Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Removing center console/dash trim to get to headunit

chucky.wRx

dashp.jpg

Ok (for me) i thought it was going to be a little easier than i thought, but i was wrong... :-[

Ive searched on CS forums thoroughly... searched the internet etc finding diagrams and

tutorials on how to take a headunit out of a WRX 04+ but for some reason its completely different for mine lol..

So to reason why i start this thread, im looking for help or hints on how to get in behind

the stock headunit to replace with my new Alpine iDA-X305..

Ive tried alot of things but im guessing theres just something im missing, maybe a couple of screws or something

i just cant get that dam dash trim off :( Any help for this noobie is muchly appreciated

I wanted to do exact thing as you, except the previous owner put in a head unit that is wider than the standard size (why would you make such a thing!!) its a piece of ass Chinese tv player, that spells words wrong LOL. absolute trash. anyway, its stopping me pulling out the plastic panel thing coz they cut into the panel.

I removed the hand brake cover, so i could remove the gear stick cover, but i dont know if you actually need to do that, just lets you get under it a bit more. I was pretty aggressive since i have a whole spear stereo/AC dash panel, But it popped out (until my retarded tv restricted it) with a flat head screw driver to me, just try do it gentle and not to pop the whole thing out from one location, else i believe the tabs can be damaged. Once that surrounding cover is out, you should see screws in which you can attack. and all should be well.

Oh also, two screws hiding behind the cup holder just above the AC, again not sure if those are needed in or out, but hey why not haha. And pull the coin tray out, there are screws facing up inside there, i THINK they dont affect it at all. Some pro will fix up my poor attempt at helping haha.

Lift the middle console cover (behind the handbrake), pry off the two plastic covers that hide two philips No.2 screws and remove them, pop the handbrake surround off, pop the gearshift surround off - do not need to remove gearknob just turn it 90degrees out of the way, now the whole trim around A/C controls & stereo come out as a single piece with the ashtray attached

Use a small flat blade to pry behind the cup holder and from the sides/under the ashtray, it maybe tight at first, there are 4 plastic clips in the corner that hold it all in place

Once out, 4 screws hold the stereo bracket in place. The rest is straightforward

Perhaps I should take pictures....

Pictures would be great then we could maybe turn it

into a guide for others to use maybe.. well that's silly if

the trim isn't actually held on by screws lol, now I have to

remember where all the screws go I took out! :-[

I took out the glovebox cos I'm running some gauge wires

up into the dash where the sunglasses holder is (if that's what you call it)