Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

side intrusion bar removal

Guest loren

Guest loren

I guess anything is possible with an angle grinder, but I don't want to screw the door up

and make it a weak POS as the car is still driven on the road, not just trailered around.

Guest boostcut

why do you want to remove them??? its more than likely a structual part of the door and it will be flimsy without it for the saving of less than 1kg.

We usually cut them out using a sabre saw. You can remove some of the metalwork from the door with a grinder if you need to use that. Just make sure the window mechanism still has something to attach too after you've attacked it ;)

Guest loren
 Koom said:

We usually cut them out using a sabre saw. You can remove some of the metalwork from the door with a grinder if you need to use that. Just make sure the window mechanism still has something to attach too after you've attacked it ;)

ok thanks. do you usually try and remove the brackets or just the bar...

or pretty much whatever you can reach with the saw?

Guest loren
 boostcut said:

why do you want to remove them??? its more than likely a structual part of the door and it will be flimsy without it for the saving of less than 1kg.

I think the doors would be strong enough without the bars... I've seen the doors of a coupe

that have been lightened, and they were very flimsy, but I have a sedan, am not going

to remove too much.

loren']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

ok thanks. do you usually try and remove the brackets or just the bar...

or pretty much whatever you can reach with the saw?

Usually try to remove as much as possible while leaving the door still able to do its main task of keeping the dust out and holding the windows up.

Have hacked up sedan and coupe ones like this before without any issues. Usually they get a sheet of carbon fibre or thin aluminium attached which gives them some stiffness back.

Guest boostcut

ok fair comment... coupe doors are really long too haha.

i would drill it to see how thick it is... if its super thick then yeah remove it but if not id weigh up the pros and cons of having to possibly paint etc

Guest loren

good idea about drilling a hole first... but not wanting to hack the door really... was hoping

to be able to unscrew the bars until I had a good look... then thought there maybe a

couple if spot welds at each side I could drill out.

Guest loren
 Koom']

[quote name='loren said:

What does the bar from a sedan door weigh do you think?

/quote]

Not much. At a guess they're about 1.6mm in thickness. Every bit helps though ;)

yeah and there's not much else I can do without spending a load of money now.

Actually I can't think of anything.

Guest loren
 GC8E2DD said:

Take your bonnet and bumpers off - that's what the drifters do =P

They won't mind at Slipway ...

schA will not allow that even if slipway will :)

I'm pretty sure that if you lighten your doors like that you need side intrusion bars in your cage anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Guest loren

yeah have already got some substantial side intrusion bars in the cage, so safety is not an issue

removing the standard ones.

Guest loren

I found that each end of the intrusion bar is welded to the door with 4 spot welds.

I drilled out all 4 on one side, but the bar didn't move... drilled out a couple on

the other side, but managed to make a couple of little dents visible on the outside of

the door :( so got a bit nervous about carrying on... then realised that the bar is glued

to the inside of the door, and am not convinced I could remove it without bending the

exterior panel :(

ended up just gutting the rear doors with the grinder... the winding mechanism and door cards

are long gone... saved at least 0.5kg all up on the rears.

for the fronts I just replaced the door cards with a sheet of 0.8mm plastic. saved at least 1kg.

those doors cards are pretty bulky.

loren said:

ended up just gutting the rear doors with the grinder... the winding mechanism and door cards

are long gone... saved at least 0.5kg all up on the rears.

How did you get the window to stay up?? or do you have wind up windows rather than electrics?