Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Stereo fuse keeps blowing!

Hi. I have recently pulled engine and replaced blown headgaskets, put engine back in and everything fine. Electric windows and interior lights and stereo wouldn't work so replaced fuses. Windows and lights all working fine. Stereo not working and just keeps blowing the fuse!!! (Fuse 17) Vehicle is a 1997 Subaru Legacy GTB with factory stereo. HELP!!! Damn frustrating!! Thanks

Oh also just occurred to me that I had to also replace the ignition barrel???

Hey savanna12a, it sounds like you have a short somewhere on that circuit. Usually this is either a loose wire or a bare piece of wire that is making contact with the chassis and thus earth whcih will short the circuit and blow the fuse. You probably caused this during the engine work. The window/lock circuit must has settled back into a space where it makes no contact with anything. the Stereo circuit however is still loose or exposed somewhere and this is most probably your problem.

I woudl be checking any wiring you may have disturbed/worked on and as boostin mentioned anything else on the same circuit which may have been disturbed.

As a last resort and at your own risk you can always try increasing the fuse by 5 watts will still blow in a serous short and the fuse in the back of most stereos will take care of any other medium shorts.

Cheers for info dumbskate :)

I'm a bit confused as in the fusebox the fuse that keeps blowing is labelled as radio only?? Unless i'm missing something here?? Anyone able to advise what other circuits run off from that fuse? other than what has been mentioned already. Will check round engine bay though and see if I can find the issue. Thanks for the all the help so far :)

That should narrow down the search. It may just be for the stereo. So in that case I woudl be checking all wiring at the rear of the stereo for a possible loose wise.

I had this problem with a old stereo that was a real hassle to remove so I just increased the fuse by 5 watts (or is it amps?) and never had an issue again.

Haha already tried putting in a 20 fuse and blew as soon as I turned key to "ACC" position :P Will check for shorts tonight hopefully. Cheers

Checked as many wires as possible and can't find any obvious shorts. One thing I did notice is that when you press the cd eject button it makes a noise like its trying to eject the cd. Other than that no further progress???

Is the fuse the right size?

Are all your grounds grounded to a decent earthing point?

Id run the multi meter over and check everything.

Also depends where the power has been taken from it maybe drawing too much if hooked up to something other than the factory stereo loom.

Normally pretty simple fixes you just have to be methodical.

Thanks Swindog :)

Yep using a 15amp fuse which is the recomended fuse. Put fuse in and as soon as I turn the key to "Acc" it blows each and every time.

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for the stereo? Also are there any other earth points for the stereo other than one at the headdeck?

The stereo is the factory stereo and has not been altered in any way. Was working fine before engine work done.

Thanks for all the help so far!

If everythings right then the wiring is hooked back up weird or its earthing out on something.

Thats the only other cause with stereos. I would take the unit out and trace the wiring taking care to check no bare wire anywhere.

I have had probs with the wiring in mine that idid myself. I couldnt get the wires in the factory door gland and they ended up cutting the outer casing on the stero wire very very slightly. This caused the stereo to make a buzz sound and show failure on the screen. Took me weeks to figure it out and it all came down to a very tiny split in the wire that was touching the a pillar support.

copy paste from modifiedlife

1997 Subaru Legacy Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Green

Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Blue/Yellow

Car Radio Ground Wire: Black

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Red

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: N/A

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A

Front Speakers Size: N/A

Front Speakers Location: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Red

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Black

Rear Speakers Size: N/A

Rear Speakers Location: N/A

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/White

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Red

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Blue

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Black

Thanks WiLd02StI. Unfortunately i'm not even able to have the option to turn the stereo on or off because as soon as I turn the key to "ACC" the fuse blows. Cheers

Thinking the same thing boostin,

pull it out and make sure you label everything you disconnect, you should be able to have a good look around after that, put a fuse in see what happens and let us know if it blows,

if it happens that it does not, try putting the system back in doing the normal insulating of wires and what not, then have another go, I got the feeling your unit is caput though

I pulled the factory stereo out tonight and un-plugged the plug from rear of stereo unit. Put a 15amp fuse into fuse box and turned key to "ACC" fuse did not blow! Does that mean that the stereo is broken??