Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Any one got an AVCR in a V5?

Having a bit of trouble with hoses... COM port goes to wastegate? NC to pressure side of turbo? NO goes atmosphere? Then block off old line from manifold... and old line from just after AFM...??? I\'m so confused... All i know, is the way i have it now, it ain\'t working! I have NC to line just after AFM, then COM to wategate and pressure side of turbo, tee\'d off to them both... only running wastegate spring pressure at moment of 1bar.

you sure waste gate spring pressure is 1 bar ? i dont think it will be , or do you have an external gate ? or aftermarket actuator

"no" to pressure source eg compressor housing

"com" to waste gate actuator

get rid of the t piece

the actuator goes inline(you can extend the hoses etc) where you have that t piece currently

http://www.fd3s.net/avc-r_manual.pdf

Yes, new turbo with an adjustable wastegate on it. Still internal wastegate. Ok, so i remove tee, and replace it with the Apexi boost solenoid? Then just block off the manifold pipe that goes to the factory setup?

the 3 way solenoid functions as a t in itself

does this look like your factory setup ?

intake.jpg

the T and two small pipes are on the turbo and not illustrated that well

and by the "line off the manifold " do you mean the one to the seperate(brown) solenoid and the map sensor ?

leave them alone .

i have removed them on my car(v3) but it will throw the engine light unless you replace them with resistors

i assume you have hooked up the map sensor on the avcr to the manifold aswell ?

are you going bigger turbo and more boost on the stock ecu ? i wouldnt have thought there was much head room left in the afm , injectors and ecu above 14psi , depending on your turbo

Ahh, so that\'s why i see engine light now. Do i need to keep the brown solenoid and map sensor plugged in? I thought i could just remove them! I\'ve got a brand new tdo5 that cost me an arm and a leg, so it is pretty much the best turbo i could get for my needs, torque and response. Not going for big numbers, 300HP at wheels is my goal. Running a Power FC ECU. Yes, i plumbed the AVCR pressure sensor into manifold. So what i should do, is plumb everything back to the way it was, plug in everything except boost factory boost controller. THEN, replace tee with AVCR Boost Solenoid, and use that tee to tee off factory solenoid just before map sensor and plug in AVCR pressure sensor, and should be a goer with no engine lights?

i dont actually know what the brown solenoid does . you can prolly turn them off in the pfc

i removed both on mine and taped 5 watt resistors from jaycar in place and hid the plugs out of sight

to get it going i would

plug in and re connect the brown solenoid and map sensor . ( deal with removing these after/ before / during a tune / dependent on pfc settings / tuner )

and

"no" to compressor housing

"com" to waste gate actuator

"nc" can go to the afm pipe . but if its not easy then just block the afm pipe and leave "nc" open

secret . um . ill go look .

in the brown plug i have 7 and 15 ohm in series giving 22 ohm

and in the other plug ( white i think ) i have 10 and 10 in series giving 20 ohm .

these are the boost controll solenoid (2 port) and the brown solenoid the is inline to the map sensor . i still have my map sensor connected to the plug but it is just vent to atmosphere

and jesus christ bitumen tape is hard to pull apart after its melted on in an engine bay

Cool, that was my next question about the pipe after the AFM. Soon as i don\'t have a barb to screw into the NC hole, i\'ll just block it for now. Might do that in the future though. Shame about the 5 watt resistors having to be done, but it does kind of make sense since the AVCR is just a standalone plug in mod, the computer still needs to know what\'s going on i suppose! Right, all done now, so i\'ll take it for a drive and see what happens. Then the fun of scrolling through 55 pages of figuring out what the thing can do begins!

lachlan said:

secret . um . ill go look .

in the brown plug i have 7 and 15 ohm in series giving 22 ohm

and in the other plug ( white i think ) i have 10 and 10 in series giving 20 ohm .

these are the boost controll solenoid (2 port) and the brown solenoid the is inline to the map sensor . i still have my map sensor connected to the plug but it is just vent to atmosphere

and jesus christ bitumen tape is hard to pull apart after its melted on in an engine bay

Put up a lil how to thread might win you some karmas lol. Handy to know tho seen the question a fair few times.

which avcr do you have ? the simple old black one . or the new big blue display one ?

did you take the factory restrictor out of the lines on the turbo / actuator ?

doing the self learn they will both overshoot target boost if it comes on suddenly but after 2-3 pulls will dial it out

if its the blue screen one it will have a memory and you need to reset it . the blue ones are a whole lot of fucking around with settings by the look of it

Yep, silver bodied blue screen. Beyond me eh... I will try find something online, and keep playing round. I think the self learning mode only applies for gears and rpm and speeds, not boost levels.

Just thought I would post this up for anyone else struggling with a AVCR install. After loads of internet surfing, and some trial and error, the following works for hose plumbing;

COM - Wastegate

NO - Pressure side of turbo

Little plug after the AFM - Block this off. It MAY be possible to plumb this into the NC hole with another barbed fitting, but since i don\'t have one, i can neither confirm nor deny this works! It should do, no difference bleeding off to atmosphere or back into the intake pipe.

Ever wondered what the abbreviations mean?

NO - Normally Open

NC- Normally Closed

COM - Still no idea... they call the inlet manifold a "surgetank", so fuk knows!

WRX runs a Normally Open pressured boost control.

My Boost Cut occurs at 1.3bar, no doubt it\'s lower if you have factory ECU, so don\'t go in first up and crank it round to 1.5bar and start cursing "piece of s*** doesn\'t work!". Remember you\'ll still have bits of the factory set up monitoring the situation, or if you opt to rip it all out, you\'ll have the check engine light come on full time as discussed above!

For some very interesting reading, and a thorough break down about the factory turbo system and control, installing various styles of boost controllers on both internal and external wastegates, have a read of this page i found on the net. It has words, diagrams, photos, dos and don\'ts, and if you can\'t find the info you\'re looking for, well, i don\'t know what you could possibly be looking for!!!

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70674.htm

Oh, one last thing, highly likely one bought the AVCR second hand, so i strongly recommend doing an "initialize" under the "etc" menu. For starters, this brings down your boost level and duty to base tune levels, but more importantly engages the "self learn" option. You\'ll find more about turning it off probably than keeping it on, and I\'ve not read the entire 50 page manual yet, but i can tell you, it has functions out its ASS! Unless you know fully what they all do, just have a play with the boost levels and duty first up, and let the thing handle the rest. It\'s not the best boost controller in the world just for its fancy blue screen! HAHA! ENJOY. ;D P.S. thanks to Lachlan for the help and quick replies, appreciated!

NC = normally closed

COM = common i believe . as in it common between the other 2

yeah it makes sense that com is waste gate and no is pressure supply . if you think about how a solenoid works itd have to be that way .

maybe the part of the instructions i was lookin at was a vehicle specific part .

shoulda just looked at my car lol

Whoops, NC was it. My bad. Yes and no. Easier to run boost from ecu, and tidier, but you would have to get the hand controller from Apexi to play around with it and change stuff yourself, and i don\'t know if they even still make them for an old GC8. I never emailed them to ask. The AVCR was on trademe, it was cheap, so i thought why not eh...