Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

turbo build from non turbo block

Hey team, new here. this is probably the stupidest basic question this year
I have a couple questions about builds.(have cammed my v8 and brought a  turbo kit for it, so the wife wants power from her wrx)

But instead of working on her current wof reg 01 wrx,  i thought id just forge a new motor for her.(so she can continue to drive till new motor done)

my friend has a well kept spare non turbo motor.im not sure what year. probably 01.

can i slap a turbo sump and turbo heads on it, with turbo parts and be sweet?
can i oversize the non turbo block and forge it with your normal $3500 cp spool forged ej20 kit?

i work in a engineering shop that can bore it out mill machine ect.

Does the versions of engines matter? meaning can i slap v3 heads on a v7 block vice versa. sti heads on non sti block ect ect.?

where only looking for 350-400hp max.

sorry for the lack of knowledge on rexes.  basically want to know if a turbo sump, heads and forge kit is sufficient, or do i need to start with turbo block ect. aswell as someone here probably has a GO-TO combo for doing exactly this build haha

Edited by lorisk

• Admin

The block won’t be quite as strong from the get go as it’ll be open deck design but half the turbo ones out there are like that too. The block itself is simple but for heads you’d want to stay with the same ones to keep sensor stuff compatible without a heap more work on wiring. 
400hp is probably pushing it a bit for reliability of an open deck block if it’ll be driven hard. Unless you’re getting the non turbo one free it’s possibly still worth trying to get hold of a blown 207 to build up

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

The block won’t be quite as strong from the get go as it’ll be open deck design but half the turbo ones out there are like that too. The block itself is simple but for heads you’d want to stay with the same ones to keep sensor stuff compatible without a heap more work on wiring. 
400hp is probably pushing it a bit for reliability of an open deck block if it’ll be driven hard. Unless you’re getting the non turbo one free it’s possibly still worth trying to get hold of a blown 207 to build up

cheers, the block is free.
can the block be closed if need be? wont be driven hard.400 is a maximum output also.

when you say(stay with the same ones) do you mean v7 ones that match her current loom in the current car?
another friend has v3 sti heads and v7 wrx heads. both of those heads will fit this non turbo block?

but the v7 heads will fit all the plugs currently in car?

• Admin
35 minutes ago, lorisk said:

cheers, the block is free.
can the block be closed if need be? wont be driven hard.400 is a maximum output also.

when you say(stay with the same ones) do you mean v7 ones that match her current loom in the current car?
another friend has v3 sti heads and v7 wrx heads. both of those heads will fit this non turbo block?

but the v7 heads will fit all the plugs currently in car?

Can’t remember when the changeover was to phase 2 stuff but v3 may not match manifold bolt spacing too. 
But yea stay with the v7 ones if possible. You won’t need anything too fancy at that power level unless you want to put a link in and go v7 sti heads with intake avcs. 

• General Member

Hardest Part : not sure if you've considered it, will be getting it road legal aye?

It'll need a Cert which may include Brakes, driveshaft loops and even a Gearbox to handle it?

eg the main reason most will say sell it & buy a Turbo Car

sorry to be the "fun police here"

• Like 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Joker said:

Hardest Part : not sure if you've considered it, will be getting it road legal aye?

It'll need a Cert which may include Brakes, driveshaft loops and even a Gearbox to handle it?

eg the main reason most will say sell it & buy a Turbo Car

sorry to be the "fun police here"

The body is already an 01 WRX so should be adequate for cert purposes other than hoops probably 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

But yea stay with the v7 ones if possible. You won’t need anything too fancy at that power level unless you want to put a link in and go v7 sti heads with intake avcs. 

legend bro thank you for the info., i can get my hands on some v7 wrx non sti heads. and a sump. 
so basically i can just forge that non turbo block and go for gold?
 will be sure to upload the build progress after i finish getting 700hp from my car

Edited by lorisk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You won’t need anything too fancy at that power level unless you want to put a link in and go v7 sti heads with intake avcs. 

will i not need a link-ecu after the build?,
can i throw it on the dyno with the 01 v7 ecu it has? stock v7 wrx heads?
i mean i was planning on getting a link, but not if i dont have to lol.
i didnt have to for my car i was lucky to save that money. be winning if its the case here also lol

Edited by lorisk

• General Member

The body is already an 01 WRX so should be adequate for cert purposes other than hoops probably 

Non Turbo WRX year was 2001 

though, yes appears I confused myself : carry on :P have fun!

• Admin
33 minutes ago, lorisk said:

will i not need a link-ecu after the build?,
can i throw it on the dyno with the 01 v7 ecu it has? stock v7 wrx heads?
i mean i was planning on getting a link, but not if i dont have to lol.
i didnt have to for my car i was lucky to save that money. be winning if its the case here also lol

pretty sure that age is fully tunable as it is but isn’t in the same league as tuning with a link, especially if you get a big intake and want to go speed density

2 minutes ago, Joker said:

Non Turbo WRX year was 2001 

though, yes appears I confused myself : carry on :P have fun!

yea there were a few badged like that but not the norm atleast

5 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

pretty sure that age is fully tunable as it is but isn’t in the same league as tuning with a link, especially if you get a big intake and want to go speed density

Oh that's real good to know. Definitely not chasing big power..just reliable tuff and perky so she's happy. And didn't want to spend ejgodz type money🤣

So essentially what I want to do is strip the

Free Ej204 block

(machined and forge it)

Slap her heads sump and manifolds on.

Swap it all over and tune it.

Then close deck and forge her original matching numbers motor and put avcs heads and nice cams in.

So glad the bro told me to Google club sub🤣 I'd be googling for ages otherwise..thank you mam

• Like 1