Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

has a version 3 sti only got 220 BHP at the wheels

Hi

I was told today that if i put my version 3 sti on a dyno it would only produce 220BHP at the wheels

I sure thats wrong i know a UK spec 2001 bug eye standard WRX produces 218BHP

From reading specs the Jap spec is highter then an UK spec.

I thought i would have 280BHP or am i just wishing

Also is it worth doing a dyno if my car is completely stock

thanks love this site love talking Subaru.

junkwasp said:

Hi

I was told today that if i put my version 3 sti on a dyno it would only produce 220BHP at the wheels

I sure thats wrong i know a UK spec 2001 bug eye standard WRX produces 218BHP

From reading specs the Jap spec is highter then an UK spec.

I thought i would have 280BHP or am i just wishing

Also is it worth doing a dyno if my car is completely stock

thanks love this site love talking Subaru.

that 220bhp is assuming its kept a lot of its original power. to be completely honest you will probably struggle to even make that on the dyno. your car is now 16 years old and you gotta cut it some slack haha

Considering when the V3 was made it in 1996 it produced peak power of 276 bhp (205 kW) @ 6500 rpm off the factory line, and it is now 17 years old. I would say unless you have done some serious mods to the car 220 would be an amazing result.

Also the V3 is a great building block car capable of huge numbers if loved properly and money spent in the right places.

Small bit of confusion here

The UK generally reads in BHP - meaning flywheel (or brake) horsepower - which is a guesstimate of flywheel power derived from wheel HP

Generally you will lose 30% (give or take) in drivetrain loss from engine to wheels

Example being a dead stock STi generally makes in the vicinity of 160kW at the wheels - depending on dyno but its a ballpark number - from what "should" be 205kW / 276hp at the engine. there are power losses through gearbox, diff etc - you can even change the power reading through different profile tyres if you get nitty gritty as it will change the gearing oh so slightly.

The UK forums/dyno shops etc tend to make people feel better by always giving that "estimate" of what should be at the engine - not the actual power measured.