Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1996 GTB General Questions

Leufkax

Hi all, I very recently acquired a 1996 GTB. A few questions - what are the best twin turbos to have on these? The primary is whining away and not holding boost properly, wondering what sort of turbo

it is likely to have (VFxx) and if it's worth upgrading them with another model - both turbos have wastegates. I know plenty about BC/BF shape but my knowledge is extremely limited on these. Also wondering, I have a set of Cusco adjusties for a BF5, will they go on, and does the standard ABS/ master cylinder mind 4 piston brakes? Thanks!

My RS-B sedan is running 4 pots with no issues. I also have a 96 GT-B running brembos all round with no issues. Most likely vf18/19 if they're still standard and it's manual. vf20/21 if it's auto. If the secondary DOES have a wastegate it's a vf14. VF26/31 could be considered "upgrades" if you can't find another vf18.

Cellphone jammed down to try and get a picture of the compressor housing and what is stamped into it?

Primary is passengers' side

Best bet for upgrades as said is off the later shape (VF26 & 27 pair), or better yet just go single

There is some mix and matching you can do to make bastard little units too, hit up "telemekas" on here he knows the details on what works with what pretty well.

I just bought a vf27 and 28 for less than Strong's wanted for a vf18, score. I have most of the stuff lying around to do a single conversion: v4 sti engine, exhaust, gbox xmember, fmic, but this is my daily and can't afford to have it off the road! I understand next step is fmic and decat for these. What difference would the new turbos make over the old ones, assuming no other changes?

Silicone turbo to intercooler pipes are nice, and would still be used if you chose to go the FMIC route. http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?39580-TT-TMIC-pipe-upgrade-revision-3

Hose 1 mod, boost loss during VOD is reduced by adding a restrictor pill into hose 1. Personally after driving with a parallel setup then going straight to a sequential setup with the hose 1 mod, I prefer it stock. Yes boost loss is more dramatic but my pants seat-o meter likes it more once the secondary starts boosting as well. http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?40911-Inside-the-BBOD

Are you sure it's a vf28 and not a vf26?

Edit: And hose 10 mod is a gen 3 thing. 2nd gen's already have the bov line going straight from the manifold to bov/bpv.

Edited by Skatieguy

The 2 pipes coming off the turbos and going into the top mount stay where they are, and the first bit of FMIC piping is bolted onto these or vice-verse. One of the 2 has the IACV which is closed on primary only and opened during vod/ secondary. I'm sure someone else can explain it better than me.

MAF to under intake mani pipe is a slight improvement. I believe the one linked is the incorrect size for ours but I could be wrong. ZeroSports do a stainless one if that's what you're after.

IMG_20150705_171427414_zps5vexlsx8.jpg

I've got an MBC on mine and it seems to do OK. Don't think there's much benefit in using an EBC over an MBC on these, Marky may know more about them.