Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fixed: SG Forester exhaust drone, bit of help plz

Phewsion

Hi all

So I purchased a 02 Forester XT (SG5) a couple months back and put a Apexi Super S diff back muffler on it, Unfortunately it drones like mad and has no rumble at all (slight puff at idle)

I thought ok, it sounded like my old BP legacy so figured EL instead of UEL headers, but then today I passed another XT forester (same as mine just red) and his rumbled like my SF5 with an Apexi Mega Phone Dunk muffler.

So now I\'m confused, is the Super S stuffed, or did the Red SG replace the headers with UEL for the rumble?

To test are the SF5 and SG5 exhausts swappable?

Ok sweet apparently I got the name wrong too it\'s an Apexi Super Megaphone

I got it from subaruspeed.co.nz their info says

The A’PEX Super Megaphone Exhaust System was the original single tip muffler in Japan. It popularized the single tip design and set quality standards for performance exhausts. The canister and tip of the Super Megaphone is constructed from SUS 304 polished stainless steel. The tip measures 115mm in diameter and is stamped with its unique logo. This muffler is sure to become a “classic” in the world of performance exhausts.

But it sounds like a tin can, Suppose it\'s one of the bad results from buying 2nd hand

Would the SF be interchangable with the SG from axle back? just so I can test it

Stoffa said:

have you checked to confirm you have UEL headers? someone may have put equal length ones one there.

I\'m not that mechnically minded, I can do basic stuff, how hard is it to check if someone has done this?

When it\'s sitting in park u can faintly hear a boxer rumble, but it vanishes upon any acceleration

I found a youtube clip that sounds similar to my Foz at present

I couldn\'t get the bolts undone on the SF so i\'ve left it, I was actually thinking of buying 1 of the mufflers off Subaruspeed and just changing the pipe over (as most of them are made for the WRX)

It seems the muffler I have is popular with Nissan/Honda drivers, when I google it the first couple pages were honda forums :(

• Admin

The rumble disappearing with any gas sounds exactly like my V7 with EL headers. You\'ll have to get underneath and have a look - changing the muffler almost certainly wouldn\'t be able to remove the rumble as it\'s solely a function of the headers.

Fixed it,

Went to Mr Muffler in Onehunga, he put on a new RPS Muffler and fabricated a new pipe from axle back as he said original looked rusty, now I got my rumble back :D

When he took the old one off he said it was sitting to far back, and whoever did the piping butchered it, but it\'s all sorted now, Thanks for everyones help :)