Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

low oil pressure, check engine light on and engine making knocking/ticking noise

hi i tried a search and couldnt find anything so am trying this. my ver 8 has been making a funny knocking or ticking noise in the engine once it has warmed up, no noise when it is cold after start up but once warm you can hear it. the check engine light is on and also the oil pressure drops to below 200kPa. i will take it to get the check engine code checked but am wondering if anyone on here has any ideas as well?

i read to try giving it an oil and filter change and to put it back on 98oct gas, which i have since done but although this makes the noise less prominent it is still there sometimes and the light stays on.

have also seen that it could be the oil pump so will look at that too.

could it also be the seals or hydraulic lifters? i went to start it one day and it wouldnt start like it was getting no compression, got a mobile mechanic to have a look and he was saying the lifters can sometimes go funny and that makes the oil drop out the bottom, he checked the oil and saw it was empty(which was only like 2000kms after i had given it an oil change) so we put more in then he towed me to kickstart it which it did but since then have had the ticking/knocking noise coming from the engine.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

cheers guys

Lol yeah I might have to take it to d-tech. Lil bit of info though I have been driving still as its my only wheels at the moment...

So I\'m not too car savvy, what\'s beb? And nope no smoke. Apart from the ticking the car runs sweet as still

pipdogg13 said:

Lol yeah I might have to take it to d-tech. Lil bit of info though I have been driving still as its my only wheels at the moment...

So I\'m not too car savvy, what\'s beb? And nope no smoke. Apart from the ticking the car runs sweet as still

BEB is big end bearing. But reading your original post again. I\'m now thinking your AVCS might be stuck on, on one bank. (cam stuck at full advance or full retard).

Also with the Oil Pressure dropping when the AVCS is faulting.

Probably caused by the Oil Feed Filter at the AVCS Solenoid, pushing out? How soon can you get it diagnosed?

Chances are if it was the Big End Bearing knocking it would be dead by now, or failing rapidly.

But...If I had a CEL, oil pressure dropping, a knock or ticking, also with random low oil levels. I wouldn\'t drive it at all?

At least until you know exactly what it is, you could do some "serious mechanical damage"... :-\

• Admin

Check engine light, noises and running out of oil in 2000km? Something is badly, badly wrong. Modern cars don\'t consume oil at that kind of rate unless something is quite bung.

I\'m picking a cracked ring land causing excessive breathing. How much oil is in your intercooler?

And for bonus internet psychic points, I\'m going to guess it\'s cracked because it gets run on 95 octane some or all of the time.

It doesn\'t run out of oil it was out then but hasn\'t done it again yet this latest oil change. It ticks at idle goes away over 1500rpm. Will get it tomorrow it\'s just parked up for now, PS you\'re right about 95 as 98 hard to come by here

• 2 weeks later...

Might be heading thru to Gisborne in a couple/few weeks if still not sorted could possibly have a quick listen for you and see what I think assuming you are where your profile states.. See how you go otherwise but if not sorted by them just PM me to remind me lol.

Cheers Marc