Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

B4 Trans has lost its drive

Hailz

So my mates BH Legacy GTB lost its drive gear just yesterday, aparantly it just sits there and slips and goes no where, but the crazy thing is if you flick it over to tiptronic it shifts perfectly just like the day it was made and it still has reverse gear too, I've heard this kind of thing before and turned out to be a couple of sensors somewhere, I'm going out to his place this arvo to check for codes ect, but if I find nothing has anyone got a clue as to what it might be?

log1call said:

Tcu or dash playing up?

Plug undone somewhere since there are no gears at all, maybe the main plug going to the trans. That can cause it on the regular trannies.

No nothing playing up at in regards to the dash and couldnt find any plugs off - but didnt look overly hard, have done ecu check and came up with nothing at all

You know where the big connector is on top of the tranny right? That's the one I was meaning.

There is also a trans computer. You need to check that one for trouble codes. The way to do it is written around here somewhere I'm sure. It's a procedure with the gear lever and the ignition switch probably

Just thinking out loud here, dose the trip tonic system use solenoids and electronic actuators to shift gear rather than fluid pressure? If so then there could be a problem in the automatic transmission in regards to an internal leak not allowing proper operating pressure to shift into gear? Purely speculating here!!

WiLd02StI said:

Just thinking out loud here, dose the trip tonic system use solenoids and electronic actuators to shift gear rather than fluid pressure? If so then there could be a problem in the automatic transmission in regards to an internal leak not allowing proper operating pressure to shift into gear? Purely speculating here!!

I have a feeling it uses solenoids and electronic actuators to do the shifting but cant be too sure, its a bit of a tricky one realy, the car lives about an hour and 45 min drive away from the Subby workshop in Chch and it's got to be trailored aparantly so it might be a while before anything gets done about it me thinks (bloody dairy farmers lol) - poor Subby they always look so sad sitting in the garage :(

The clutches are all put on by hydraulic pressure but it's electronics that tell the solenoid valves to apply that pressure.

There is a computer that tells the solenoids to go on or off. In the auto mode it decides when to change gears and then sends the command, or, in manual it sends the command when you use the stick.

Since it's working in manual the hydraulics and the solenoids are working.

It is something wrong with the electronic control in your case.

There will be a way to get trouble codes out of the computer. Google it up and get the codes.

(Edit), just occured to me that that will be OBD2 in which case you will have to get someone to read the codes with a scanner.

log1call said:

The clutches are all put on by hydraulic pressure but it's electronics that tell the solenoid valves to apply that pressure.

As I suspected they would, didn’t have the confidence in saying so because I didn’t know how trip tronic system works, as I have a very good understanding on how an automatic transmission works

I assumed they found an alternative way to move the band activation pistons and so on and so on and so on , but now I say it out loud I sound like an impromptu dumbass