Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bleeding Power Steering

Guest DVNT

Ichi Ban said:

Fill resivoir, and vac bleed system if you have vac bleeder

Other wise - fill resivoir, let stand for 10min, undo pressure outlet port fitting until fluid flows out and retighten

start engine and IDLE

Top up resivoir again (pump will prob be very noisey but this is OK

After 10 min turn from lock to lock and top up fluid if req'd

Turn engine off and wait 30min (this will release air held in the fluid)

Then finally recheck fluid

Job done

is the above applicable for a V4 sti?

if so where would the pressure outlet port fitting be??

i ran the pump abit low and have sucked in some air me thinks as power steering comes and goes.

Thanks

P.s dont fucking flame me just tech info would be appreciated.

This is not a flame

How did u run it a bit low of fluid did it have a leak ? I am trying to figure out if u have a bigger issue than air in the fluid :)

Also just running the power steering at idle while turning wheels from left to right seems to work for me :)

DRFVDR said:

This is not a flame

How did u run it a bit low of fluid did it have a leak ? I am trying to figure out if u have a bigger issue than air in the fluid :)

Also just running the power steering at idle while turning wheels from left to right seems to work for me :)

could be a bigger issue but air in system is a nice easy fix usually, no sign of leaks just noticed it was real noisy especially when turning the wheel from lock to lock then one day lost the power steer altogether so checked the fluid level and was right on the bottom of the stick.

Filled it up and it come right but seems to be loosing power steering everynow and then.

DVNT']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

Fill resivoir, and vac bleed system if you have vac bleeder

Other wise - fill resivoir, let stand for 10min, undo pressure outlet port fitting until fluid flows out and retighten

start engine and IDLE

Top up resivoir again (pump will prob be very noisey but this is OK

After 10 min turn from lock to lock and top up fluid if req'd

Turn engine off and wait 30min (this will release air held in the fluid)

Then finally recheck fluid

Job done

/quote]

is the above applicable for a V4 sti?

if so where would the pressure outlet port fitting be??

i ran the pump abit low and have sucked in some air me thinks as power steering comes and goes.

Thanks

P.s dont ****ing flame me just tech info would be appreciated.

Depending how low you ran it, the pump wheel may have failed, resulting in dodgy power steering. to bleed power steering, hold 2000rpm, with the cap on, and rotate lock to lock, holding at each extremity for 2 sec.

Guest boostin

Thats a good way to stuff your PS pump Wiretap.

Do it the way IchiBan says. The pressure outlet port is the 17mm nut around the lower of the 2 pipes to the PS pump. You may need to hold the larger hex next to it when you undo the 17mm. The larger one is 19mm from memory.

I just slammed new fluid in mine and idled it for a few mins. Then once all of the air bubbles in the fluid had settled i turned it lock to lock about 5 times slowly at idle. Then went for a drive and all was well. I know they dont like being held at full lock so try not to

Guest boostcut
 boostin said:

Thats a good way to stuff your PS pump Wiretap.

Do it the way IchiBan says. The pressure outlet port is the 17mm nut around the lower of the 2 pipes to the PS pump. You may need to hold the larger hex next to it when you undo the 17mm. The larger one is 19mm from memory.

this is BS. i have never ever seen a saginaw type vane pump damaged from low oil. they will how ever be damaged from contaminants in the oil, as when the oil is low it creates no pressure and thefore no load on the pump. also just fill the reservoir and turn steering from lock to lock. no need to loosen fittings, they self bleed as the reservoir is the highest point.

Guest boostcut

theyre the same pump as a 93 wrx with an external reservoir!, i can bet a years salary that it had a fault with the pump or shit went thru it., i rebuild pumps/motors/valve banks/rams/relief valves/flow control valves every day and a vane pump is never damaged by incorrect bleeding, they make vacuum instantly and i did a test at work and had a commodore p/s pump suck from a 20l drum outside the door to the laithe in our machine shop which would be 15m at least, no cavitation what so ever.

ok guys no need to flop it out you both have big penis's ok

Swindog= check tension and is all good

will try the other ideas above and let you know the outcome

Thanks to all for your help ;D

Guest boostin
 boostcut said:

theyre the same pump as a 93 wrx with an external reservoir!, i can bet a years salary that it had a fault with the pump or **** went thru it., i rebuild pumps/motors/valve banks/rams/relief valves/flow control valves every day and a vane pump is never damaged by incorrect bleeding, they make vacuum instantly and i did a test at work and had a commodore p/s pump suck from a 20l drum outside the door to the laithe in our machine shop which would be 15m at least, no cavitation what so ever.

Sweet as, whatever dude.

WITH CAR OFF

-Fill power steering till its at the F mark (but not right to the rim of the reservoir)

-turn steering lock to lock slowly

-Top up fluid

-turn steering lock to lock slowly a couple times

-Top up fluid

repeat until it won't take any more fluid.

Its a bit of effort to turn the wheel with the car off, but think of it as free exersize.

THEN you can start the car and top up the power steering fluid if it drops the level any (won't be much)

Then turn lock-to-lock a few times, top up again if need be.

Thats how I did it on my car and no problems. Power steering is more or less self bleeding.