Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

side intrusion bar removal

Guest loren

Guest loren
 Tony']

[quote name='loren said:

ended up just gutting the rear doors with the grinder... the winding mechanism and door cards

are long gone... saved at least 0.5kg all up on the rears.

/quote]

How did you get the window to stay up?? or do you have wind up windows rather than electrics?

they were electrics... i took the motor and scissor type thing out a while ago, and just

left in the runners that window slides up and down on. I put a couple of bolts through

the top of the runners to keep the window up permanently... today I cut out most of the interior of the door and most of the left runner. the right runner is need to provide

a bit of extra strength.

Guest loren
 keltik said:

Time to start making fiberglass/CF panels in your spare time :P

been meaning the make some fibre glass panels for a while... I have no room at the moment though... and I hate the resin and all the dust.

CF would be nice, too expensive though.

Munkvy said:

Sounds like its time to go to Lexan windows Loren? And perhaps get some lighter wheels?

Have you removed the skin from the inside of the boot and all the spare brackets that you can get the angle grinder to?

Careful you dont want to start her off ::)

swiftbrad']

[quote name='Munkvy said:

Sounds like its time to go to Lexan windows Loren? And perhaps get some lighter wheels?

Have you removed the skin from the inside of the boot and all the spare brackets that you can get the angle grinder to?

/quote]

Careful you dont want to start her off ::)

You realize loren is a dude right?

Guest loren
 Munkvy said:

yeah would love lexan all round and CF panels, but not sure who is gonna pay for it all.

haven't touched the boot... thinking about it though... would prefer to lose weight from the front of the

car, it seems there's more weight to lose at the back at this point. I plan on walking to and from my new

job, so will have some weight reduction in the drivers seat at least, hopefully.

loren']

[quote name='Munkvy said:

/quote]

yeah would love lexan all round and CF panels, but not sure who is gonna pay for it all.

haven't touched the boot... thinking about it though... would prefer to lose weight from the front of the

car, it seems there's more weight to lose at the back at this point. I plan on walking to and from my new

job, so will have some weight reduction in the drivers seat at least, hopefully.

Think of the health benefits too!

Guest loren

just weighed the front door cards and they are 2.5kg each, so a saving of 5kg!

my internal scales are obviously way off, so am guessing that the metal taken

out of the rear doors is closer to 2.5kg all up.

7.5kg is pretty good.

Guest loren

http://picasaweb.google.com/loren.brookes/RearDoorsLightened

here is a pic of a rear door now it is gutted. looking at the pic I could have

done a tidier job... the other one looks better ;)

Rough steps to do this.

Remove whatever is required to get the motor and associated mechanisms out.

Put the left and right runners back in and lift the window up to the top, careful

not to pull it out of the door completely... use race tape on the outside of the door

to prevent the window from falling. I taped it up with the door closed as it made

it easier.

Open up the door, and try to work out where to drill the holes required for the

bolts marked on my picture. You don't have to do it exactly the same... whatever

you can figure out will stop the window moving up or down. I needed 2 bolts

to hold the left side of the window, but only one for the right. The right side

bolt at the back, clamps the window into the runner. EDIT: looks like I only

needed to drill one hole actually, on the right runner.

Get angle grinder and go mad. I cut the left runner away just leaving the top bit,

but decided the leave the right runner in... you will know why ;)

paint with rust prevention paint.

• 5 weeks later...

Done this!! thanks heaps for the run through!! weighed all the s##t up that i removed and came to just over 7kg with the motors, central locking solenoids and thats not including the outer door cards. didn't remove the side intrusion bar either, the whole dents on the outside of the door thing sorta put me off for now.