Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy shuddering whilst accelerating

Hey Ichi Ban,

Yeah I can see your frustration. In the case of my GTB shuddering / hesitant when cold I can at least say money has never been the issue in this case. Every mechanic has tried their best and put in many hours. Subaru have "run out of things to try" as they put it. Being the owner I am not ready to give up of course. They are well aware I am posting here as I speak to them fairly regularly on updates. I myself have only average knowledge. Just a typical owner. They are as enthusastic as I am in finding a solution. It would be a weight off our shoulders.

Anyhow I spoke to them today about the TPS which lead to an exicting development. They have replaced the TPS sensor itself but it is currently set to factory default meaning this potentially could be something. Going in on Saturday to get this looked at. Will know Sunday morning.

I in any case very much appreciate the assistance and will definitely be giving a small reward to the person who correctly identifies the problem which leads to the elimination of my cold engine issues. I have had this for 18 months, it is time for it to dissappear.

Thanks for everyone's continued help.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostin
 Ichi Ban said:

Funny how when guys here have a problem and have fixed it, they get tunnel vision that this is the sole cause of the said problem

( They don't say that they spent many hours testing with many 2nd hand parts to eliminate cause's)

The biggest problem here is

1, piss poor fault discription from the orginal thread starters.

2, guys with very little knowledge putting in the "guess" solutions

3, the tunnel vision approach.

I probably get banned for saying this but

THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM IS DIAGNOSTIC STRATAGEY ( MOST OF YOU HAVE NO IDEA! )

Sub's and infact any car- diagnostics stratagey is a sequence of logical steps

I get ****ed off when guys / gals here complain about how much a workshop cost to fix there car, yet would have spent x times longer and replaced more parts than was needed.

Also

SO MANY HERE WANT THE CHEAPEST OPTION, which backfires in there face and also workshops.

Most of you need to open your wallet and accept the fact that Sub's are not the cheapest to keep on the road

I fully agree with Rick.

Many a time we've had vehicles that need a lot of diagnostic work, like good ol' code 66. We tell people we need 2 hours for diagnosis, with no guaranteed outcome. If we do figure it out, then there's the time and parts for the repair. Usually they shit themselves at this, then realise they've spent more than double that on trying to fix it already by throwing random parts at it. 99% of the time we suss it in the 2 hours. Most people are then happy to throw hundreds of $$ worth of parts at it to correctly fix it, because they have a definite answer, not a "Oh, it might fix it". It all comes down to being told exactly what the fault is, what happened right before the fault occurred, and when the fault occurs.

All too often we get cars dropped of and told it does XXXXXXX when cold, and the cust is waiting for it. How are you meant to replicate the fault?? We simply tell them to rebook it for a time when we can have the car when its in the condition that makes it fault.

Just something to be aware of when dropping cars off for repairs. Try and see it from the other side.

richm - whereabouts are you taking it to?

Flamed - maybe :)

Funny how when guys here have a problem and have fixed it, they get tunnel vision that this is the sole cause of the said problem

( They don't say that they spent many hours testing with many 2nd hand parts to eliminate cause's)

The biggest problem here is

1, piss poor fault discription from the orginal thread starters.

2, guys with very little knowledge putting in the "guess" solutions

3, the tunnel vision approach.

I probably get banned for saying this but

THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM IS DIAGNOSTIC STRATAGEY ( MOST OF YOU HAVE NO IDEA! )

Sub's and infact any car- diagnostics stratagey is a sequence of logical steps

I get ****ed off when guys / gals here complain about how much a workshop cost to fix there car, yet would have spent x times longer and replaced more parts than was needed.

Also

SO MANY HERE WANT THE CHEAPEST OPTION, which backfires in there face and also workshops.

Most of you need to open your wallet and accept the fact that Sub's are not the cheapest to keep on the road

Well at least you got all that off your chest Ichi Ban, and it seems you really needed to get it off your chest. Now I suppose I could have joined a mechanics forum where everyone else knows more about cars than me and they complain about their customers coming in saying this and that, but I didn't have to and didn't want to. I joined a forum for Subaru enthusiast. Most of us come here for the same reason, to stand over other peoples engines, fold our arms, and say " yeah I think that might be this or that". That's what this place is for. Don't get me wrong Ichi Ban the help you have given poeple is fantastic but its by your own choosing to do so. Kepp doing what you do best. Just try not to make all us regular guys feel like **** for getting involved with other poeple who love the same thing we do. That would be a real shame.