Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

something not right with the RS

Been noticing abit of a problem with the legacy.

When Im driving normal it tends to sortv jump like its running out of gas when I leave it reving on around 2500 revs through each gear change...its not real bad jumping as I call it...but you can definatly feel it while driving.

Also if I was to boost it will spike real bad and if I was to take my foot off the gas while driving then lightly gas it, it then responds like half a second later but with a kick and then to top it off, Ive noticed the revs will drop real low when Ive either come to a complete stop or sometimes through gear changes and at a stop the revs will slowly creep back up to around 1K.

I was getting error codes as faulty 1-3 injectors and air flow meter. I have changed all 4 injectors to sti yellows as I am running a chipped ecu and also another air flow meter from trade me which Im not sure if it was a good AFM but I havn't come up with any errors and the car hasnt stalled on me..but it hasn't made the problem go away. I have just put in new spark plugs and new oil change also when replacing injectors I ran through some CRC injector cleaner.

Things I'm guessing it might be.

Boost solinoid

and/or Fuel pump

and hopefully not my ecu.

What do you guys think??

What is the chip your running? is it tuned for yellowtops?

It could be any one or a number of things, Here is a few things to follow up.

Leaking BOV (for failing revs), Failing fuel pump (if its a stocker they can partially/instantly fail), AFM (Try a mates one that works), Coils (this is a big possibility specially if they are the original ones) Throttle posistion sensor, IAVC

Boost leak, check all your joins for tension and check the post turbo to intercooler hose.

What spark plugs did you put in? ie part number.

its a dynamic chip...and how do I get it tuned to run the yellows??

Checked I have used the factory bov and still same problem. Coils are near brandnew.

Where can I find the throttle posistion sensor?? and sorry for my noobieness but what is the IAVC haha...

forgot the part # of the plugs but the guy at auto 1 in manukau got me them theyr the ngk irridiums

cheers mate

Throttle position sensor is to the left of the throttle body, it should throw a code if its failed and given your symptoms it's unlikely to be the TPS.

Here's a link on how to clean your idle air control valve (IAVC) it'll show you the location, when these get dirty they can give surging or throttle resistance.

If you ask for model specific plugs, they should be pre-gapped to 0.8mm so best call the dude up and make sure.

As far as the chip is concerned, I have heard of chips being setup for yellowtop injectors, i checked www.re-map.co.nz and they don't offer a different chip for your injectors and if you didn't inform them of the injectors then it won't be setup to cope.

Basically if you run 440cc injectors on your stock ECU (chip or no chip) it'll run dull be down on power and after a short time it will foul your nice new sparkplugs and miss. My moneys on this to cure your issues.

Try and get yourself a set of 380s install them and recheck your sparkplugs for fouling.

The guy that installed my chip did say to get some yellow top injectors but I hadnt done so for a little while...allso I have 2 sets of grey top 380s and have tryed both sets but same ol problem. The first set were definatly stuffed as I got error codes with them.

I havnt lost power since the yellow tops have been in just that it hasnt cured the same old problem with or with out the yellow top injectors. I have also done the split fuel rail setup...and it idles ok starts fine.

Hey mate can I grab your IAVC link please

cheers.

Guest sleeperfoz

ok a couple of good questions here.

how much boost are you running?

what was boost max for the chip?

what is your plug gap set at?

have you a boost tap or ebc?

The guy that installed my chip did say to get some yellow top injectors :-\

you did ask him on the auction and he replied that he would have to scale to suite,but you could try and see how you go.

it says on the auction that it is a remap chip :-\

wildturkey']

what fuel pump u running bro? Is this something that's only just started happening ...or something that started after you did a mod?

Its suppose to be a wrx fuel pump I bought from trade me not sure what version though...and it just started happening..my last afm was definatly stuffed as it was giving me error codes and stalling the car.

[quote name='sleeperfoz said:

ok a couple of good questions here.

how much boost are you running?

what was boost max for the chip?

what is your plug gap set at?

have you a boost tap or ebc?

The guy that installed my chip did say to get some yellow top injectors :-\

you did ask him on the auction and he replied that he would have to scale to suite,but you could try and see how you go.

it says on the auction that it is a remap chip :-\

Car is running 13 psi

not sure what the max boost is but it said in the auction it raises to 1 bar

have no idear what gap the plugs are set at...all I know is its the same plugs I had in the last time I changed em

and nope no boost tap or ebc...but will be investing in an ebc pretty soonish

Yeah it says remap on this auction but on the older auctions he was selling the chip. I dunno what remapping is??...but he definatly did tell me to upgrade my injectors and fuel pump...not sure if the wrx fuel pumps are much of an upgrade tho.

Guest sleeperfoz

if the chip is for 1bar or 14.96 psi.

you need to run it at that.

get the plugs gapped for 1 bar of boost when you get the tap or ebc.

quick gt has had some experience with these and the surging was his plug gap.

i have mine set to 0.6 and it runs 16 psi or more when i feel like it. no surge

thats a standard pump and yellows i use.

do the simple first,check coils,gap plugs,if nothing changes fuel pressure test :)

QUIKGT said:

Yeah I have a Dynamic Race chip in my 90 GT. Runs 17psi happy as on yellows.

Originally I ran 18psi, but the boost kept blowing out the spark. I closed the gap down to 0.6mm and it was fine. AFR's weren't too flash at that boost level, but that was the chip, not the fuel pump, injectors etc.

To be safe, leave the yellows in, or don't boost on the greys. You'll risk leaning it out if the chip is actually for yellows and you fit greys.

Get your fuel pressure checked, the AFM output checked and pull your coils out and check they're not all cracked and falling apart on the tips.

If he bought an off the shelf chip for a face lift Legacy turbo (16 bit) then it will be tuned for 380s is your dynamic race chip tailored for yellowtops?

Yeah Iv been running the chip since last year around June and has been going mint ever since went to the guys house to get this done...Ive done 2 spark plug changes...the last one I done just about 2 weeks ago I didnt need to but did anyway...I will get the gaps sussed out tho but I think the best thing for me to do about the chip is to go to the guy and get the chip re scaled as I dont think he'l remember what he tuned the ecu for - yellows/greys.

However, the problem with the car has come up before I put the new spark plugs and yellows in. At first it was giving me errors of faulty AFM and injectors 1 - 3....I changed all 4 injectors over with some more grey tops and swapped the AFM...but that didnt cure the problem just took away the error codes. Then I put the yellows in still no change. What ever stuffed my original injectors and AFM is what I want to find out. I havnt had any more cel code errors.

well as far as I know...just that I didnt gap the last plugs and theyr exactly the same and the car was going good...allthough Im thinking I better get that done too!...and yup the coils I havnt tested so that will be another thing to do along with a new walbro fuel pump and clean the IAVC