Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine Help

hey guys to cut a long story short, I\'m looking for a replacement engine for my gc8 v4 I went and looked at one today they are trying to tell me its v4 but the thing that stood out to me is its running the old cylinder cambelt tensioner instead of the aluminium one mine is running. Any ideas? I\'m suspect its v3 and if so anyone know the exact differences internal wise? ie: pistons etc

Cheers N STI HL

The problem with that is they have never had it running as the car was fire damaged so it is abit of a gamble, and I don\'t want to be in the same position 6months down the track when Ive got contacts to get a blueprinted short block for a couple extra grand

Ideally I just want to know the difference, like obviously my heads are different which I

can swap over no problem but other than that did v3 have the same forged pistons? And if I was going to go to alot of trouble I will just

Get the closed deck blueprinted short block..

Guest hate-evoz

V3 STI and V4 both will fit in your v4

Make sure the block is an EJ20K and has smooth rocker cover as opposed to the grooved ones found on old school RS legacys

Inlet manifold, V3 and V4 look the same will get a pic to show

V34FRONT.jpg

PA280076.jpg

Guest hate-evoz

bottom pic is just an example of a smooth rocker/not sure if that exact engine is an ej20k though 0 cheers

Thanks man for the reply, yea i know it will fit and work no prob And its def the smooth rocker covers on it I was just suspect about the tensioner as to why they say its v4 running an old cylinder tensioner. Cheers

Cause the old ones are regarded as better and its all pretty easily interchangeable perhaps?

These motors are getting old and finding one that is the same as when it left the factory is getting harder and harder.

I think everyone is missing my point, I know all the obvious shit, I want to know the difference internal wise I\'m a mechanic, i know I can make it work i know all the usual information I don\'t know what was changed between the v3 and v4 and that is what I want to know. Cheers

There was a cam profile difference documented on here somewhere I think by optical.

Dunno why you would waste your time tbh just buy the $1500 new blueprinted v7 sti short since you can do the work yourself. Better all round and without the dice roll.

N STI HL said:

I think everyone is missing my point, I know all the obvious s***, I want to know the difference internal wise I\'m a mechanic, i know I can make it work i know all the usual information I don\'t know what was changed between the v3 and v4 and that is what I want to know. Cheers

About 2/3rds of F all.

The big difference was between V2 and V3. I\'d be surprised if the internals of the block on the V3 and V4 have any differences at all. Same with the heads as far as I know.

Guest hate-evoz

Pm titan he knows of a cheap blueprinted block going for 1.5k iirc or just go back a few pages back he posted it up couple days ago

Always thought V3 STi had more better heads than V4 but that\'s only what ive read. both shimunderbucket

Search google man there will be loads of info to cover all your questions. Good luck with your car

titian']

[quote name='Ninjr said:

Hey Peeps

Anyone out there have a V7 EJ207 short block?

Not too fussed about condition as we will be cracking it open for a refresh anyways, so long as no holes in block etc.

Cheers

/quote]

Contact the parts department Winger Auckland. Was offered a new group "N" spec V7 block yesterday . VERY good price!

Okay further to the above:- Its brand new in a box Contact Peter Hutchins 09 522 2022. $1500 Best deal you will get. ;)

Whats different with the "N" spec? N = Nitrated? :o

Short block rebuilt to "Group N" spec for a rally car. DAMN good value!

This was the block I was talking about ^^

Youre talking about doing a decent block later so why not just do it once and right. Like you say who knows how good the engine is/how many real km its done/whether it has a blown H/G/hole in piston or anything. Gaskets -$200 pair gen.

You said you can get a forged short for couple extra grand. If this V3 sti long is costing you 3k you should seriously keep looking.

Cheers man, Ive just been battling with ideas you know, I wanted to go the pbms shortblock but the coin is the hold back, the wreckers wanted 1800+ but your right there is no way I\'d buy it, not even considering it. I\'d sooner get a seconh hand crank for 150 and get some machining a even a new set of rods or even could just replace the f\'d one, a mate of mine is service manager for wingers I will hit him up! Cheers

Koom']

[quote name='N STI HL said:

I think everyone is missing my point, I know all the obvious s***,b] I want to know the difference internal wise[/b] I\'m a mechanic, i know I can make it work i know all the usual information I don\'t know what was changed between the v3 and v4 and that is what I want to know. Cheers

About 2/3rds of F all.

The big difference was between V2 and V3. I\'d be surprised if the internals of the block on the V3 and V4 have any differences at all. Same with the heads as far as I know.

Yea the v2 was closed deck so thats the road I was kinda always looking to go, I can get a cheap v2 block a crank and whatever else i need and swap my v4 s*** over or get a blueprinted on, cheers for the thoughts guys it does help me try nut out what im guna do :)

Put some decent rods (mostly the bolts that need to be good) in it if you\'re rebuilding it. The V4 pistons are reasonable but all the rods below V7 are the weak point imo. I\'ve only seen pistons let go due to bad tune, yet the rods have let me down just from rod bolt failure.

Koom said:

Put some decent rods (mostly the bolts that need to be good) in it if you\'re rebuilding it. The V4 pistons are reasonable but all the rods below V7 are the weak point imo. I\'ve only seen pistons let go due to bad tune, yet the rods have let me down just from rod bolt failure.

Cheers getting my heads off today but from what I can see with the pants off the bores look swt so I\'m assuming they are swt :D

evowrx said:

I heard a rumor that the closed deck blocks had smaller oil galleries and I know PBMS do an oil mod on them. Could be a wifes tale like I said it was an unconfirmed rumour.

Your right man they do drill them out but thats mean\'t to be a secret haha

N STI HL']

[quote name='evowrx said:

I heard a rumor that the closed deck blocks had smaller oil galleries and I know PBMS do an oil mod on them. Could be a wifes tale like I said it was an unconfirmed rumour.

/quote]

Your right man they do drill them out but thats mean\'t to be a secret haha

NZ - There are no secrets

http://www.gcsb.govt.nz/