Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Messed up GC8 HX20

Hey guys,

I have a rather rooted HX20.... hahah gears are slow to select when cold, engine is also tappy when cold.... and whole car vibrates solidly till about 5000rpm when accelerating...

Just wondering what would be involved in swapping it for another engine + manual conversion? plus disk brakes in the rear as is only drummies atm?? is it a mission and a half??

cheers!

Cool, I've got no worries with wiring :) have done a fair bit in the past :) guessing it would just be similar to sr20det -> skyline rb25det -> cefiro type shit.... should be mint :)

So for the brakes at the rear end....entire subframe required? and am guessing i should replace the hx diff as its about the size of an apple.

Fellow HX20s owner in here. And if you want to talk to someone that knows them better than the back of your hand...check out the ChlubSUB IRC channel ;) He may live in Auckland but err yeah...he knows those things inside out.

What model of HX is it exactly... HX20s, or just the HX20? Also, what version? Pity the timing is a little off as I'm making my ver4 HX20s a 6MT shortly...and not sure if the gear will fit in my Legacy (but I can MAKE IT >D)...

Also re: brakes - I've had the rear drum conversion. You need the hubs as well as the calipers/rotors. It's a pig only because the parts like to stay stuck...worth it in the end. It may be worth your time getting that STi setup though, considering that will balance far better than my current setup with the stock fronts.

For your manual conversion you're going to need a few parts - manual propshaft being one. :)

Ticking engine...if it's just a light ticking when cold, I'll bet it's lifters...there are a few tricks to get it to shut up.

Best to jump into the chatroom and discuss at length with those of us with the same cars eh ;)

Partially bling, I will confess.

Also, better gear ratios for a lower-powered vehicle, DCCD on a near-indestructible box, obviously well-matched to Brembos (which I have a near-complete set sitting of there), and...unlike my current gearbox...won't explode when I do my 2.2L build.

I'm also making something of my old blown 20G... I might let the Impreza 'look after' it for a while. Won't be too hard to wire in... and as above, current gearbox will explode if the clutch doesn't BURNINATE first ;D Both are made of fail and herpes.

I could have but I wanted that 6MT. Quality over quantity after all...I don't necessarily want the cheapest box I can get. Not to say the WRX RA ones are poor quality of course... but c'mon, if it's worth doing it's worth overdoing ;D

Trans code...not sure, Legacy is with me today, not the Prez :-\