Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Registration increase

so who was watching three news....

possible incress to registration to just under the $400 mark!

unbeleavible, due to them incressing the acc levie again from $164ish to $311ish

carnt remember the exact figures

this was the last incress in december 2007,

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10483457

-smurff

*ninja edit on your spelling in the title. Swindog:)

smurff said:

so who was watching three news....

possible incress to registration to just under the $400 mark!

unbeleavible, due to them incressing the acc levie again from $164ish to $311ish

carnt remember the exact figures

this was the last incress in december 2007,

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10483457

-smurff

Uhrm yea

the article said they may have to increase the levy by 129% (thats percent not dollars)

129 percent for motor vehicle owners
NOT WE ARE GOING TO....

From this article:

Big changes needed at ACC, minister says

Last updated 13:40 04/03/2009

Significant changes are needed to ACC because of huge increases in liabilities, the Government says.

The latest valuation of ACC showed liability increases of $2.581 billion in the last six months, to $21.875 billion, ACC Minister Nick Smith said.

"Deteriorating economic conditions have brought into harsh focus significant cost increases that have occurred over the past decade," Dr Smith said.

Latest reports would translate into ACC levy increases of 185 percent for employees; 71 percent for employers; 129 percent for motor vehicle owners and increases to Government inputs for non wage earners.

"This scale of cost increases is not acceptable. Changes will need to be made in the governance of ACC, legislation, administration of the scheme to prevent these soaring costs."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/1997590/Big-changes-needed-at-ACC-minister-says

smurff said:

i blame the National supporters, they brought this on us, they shud pay it :P :P :P (Go Labour) hehehehe

-smurff

Actually it was Michael Cullen that needs to be blamed since he HID the info about the blowout for months,

Ps he is the labour leader now, so...

Guest sleeperfoz

3 news just said that the rego would go up to $386

the acc levy is going from $1 in every hundred to 4 in every hundred :'(

Old Skool Subbie said:

That just so bloody suxs :o if they do that it will mean alot less cars on the road.... then it could mean in long run alot less acc tax being earned. Then they have to get it from some where else???

or else there will be the same number of cars just without registration which means people will void their insurance and in the end insurance companys will win because they will not have to pay out in the event of an accident

sleeperfoz']

3 news just said that the rego would go up to $386

the acc levy is going from $1 in every hundred to 4 in every hundred :'(

OK Did the reporter say May have or will, Did ACC Minister Nick Smith say May have or will???

I just read every single article about ACC available and there is nothing that says it will happen, only similar articles to what I had posted earlier as per below... that it may happen pending being introduced to parliament after a pending decision on motor vehicle levies...

[quote name='subieboy said:

i]may have to increase the levy by 129%[/i] (thats percent not dollars)

129 percent for motor vehicle owners
NOT WE ARE GOING TO....

From this article:

Big changes needed at ACC, minister says

Last updated 13:40 04/03/2009

Significant changes are needed to ACC because of huge increases in liabilities, the Government says.

The latest valuation of ACC showed liability increases of $2.581 billion in the last six months, to $21.875 billion, ACC Minister Nick Smith said.

"Deteriorating economic conditions have brought into harsh focus significant cost increases that have occurred over the past decade," Dr Smith said.

Latest reports would translate into ACC levy increases of 185 percent for employees; 71 percent for employers; 129 percent for motor vehicle owners and increases to Government inputs for non wage earners.

"This scale of cost increases is not acceptable. Changes will need to be made in the governance of ACC, legislation, administration of the scheme to prevent these soaring costs."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/1997590/Big-changes-needed-at-ACC-minister-says

Here is a link to what tv3 said:

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/Smith-We-need-to-get-ACC-costs-under-control/tabid/209/articleID/94024/cat/87/Default.aspx

The Government is poised to make big changes to ACC.

The shake-up comes as a report revealed more than $20 billion in liabilities and warned of ballooning costs.

ACC Minister Nick Smith yesterday said some entitlements would be cut in response to a blow out in treatment costs and swelling liabilities, with free physiotherapy care one area he pointed to.

Along with services, Smith told Sunrise this morning that top level changes at ACC are also on the cards.

“We need to get costs back under control,” he said.

“I'm going to introduce an amendment bill into Parliament this year to bring the changes through. What I do want is some changes in the board.”

Perhaps the most controversial of the changes is raising the ACC portion of car registration from $136 to $311.

National says the costs of the ACC scheme have doubled over the last nine years because the Labour Government extended the scheme by providing services like free physiotherapy.

But yesterday Phil Goff said the planned changes reek of privatisation.

“Privatisation will help the big Australian insurance companies in the profitable areas. It will do nothing for the quality of the service and the certainty of the service in NZ.”

Privatisation or not, amendments to the scheme will be made, with Smith indicating a decision on motor vehicle levies will be out as early as next month.

Now the above means it MAY increase if or when he introduces it to parliament and then gets, to go to select committee, i.e. follow the process of parliament, and then maybe it gets read into law (if at all)...

So in other words, Maybe not will, maybe. Read the last sentence of the article if you are confused at all...

Here is another story to it as well:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/1998896/Compo-payouts-to-be-cut

Compo payouts to be cut

By TRACY WATKINS - The Dominion Post

Last updated 22:56 04/03/2009

CHANGES A-FOOT: The Government is poised to cut some ACC entitlements and may bring back part-charges for others.

Relevant offers

The Government is poised to cut some ACC entitlements and may bring back part-charges for others as costs soar.

Accident Compensation Minister Nick Smith signalled yesterday that heads would roll at the ACC board and warned that the universal no-fault accident compensation scheme was unaffordable without big rises in motor vehicle registration costs and the premiums paid by workers.

That was unacceptable to the Government.

Unless costs were cut, the cost to register a vehicle would more than double from $255 to $585 within five years, while workers would be forced to pay an extra $27 a week on average in ACC levies.

"If [those] increases come to pass, it's kiss goodbye to any sort of tax cut," Dr Smith said.

He blamed the blowout on a raft of extra ACC entitlements introduced under Labour between 2001 and last year. All were now under review.

"We need to have an open debate about the balance between how far ACC goes and the cost to households and businesses."

In the meantime, the Government would soften the blow with legislation pushing out the date at which ACC is fully funded.

But a change in "culture" was also to blame. The cost of claims had risen from $1.4 billion in 2000 to $3.2 billion."I think there is an underlying culture within ACC in that it has shifted from being an insurance operator to being more of a welfare department."

The previous government extended ACC to cover a raft of new claims, including mental injury from workplace trauma, widened the grounds for medical misadventure, and restored lump-sum payouts. In 2004, physiotherapy was made free for accident victims.

But the costs have soared beyond initial estimates by officials.

Dr Smith signalled a shakeup of the board, to bring in more "financial expertise" and refused to express confidence in chairman Ross Wilson. `My view is the board requires a fresh start."

Mr Wilson, a former union leader, confirmed yesterday that he had met Dr Smith but said he had agreed not to talk publicly.

A report by PricewaterhouseCoopers revealed that ACC's liabilities have jumped to $21 billion, a rise of $2.5billion in six months. Most of the rise is because its investment returns have taken a beating lately.

But costs have also risen by $461m and Dr Smith said good returns in previous years had masked earlier cost blowouts.

The steep rise in physiotherapy costs puts it first in line for a shakeup but Dr Smith signalled there would be others.

Asked if it would mean ACC being less generous, he said: "I think that's inevitable. If it was an insurance company, it would have long ago been broke. I wish this to be a public insurance scheme and it has moved away from that core [purpose]."

But Labour ACC spokesman David Parker warned that workers would end up paying more through user charges and being forced to get private accident insurance. "The cost doesn't go away; it just means that, if ACC doesn't cover you, you've got to pay for it yourself."