Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ej20g running 2 cyl

rtstk1

Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to ask so if someone could point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

So have just got myself a 92 gt legacy with coil issues. Picked the car up thinking it was just coils so got it home and replaced with known working coils and still no spark in both passengers side cylinders. Could the coils have gone to crap or is there something else wrong? Will idle and start but is really rough as you would expect from a Subaru running 2 cylinders lol any help would be grateful thanks

Ok guys have tried new coils and new plugs. Tried 3 different ignitors. if I pull the coils from drivers side it dies straight away. Pull the coils on other side and no change. Swapped them around to rule out it was not a coil fault and still no change. Will still start and run but still rough with passenger side coils unplugged any ideas? Injectors maybe? no cel and did a check just to make sure and it just constantly flashes?

Rosssub said:
Have you tried checking the spark? Earthing the base of a plug onto the block while someone else turns it over.

Nah I haven't tried that but I have pulled the coils from the crap side out while running and there's a spark there/arc that I can see. Idle slightly changes as I move the coil around etc

Rosssub said:
Have you got a multi meter or 12v test light to check the injectors for power?

Yip I used a test light on both the injectors and the coils plug and both showed power? Could try a multi meter when I find it lol

Test light should be good enough. You can also check for injector pulse, by connecting the test light between the opposite injector terminal and the positive battery terminal. Then get someone to turn the engine over. The light should flash every time the injector gets an earth pulse from the ECU.

Rosssub said:
Test light should be good enough. You can also check for injector pulse, by connecting the test light between the opposite injector terminal and the positive battery terminal. Then get someone to turn the engine over. The light should flash every time the injector gets an earth pulse from the ECU.

So that's a negative for injector pulse on that side? How to fix or what's needed now?

Rosssub said:

There's a short or break in the loom, between the injectors and ECU. Check the main loom plugs behind the battery and loom plugs at the ECU. Makes sure all connections are tight, all contacts/pins clean and dry.

if it was a short would there be a fuse blown or something for just that side?

Have checked all the wiring and nothing burnt out or frayed or shorting on anything. Everything is still in its factory wrapping untouched etc. Opened some areas to check and have found nothing? Possibly a stuffed ecu?

Rosssub said:
Disconnect the main plugs near the battery and look inside the plugs with a torch. Look for corrosion on the pins or any water/oil/etc.

1 drop of water between 2 pins is enough to create a short.

Sweet will have 1 more look to make sure. If so then what am I looking at to fix it?

Rosssub said:

Just tried this on my wagon with a 12v test light and it doesn't work. Did you find the multi meter? Or just stick the end of a long screw driver on the injector then put your ear on the handle and see if you can hear the injector ticking.

Rosssub said:

Just tried this on my wagon with a 12v test light and it doesn't work. Did you find the multi meter? Or just stick the end of a long screw driver on the injector then put your ear on the handle and see if you can hear the injector ticking.

I did it exactly as you said to do it? With the test light? And no didn't bother looking for the multi meter because you said test light should do?

Ok so now back to square 1...... tested injectors with multi meter and there is injector pulse. If I pull the injector plugs from passenger side the revs don't drop straight away but slowly start dropping to the point of hunting for revs. So I'm back to thinking maybe coils? Or could it be something else? Maybe a blocked injectors or something? So confused right now

so..

plugs....OK

coils....swapped OK

ignitior...have you removed a spark plug, stuck it into the plugged in coil, earthed the base of the spark plug on the engine while cranking, to check for good spark as Rossub suggested? (protip, also unplug injectors on cylinders missing a spark plug or fuel mist will be sprayed around)

assuming no spark from either cylinder,

assuming ignitor is OK because you're using a known good one

-> check wiring from coil to ignitor

-> check wiring from ECU to ignitor

-> check ECU

kamineko said:
so..

plugs....OK

coils....swapped OK

ignitior...have you removed a spark plug, stuck it into the plugged in coil, earthed the base of the spark plug on the engine while cranking, to check for good spark as Rossub suggested? (protip, also unplug injectors on cylinders missing a spark plug or fuel mist will be sprayed around)

assuming no spark from either cylinder,

assuming ignitor is OK because you're using a known good one

-> check wiring from coil to ignitor

-> check wiring from ECU to ignitor

-> check ECU

OK will try this in morning thanks