Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

vf22 swapping bits and pieces

ive just purchased a vf22 turbo...i know its quite laggy ...wanting to know is there another exhaust housing or compressor wheel so it keeps its power and flow but spools up a lot quicker. Also can they be modified anyway etc hybrid or something of the sort?....as this is going onto a 1.3 litre starlet...any information would be much appreciated...im not to clued up on ihi turbos but the mechanic suggested to go with this one as its the biggest in the vf series...cheers.... ryan

hey mate a vf22 ex housing seems a little big for a 1.3 starlet dont you think? unless its got aftmrkt cams etc and u plan to run alot of boost,you wanna hit boost before redline.why dont u do a td04 hybrid with a td05 compressor side.alot less lag and it should reach the 160kw mark.whats been done the engine?

4ORGD said:

hey mate a vf22 ex housing seems a little big for a 1.3 starlet dont you think? unless its got aftmrkt cams etc and u plan to run alot of boost,you wanna hit boost before redline.why dont u do a td04 hybrid with a td05 compressor side.alot less lag and it should reach the 160kw mark.whats been done the engine?

Thats what i thought...but im running a vf28 at the moment and its bring on boost fine...made 240 kw on 25 psi...it has aftermarket 272 cams,forged internals,link g4,550cc injectors ,walbro fuel pump....i had a td04 a few years ago but now im chasing more power...hoping the vf22 will get me to 300kw....

if you put a smaller P18(off a vf28) exhaust housing on it will spool up faster BUT, then its pretty much the same as a VF28 anyway!!!

If you've still got the 28, try swapping the housings over and see what you think, they're a direct swap but I doubt you'll notice a difference.

P.S VF22 aren't THAT laggy, well on a 2.0 anyway

oh i wasnt expecting that.i thought you had a stock starlet and you were puting a vf22 on it.with cams and all that boost a vf22 wouldnt be that laggy.you should try shortening your i/c pipes and flip your i/c.there are alot of little tricks to help you out with lag like instead of having your boost hose come of the compressor cover have it come off the intercooler pipe closest to the throttle body steve murch gave me that tip.better boost control and response.also things like having having a smaller i/c alot of ppl have intercoolers that are far to big for there car but they dont know that i use to be a victim with my 600x300,use smaller piping and make sure your piping has a nice flow.mine is 2 1/4 of the turbo into 2 1/2.you probly have all this done.imo i rekon a manual boost control brings boost on better than electronic but cant hold it near as good.you could use your p18 housing with the vf22 compressor cover/wheel.would probly flow a little more than the vf28 just cause the vf22 compressor and cover is slightly bigger

4ORGD said:

oh i wasnt expecting that.i thought you had a stock starlet and you were puting a vf22 on it.with cams and all that boost a vf22 wouldnt be that laggy.you should try shortening your i/c pipes and flip your i/c.there are alot of little tricks to help you out with lag like instead of having your boost hose come of the compressor cover have it come off the intercooler pipe closest to the throttle body steve murch gave me that tip.better boost control and response.also things like having having a smaller i/c alot of ppl have intercoolers that are far to big for there car but they dont know that i use to be a victim with my 600x300,use smaller piping and make sure your piping has a nice flow.mine is 2 1/4 of the turbo into 2 1/2.you probly have all this done.imo i rekon a manual boost control brings boost on better than electronic but cant hold it near as good.you could use your p18 housing with the vf22 compressor cover/wheel.would probly flow a little more than the vf28 just cause the vf22 compressor and cover is slightly bigger

ill give that a try and tell you how it goes...i/c piping is fairly small and short...i/c itself is pretty ...ill look into different set ups....have the greddy profec b spec 2...the p18 housing is out of the vf28...i was just offered a vf24 one...to swap into the vf22 would this be a lot better for spool time...

cheers ryan

Stoffa said:

if you put a smaller P18(off a vf28) exhaust housing on it will spool up faster BUT, then its pretty much the same as a VF28 anyway!!!

If you've still got the 28, try swapping the housings over and see what you think, they're a direct swap but I doubt you'll notice a difference.

P.S VF22 aren't THAT laggy, well on a 2.0 anyway

can i just swap them over without tuning the car again

ive done a vf22 on the P18 before awhile back ago.

didnt make much different.

i hear people talking about lags with the VF22... what are u running on? like a EJ15? i been ussing vf22 for over 5 years now and i dont see any different or much of it compare to a vf24. get my vf22 on full spools at around 3500rpm on the dyno. what are you looking for? if u dont like LAG then get a bloody honda civic. lag is part of having turbo, get over it. on the track and at the lights you be reving way over 4000rpm, i know i launch at 7000rpm at the drags, turbo kicked in before i know it

i didnt know that vf28 can boost more then 20psi? i though it max out at that? its something you learn everyday.

ryanjfo']

[quote name='4ORGD said:

/quote]

Thats what i thought...but im running a vf28 at the moment and its bring on boost fine...made 240 kw on 25 psi...it has aftermarket 272 cams,forged internals,link g4,550cc injectors ,walbro fuel pump....i had a td04 a few years ago but now im chasing more power...hoping the vf22 will get me to 300kw....

i havent seen any single vf22 on a 2.0 make 300kw yet. this i like to see

SPANKU said:

ive done a vf22 on the P18 before awhile back ago.

didnt make much different.

i hear people talking about lags with the VF22... what are u running on? like a EJ15? i been ussing vf22 for over 5 years now and i dont see any different or much of it compare to a vf24. get my vf22 on full spools at around 3500rpm on the dyno. what are you looking for? if u dont like LAG then get a bloody honda civic. lag is part of having turbo, get over it. on the track and at the lights you be reving way over 4000rpm, i know i launch at 7000rpm at the drags, turbo kicked in before i know it

i didnt know that vf28 can boost more then 20psi? i though it max out at that? its something you learn everyday.

it will be running on a 1.3 litre starlet...that is currently running the vf28...its not the lag im worried about..thats no problem...but hitting the power goal is what im after.......

Swindog said:

Noway youll make 3hundy on a vf22. They are ok turbos but not near good or big enoug for 3hundy.

YOu have to step outside the box for that figure my man.

yeh thats waht i thought...maybe a little nos spray will get me there...i dont wana change turbo set ups becuase itll all have to be re modified again downpipe,exhasut manifold.etc.etc

Have you considered a TD05-20g turbo? That'll be able to flow much more air than the Vf22 ever will. Not sure if it will get you to 300kw on your engine though as it all comes back to what region in the compressor flow map you will be operating in and whether or not the turbo can flow enough air in the first place.

Koom said:

Have you considered a TD05-20g turbo? That'll be able to flow much more air than the Vf22 ever will. Not sure if it will get you to 300kw on your engine though as it all comes back to what region in the compressor flow map you will be operating in and whether or not the turbo can flow enough air in the first place.

ive been lookng into that turbo ...but just talking to everyone i can on their view points...since their isnt a huge difference between the vf22 and tdo5-20g turbos.....whats your experiences with them

Only used the factory TD05-16g myself. Was a really good turbo for making around 200kw. Had full boost by 3500rpm and it seemed to last forever. Never had any issues with it.

The 20g will flow alot more air than the vf22 but will quite likely need a bigger turbine housing to do it i.e. 8cm sq or TD06. The VF22 only makes about the same as a 16g. But thats on a 2.0L so your engine will operate them in a completely different region of the compressor flow maps.