Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VIN number, VIR number?

Hey guys, a question for you NZers :) Here in the US, when we're about to purchase a used car, we can check the car's VIN number to get a history of the car. You guys seem to use something called VIR? It kinda confused me. Is VIR just a service to basically check VIN numbers?

Over here, VIN numbers are given freely, as hiding it would seem suspicious. Is it the same way in NZ, even when dealing with car dealers? I'm asking because I asked for the VIN number and the dealer said it's only given at point of purchase.

I'm probably gonna have some more stupid/obvious questions as I get closer and closer to moving to NZ and get closer to purchasing a car. Hopefully you guys can tolerate :P

But isn't a plate number registered specifically to a person, and not through a car's lifetime? So if I want the whole history of the car, could I get that which just its most recent plate number?

yea the plate stays with the car its whole life unless its changed for some reason but all previous plates will still be listed. its different to the states, i know the plate belongs to the owner not the car right?

have a look at this site, carjam.co.nz, you can search a car by reg plate or vin number.

Thanks everyone, it makes a lot more sense now. Pretty amazing the free service you get with carjam. I wish we had a free one like that here in the US.

Now if only NZ had used car standard price guides......

Grifter730']

Hey guys, a question for you NZers :) Here in the US, when we're about to purchase a used car, we can check the car's VIN number to get a history of the car. You guys seem to use something called VIR? It kinda confused me. Is VIR just a service to basically check VIN numbers?

Hey Grifter, We are also known as a Kiwi, bro 8), haha.

A VIR, Vehicle Information Report. Checks a vehicle's legal status, owner history, warrant & registration status and more.

Follow this link for sample. http://www.vir.co.nz/reference/43888db2

This information doesn't come for free either grifter, this service cost about $25-30kiwi and is more indept than carjam. So lets hope this helps you closer to owning your 1st right-hand drive car dude. ;)

[quote name='Grifter730 said:

Thanks everyone, it makes a lot more sense now. Pretty amazing the free service you get with carjam. I wish we had a free one like that here in the US.

Ok dude lets hope this gives you guidelines to what type of vehicle you would like to own, and a guide on what sort of prices you would expect to pay. :-\

follow this link url=http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-motors/index.htm]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-motors/index.htm[/url]

We also allow left hookers on our roads, if your not ready to drive a right-hand drive haha. ;D

EVOETR']

Hey Grifter, We are also known as a Kiwi, bro 8), haha.

A VIR, Vehicle Information Report. Checks a vehicle's legal status, owner history, warrant & registration status and more.

Follow this link for sample. http://www.vir.co.nz/reference/43888db2

This information doesn't come for free either grifter, this service cost about $25-30kiwi and is more indept than carjam. So lets hope this helps you closer to owning your 1st right-hand drive car dude. ;)

[quote name='Grifter730 said:

/quote]

Ok dude lets hope this gives you guidelines to what type of vehicle you would like to own, and a guide on what sort of prices you would expect to pay. :-\

follow this link http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-motors/index.htm

We also allow left hookers on our roads, if your not ready to drive a right-hand drive haha. ;D

only existing,special interest or special use NO new ones are allowed AFAIK, all have to be converted to RHD ASAP

Yeah I've been scouring trademe for a couple of weeks now, and the price ranges vary quite a bit even for similar cars, so it's a bit daunting.

DRFVDR said:

only existing,special interest or special use NO new ones are allowed AFAIK, all have to be converted to RHD ASAP

There's a loophole, as far as I'm aware. If you've owned the LHD vehicle for more than three months overseas, and can prove that you've actually driven it overseas within that three month period, you can apply for an exemption even if the car was almost new when you purchased it.

Naturally, YMMV etc