Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Upgrading stock Macintosh Amp + Sub in 07 Legacy

BeeRad

Searched through the threads but couldnt find anything specific to what I am after.

Has anyone done this or know where I could get this done?

Would rather do it myself so if anyone knows any compatible upgrades that are fairly plug n play??

Want to keep the Macintosh head unit and speakers (for now) but feel the amp and sub just dont give enough.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Admin

Not the easiest task to undertake. Need to splice into the main multi core wire feeding the amp and then re route that to a new amp that can take a high level input.

Or alternatively keep the mcintosh amp in use and run the outputs through RCA hi low level converters to feed the new amp with a RCA source. Although inneficiant this may be the better solution as the Mcintosh headunit does not have a sub output and it is infact synthesised within the mcintosh amp. So this is the bast way to do it if you plan on using an aftermarket sub

The speaker impedance is also an issue. So you have to make sure the speaker wiresare run the same way to maintain 4ohm impedance.

Wow thanks! I didnt realize how big of a job it would be.... maybe ill just pay someone to do it so I have someone other than myself to blame if it dosent work :D haha.

Assuming with the setup as is I wouldnt get a better low range if I only upgraded the sub? Just dont get as much of a kick from it as id like.

But if so any recommendations?

• Admin

With these ones since the amp powers the sub and all the speakers replacing it is rather involved. Easiest thing to do to get more doof doof is to buy a new sub and amp. Then find the wires attached to the stock sub. Extend them to a hi lo level converter which then gives the rca input for your amp. This is exactly what i ran with mine before completely gutting it out and replacing everything

BeeRad said:
Wow thanks! I didnt realize how big of a job it would be.... maybe ill just pay someone to do it so I have someone other than myself to blame if it dosent work :D haha.

Assuming with the setup as is I wouldnt get a better low range if I only upgraded the sub? Just dont get as much of a kick from it as id like.

But if so any recommendations?

I recently went though the upgrade saga on the legacy, and yes I do like a little extra doof doof. By far the best mod I did was to dynamat the front doors, and replace the 6.5" with the compatible ones at Jaycar for $41.50 each. All up it cost

$115 for Dynamat door kit (Abtec)

$83 for 6.5 speakers at Jaycar

$20 for MDF spacer rings

$0 real estate sign for placing over the larger holes in door

$40 for some sound proofing foam to line over top of Dynamat (Jay Car)

Mid bass was drastically improved off the stock amp\headunit.

Do that first and then decide if you want to do a sub upgrade.

BeeRad said:
Sounds legit to me haha! Might give both a try, I still have an amp and sub from my previous car as only got the Legacy this year so wont be an expensive upgrade in the mean time.

Thanks for the help!

For sure, I should also mention I did upgrade the stock sub but still run it off the factory amp

- dynamat the whole parcel tray

- MDF spacer to raise new sub about 15mm up

- use a shallow mount sub (unless you have model without the torsion springs to lift boot)

Hardest part was finding a sub that was

a) free air \ infinate baffle capable

b) lowish RMS rating 120RMS or less

c) high sensitivity

d) shallow enough to clear the torsion spring that tucks in when boot closed

Ended up going for a GRS 8" Subwoofer from Parts Express $60 shipped, OK bass but does distort above 30 on the volume, still better than rattly blown factory one. If I were to do again definately be going for the Pioneer SW841d Shallow mount sub.