Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tiptronic Gear Indicator Not Displaying?

Silver Surfer

Hi guys,

Man, I'm on a roll lol. 3rd and last topic. For now. ;D I've had my car one day now and when I've gone to engage tiptronic by pushing it over to the +/- it fails to engage on the screen where it shows the gear, ie: [2]. It has worked, 2 out of the, 5? times I've done it. I'm not sure if I actually shift while engaged in tiptronic if it shifts even without the read out not working, didn't even think to try it until now. My brother in laws car does the same thing. Sometimes the display works, sometimes it doesn't. Both cars are silver lol. My black one never used to do that - ever. Just trying to iron out the small bugs so any input is appreciated. Nothing came up in searches but I will try another search now.........

Thanks,

Carl

Not displaying the tiptronic gears: [1]-[2]-[3]-[4] all the time ::)

gt5.jpg

need to know if you can shift in trip mode without display befor i can even Begin to answer this, but I have an idea because mine did it once, (sold the car straight after) lol, I don’t hang onto my cars long

Just went out for a blat and in true Murphy's Law, it worked each and every time lol. I tried it everywhere back and fourth from auto to sport-shift and every time I did it, it worked correctly. I must have done it 20 times over the space of 10 minutes. When I was doing it, I wad thinking, it maybe a faulty signal? I have no idea how the set up works but I wonder if there is some kind of pulse pickup/sender in the shifter set up that when you move the shifter it sends the signal, maybe that is faulty or a little touchy. Any ideas?

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi
 Silver Surfer said:

Just went out for a blat and in true Murphy's Law, it worked each and every time lol.

this is also true when taking cars to mechanics.. so frustrating..

LMAO oh that’s so sucks, well need to know as I said but seem its working sound like same as mine.

mine had what I can only describe as is a magnet things stuff thing in the shift assembly was not where it was supposed to be put it back and sweet,

was a while ago and I don’t have that car anymore which is a shame coz I could of pulled it all apart a taken some photos, your best bet, if your keen is disassemble the shift assembly and see if anything is out of the ordinary,

that’s all I did coz I wouldn’t have a clue how it works , well I do but I couldn’t explain it in a way where either of us would understand

Yup, sounds fine to me, I'm OK within doing any other than the hardcore internal engine work (+ body and paint). Everything else is fair game and I'll have a go. That is what I was thinking, it can't be the cluster (IMO) so has to be the engagement "signal"? if it keeps doing it I will pull the shifter assembly apart and investigate. If I get stuck I'll post in this thread and let you guys know.

Thanks for the input and advice. :)

Silver Surfer said:

Yup, sounds fine to me, I'm OK within doing any other than the hardcore internal engine work (+ body and paint). Everything else is fair game and I'll have a go. That is what I was thinking, it can't be the cluster (IMO) so has to be the engagement "signal"? if it keeps doing it I will pull the shifter assembly apart and investigate. If I get stuck I'll post in this thread and let you guys know.

Thanks for the input and advice. :)

yup keep us posted

Yeah id say check the cluster to make sure there's power to the display,

My display also likes to have issues sometimes.

It stopped going once but that turned out to be a fuse in the engine bay.

Mine likes to say that its in 4th when in 2nd and sometimes in 3rd it says [ - ]

In 1st while stopped it normally says it's in drive haha.

Still changes gear when I tell it to, But from what I've heard it needs a new sensor but its by the down pipe of one of the turbos according to a transmission servicing place.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Still not working, in fact I think it's worse. Mind you, I've only had the car since Saturday so perhaps I haven't had enough time driving it to discover these issues. Now when driving and it does display (which is rare), it jumps from 2nd to 4th quickly sometimes every so often and then displays that [-] sign at various times as well. I just go by feel/rpm to know what gear I'm in but still, what a PITA!! I pulled the cover and shifting housing off to have a look, tried to drive it like that and still not working. It all appears to hit the magnet things when you shift up or down and looks pretty standard, then again, I'm no Subaru pro. Can you guys spot anything out of the ordinary?

Thanks,

Carl

TiptronicFault1.jpg

TiptronicFault2.jpg

TiptronicFault3.jpg

TiptronicFault4.jpg

TiptronicFault5.jpg

TiptronicFault6.jpg

TiptronicFault7.jpg

the_return_of_the_jedi said:

time for a manual conversion ;)

LMAO! Nope. Good fun but this is my cruisy surf "hack". Long drives with cold feet or pies in the hand = perfect in this wagon. Tiptronic is good when it works, just a PITA as I know it's not right, livable but ghey. Anyone know what the problem could be? Surely others have had it? In the 4 GTBs we've had between my brother and law and me, 2 of them have done this.

does it change ok when just using D?

Yup, when I chuck it in drive [D] and anywhere along the actual cable shifted gears (PRND321) it shifts and moves in the speedometer display area. Only when I shove it over to tiptronic and the electronical wire shifts does it start to play up. Flashes from the gear I'm in, to [D], then sometimes to [-] then most times nothing at all LOL. Be good to get it sorted so then I can fix my bro in laws car too. :)

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

hmmm been thrashin the tiptronic? maybe flickin gears too fast at all?

not pointing the finger just eliminating causes.

also has anyone spilt anything down there like coke or coffee etc?

hmmm been thrashin the tiptronic? maybe flickin gears too fast at all?

not pointing the finger just eliminating causes.

also has anyone spilt anything down there like coke or coffee etc?

All good brother, I welcome the different ideas and opinions, I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. :D;) No drink spills I can see (See photos). Everything looks to be in the correct order for the age (110,000km). I hope it's not in the cluster because that will be beyond what I feel safe doing (electrics = arrgh) lol. Someone mentioned fuse? Didn't know the gear or shifter area would have one.

There doesn't seem to be much in there but two micro-switches. If it changes the gears then the switches will be alright and the problem will be in either the tcu or the dash I'd guess(educated guess).

I'll have a look and see if I can find anything on them.

I presume there is a diagnostic mode, to get trouble codes... aybody tried finding that?

EDIT 1

Hmm, looks like it's a OBDII scan to find those codes probably. Most generic software based scanners only do fairly basic emmission codes and a few simple trans/body codes if you are lucky. Might have to be a subaru scan if you really want to know for sure.

I did notice though that there is a documented problem with certain late model dashes, they start out with intermittent display failures which get worse. Could be what your trouble is.

EDIT 2

You definately have to plug it into a ssm scan tool to get the trouble codes. If the sport light hasn't been flashing though it is almost certin to be a dash display fault, not a TCU or body control unit fault.

Thanks log1call for the in depth answer and help, much appreciated.

Where are most guys in Hutt Valley taking their Subarus too? Wish there was a plug and play style self-diagnostics with these cars, unless I just haven't heard of them. No joining wires etc, just something you plug into your dash and it tells you whats up, simple eh lol.

Guest boostcut

there is a self diagnostic plug and play. its the intelligent scanner or whatever subaru/most good garages have, and you too can have one from about 10k to $30,000