keeweechris

Best way to move BH5 primary turbo back 20mm?

I'm doing the old twin turbo intake pipe replacement, and finally got the thing back together today EXCEPT for the inlet of the primary turbo. The bendy part of the intake pipe had to be bent up to bolt the last manifold bolt on, and I assumed it could then be fitted to the primary turbo inlet. But I've pushed and pulled and got to that point where I know it will tear if I roughhouse it any more.

Any tips?

I think I need to loosen the primary turbo somehow to move it back, drop the intake pipe into place, then slide the turbo back. So it looks like the primary downpipe needs to come off to access the 3rd turbo/uppipe bolt underneath. Can I just drop the downpipe off, or do I need to completely disassemble the whole exhaust?

Turning into an ass of a job, mid-winter, in the driveway.

just had that problem with intake pipe trying to take manifold off so would assume it'd be the opposite way... removed primary DP

removed primary turbo

then primary intake could come off...

a lot of effort to just remove intake manifold

you might need to remove hoses if it won't move enough though, i could barely manage 5mm of movement with just the bottom hose coming off the turbo 

did you get the right one....

or did you use an aftermarket replacement? (ie new?

Got the job done today. Yeah, dropped the prim dp off (had to angle-grind rear bolts off), then was able to loosen turbo just enough to slide it back about 10mm and wedgie the intake pipe on. That coolant pipe under the turbo must be an ass to reattach! I left it on, but it was the thing stopping the turbo moving further. If I did it all again, I'd loosen the sec turbo too. Too risky rough-housing those rubber bits.

Joker, I found a good condition 2nd-hand pipe for $40. Rubber ends were thick and solid. Tempted to go with an ebay silicone one, but still about $300 and I'm not planning on making this into racer.

Such a huge job just to fix 1 part. Not likely I'd ever try it again to be honest. Like when the knock sensor dies. Or water feed pipe seals go. Or fuel lines leak.

• Thanks 1

cool & stink but yeah the 'curse' of the TT : awesome car : suck to work on