Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

HELP: annoying electrical fault!!

Hey People,

Last night after work I took my car in to town to catch up with friends, and on the way in me and the girlfriend decided it'd be a good idea to get some fast foods. I pulled the car up outside the shop, went in and ordered and then we walked back over the road to the car so we could go and fill it up with gas while we waited, got in the car and turned the key into the "on" position and pushed the number 1 button on my mongoose alarm and the indicator lights flashed on the dash but the rest of the dash lights didn't come up like they usually do. The car was also locking itself every minute or so and the hazards kepts coming on (alarm).

I thought the problem could possibly be my battery being flat so a mate and I attempted to jump start it, but still no lights would come up. We then checked my main fuses under the bonnet to make sure that wasn't the problem but couldn't find anything wrong with them. I then decided it'd be a good idea to push start the car just to see if that would do anything but attempts failed. Then for some reason we decided we'd try to jump start the car again, and for some reason all the dash lights came on and we got the car started, which was really weird to me ???

With the car now running we then drove to Mobil where we parked up at the pump, and I only had the car running for 5 seconds on the spot when the car died on me, and when I went to start it again the same thing happened. We again tried to jump start the car but all attempts failed, so we decided to flag trying to get it going and ended up towing the car to a mates. The interior lights and indicators/hazards worked fine but that's it.

I have no idea at all about electrics. Could someone please help me out? I think it must be my alarm/imobiliser? How do I disconnect my alarm (Mongoose) if so (is that even possible?)?

Thanks,

-Sam

Yeah that idea has gone through our heads, but even with the jumper-pack/jumper leads connected up to another car the dash lights still didn't want to come on, so wouldnt that mean it'd be something else? Whilst driving the car it was also sort of losing power (the motor I mean) for a couple of seconds then recovering again and continuing???

I checked the fuses under the dash and they all looked sweet, and I tried a new battery just for trying's sake. Also I tried a new alarm battery to make sure that the remote was working fine. Where would the alarm fuses be? Wouldn't the car jump start if it was the alternators buggered though? And the cars interior lights and headlights all turn on fine as per usual, just no dash lights when i push the alarm button, only the hazard lights work when you push the button.

The day i brought the Spec c, i was driving it home and the alternator died.

Sounds similar to what you said about the engine losing power...my dash lights came on too, all of the warning ones...new alternator and sweet...

Yeah nah but I have zero dash lights (the warning ones) at all, and my car didnt just randomly die driving down the road like mates cars have done when the alternators shat itself. I had turned my car off, then gone back to it, and it happened. It must be the immobiliser, as it simply won't demobilise. Where the hell are the alarm fuses for a mongoose alarm?? Anyone know what the alarm box would look like?