recognise it...

Do the rear seats fold down? If so, fold them down, then back up. Found that got rid of a squeak for me. Could be a stone stuck in the brakes/tyres.

Otherwise the best thing to do is get a parent/friend to drive the car and you sit in the back listening and looking for the squeak.

Timmah said:

Do the rear seats fold down? If so, fold them down, then back up. Found that got rid of a squeak for me. Could be a stone stuck in the brakes/tyres.

Otherwise the best thing to do is get a parent/friend to drive the car and you sit in the back listening and looking for the squeak.

Rear seats are currently folded down (have been up and down a few times since rattle started). Have driven my cousin in the car and had someone drive me in the car whilst in the back and can\'t pin it down :( Thanks for the ideas though

Uploading video to youtube now so link to noise will be up soon

My car has a very squeaky swaybar mount on one side, anytime bar moves (so, every fricken bump) it twists and squeeeeak

Could also be exhaust hangers maybe??

Just throwing ideas out, does it sound like rubber on metal squeak, or metal on metal? (Yes they sound different... sort of... shuddup)

Marky said:

My car has a very squeaky swaybar mount on one side, anytime bar moves (so, every fricken bump) it twists and squeeeeak

Could also be exhaust hangers maybe??

Just throwing ideas out, does it sound like rubber on metal squeak, or metal on metal? (Yes they sound different... sort of... shuddup)

Could potentially be swaybar link bushes? I\'ll swap my old sway bar links in and see if it stops it.

Here is the link to the video for sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKzWS5JDx6Y&feature=youtu.be

sobanoodle said:

Try to drive with the rear hatch open, just to eliminate that part too ???

IT\'S ALWAYS THE SIMPLEST THINGS!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I look like a bit of a noob for not trying the obvious part first now (but seemed to sound like it was under/outside the car to me and my cousin when we rode in the back.

Now, does anyone know how to adjust the latch to make it a tighter close? Or is going nuts with CRC/silicone spray my only option. (Could tape the latch insert bit but that\'s a wee bit rough for my liking)

Couldn\'t find any adjustment in the latch itself so just added a washer on each of the bolts holding the latch in place moving it back into the door by about 1mm. still closes and now no rattle YAY!

Thanks for the help guys, always turns out to be the simplest things aye (then again sometimes not with subies...)

subi4snow said:

Couldn\'t find any adjustment in the latch itself so just added a washer on each of the bolts holding the latch in place moving it back into the door by about 1mm. still closes and now no rattle YAY!

Thanks for the help guys, always turns out to be the simplest things aye (then again sometimes not with subies...)

Haha well done! I recall my dad having similar issues with his forester :D