Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Thinking of going Auto. What is the tiptronic like in the BP Legacy's?

dumbskate

I am looking at buying a new car after the one in my signature was written off (http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,9256.0.html).

The last one was manual and because I don't sit in traffic I really enjoyed driving it, especially on trips to the mountain.

I haven't driven any of the auto/tiptornic models from '99 to 2006 so can anyone fill me in on how well they drive in their "manual" mode? I am not after a race car obviously just the ability to sit in a gear for as long as I want and down shift for added braking around corners from time to time would be ace.

Guest boostin
 dumbskate said:

Right so the 5AT are in some of the BH's and the 4AT is in the rest of them huh?

So unless I come across an amazing deal on a BP that is that what I am looking for right, Any BH Auto with the 5AT?

Nope, 5AT are BP only. BH were all 4AT.

Right leggyfreak threw me off there.

So if my money is keeping me in a BH for a while is there difference besides that some have buttons on the steering wheel and some don't.

Basically anything as far as features i could be looking out for in the 4AT BH world?

I've driven heaps of GT/GTB BP and BL Legacy's... the 5AT is probably one of the better autoboxes i've driven with. They're usually pretty responsive, Some feel quicker to upshift sometimes than you could in a manual (provided you've got healthy fluid, etc)

If you get a 6 cyl with a 5AT make sure you get it booked into a Subaru dealer workshop to get checked if it's had the Sportshift upgrade performed and a fluid check. Sure it might be 'pricey' but with these cars its worth it, because they're more expensive to fix later on if they have problems; and with the advances in the electronics in them, Joe Bloggs Garage is less likely to find the problem as quickly as a Subaru Tech who works on them all the time and knows exactly what they're looking at.

Hopai said:

If you get a 6 cyl with a 5AT make sure you get it booked into a Subaru dealer workshop to get checked if it's had the Sportshift upgrade performed and a fluid check.

Thanks for the advice. So if its just a 4 cyl not such a big concern? was this an issue on the early 6cyl models?

Also whats involved in the sports shift upgrade Hopai?

Guest boostin

For some reason they forgot to make the H6's auto upshift when you hit the rev limiter. The TCU needs a reflash. Usually this is done for free though.

Hailz said:

I'm predominately a manual kinda guy but every tiptronic Subby I've driven makes me think about jumping the gearbox fence and buying an auto, responsive and quick - what more could you want from a tiptronic box!

Yeah I really enjoyed my last BH manual but I have heard a few poeple saying that the TT system in Subarus is better designed for an automatic gear box

GorGasmSpecB said:

Good choice, BL/Ps are nice cars.

Any pointers to a howto for the openecu modding Hopai?

http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/RomRaiderFAQ

Have a read of that first, fills in a few blanks!

Basically: Find someone who will let you download a copy of their ROM of an MT Legacy, Compare the Variables and Differences to your own car; Apply changes as necessary (I don't mind double checking things when you get to this stage), then modify your Map and re-flash to your ECU.

Vola!

If it's any interest to you; I'm looking at building up a repository of ECU ROM's and whatnot, right up to and including brand new cars, (MY11 STi-R, ST-86, etc).

Any other questions; I've done a fair bit of reflashing, flick me a PM and I can send you some of my notes :)

Thanks Hopai! that's all the more reason to get a BP. So from a quick look through the model list it works with all our all our import BP legacy's in '04 but then jumps to '06. It that how it reads to you?

It will be good to know what to avoid when I cone to buying mine as the idea of being able to do my own tune/monitoring is awesome.

Legacy 2.0

04 E2ZD308E (MT/AT)*

Legacy 2.5i

08 E2SB001K (AT)*

Legacy 3.0R

04 D2WD200A (MT)*, D2ZU200A ()*

05 D2WD604A (MT)*

07 D2UK001Q (AT)*

Legacy B4 (DTC DEFS ONLY)

02 A4SH701H (MT/AT), A4SHB00H (MT/AT), A4SHC00G (MT/AT), A4SHC01G (MT/AT)

Legacy BH (DTC DEFS ONLY)

02 4SLEHB00 (MT/AT), A4SH701G (MT/AT), A4SHB00G (MT/AT)

Legacy GT spec.B

07 A2TB100K (MT)*, A2UI000K (MT)*

Legacy GT

04 A2WD000A (AT)*, A2WD001A (AT)*, A2WD001B (MT)*, A2WD010A (AT)*, A2WD010B (MT)*, A2WD012A (AT)*, A2WD012B (MT)*, A2ZJ600B (MT)*, A2ZJ601A (AT)*, A2ZJ800A (AT)*, A2ZJC00B (MT)*, A2ZJD00A (AT)*, A2ZJD00B (MT)*, A2ZJD01A (AT)*, A2ZJD02B (MT)*

06 A2UG000B (MT)*, A2UH000A (AT)*

07 A2PG420A (AT)*, A2TB100B (MT)*, A2TB100Y (AT)*, A2UI000A (AT)*

08 A2SB000A (AT)*, A2TB100A (AT)*

There's bugger all technical differences between MY04 and MY05 - Half of them have the same tune, as long as it's a BP5A/BL5A then it will most likely work.

Other ROM images that aren't on the list will be compatible too, you may just need to do some tweaking as certain settings might be at different memory locations in the FlashROM... that List is just a list of ROM's that other people have downloaded / mapped successfully, not an end all or be all. :)