Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Autosure Warranty's

Ben

Hi all,

Just wondering who is with / has dealt with Autosure for their mechanical warrantys. Good company? How much do they set you back?

Just looking at a 1998-1999 WRX STI, but definetely would not be buying one (or a turbo subaru in general) again without one.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Ben

Oh ok. Sounds reasonable and worth the investment of $20.00 a month. Just trying to guage whether they are the company to go with. From the gist they seem the most reputable?

i was with them the first 2 years i had my car, cost me $1500, i had the platinum policy, no excess at all, claim up to $10,000 each claim, and unlimited claims. paid out on a few things, front wheel bearing, waterpump, clutch (upgraded to a twin turbo item), rear sway bar links. got my moneys worth anyway and it was good piece of mind.

only thing they didnt pay out which i claimed was gearbox syncros, but only cause they hadnt failed yet, they were just a little worn. but yet the clutch hadnt failed either, go figure.

unfortunately as hard as i tried i never did get that engine rebuild i wanted ;)

only bad thing i can think to tell you is they dont like any mods been done, i used to put all the factory parts back on before taking it to a mechanic for claims lol, even the rear muffler, warranty companies will use anything they can to get out of paying if they can.

Morning Driftrex,

Many thanks for the detail in your post. Just what i was looking for! Both cars i am primarily looking at dont have any mods except for being lowered on springs. Have you discontinued your policy with them now? When you say 'clutch' are you emplying that they replaced it when it reached the end of its life through general wear and tear?

i'm with autosure have been with the last two cars i've owned including this one (1996 Tsr legacy) they are pretty good at paying out but note they wont pay for cambelts unless you have replaced it yourself then after replacement it decided to break etc then yes its covered as far as i know.

also exhausts aren't covered i've had bigbore on my cars and never bothered to remove. If car is lowered after purchase of warranty then you must inform them or they will cancel your warranty sometimes if you inform them then they will just void any suspension claims

they also will not payout for blocked heater cores or any other manufactors (can't spell) faults as i found out the hard way apart from that they are reasonably good they do pay out for clutches etc so thats a bonus

hope this helps

chur

Timo

Thats a standard practice with servicing. Thou read your policy about service needs.

also so say the service agent has to be MTA memeber too.

Read the policy 2 or 3 times and get advice on anything you not sure of, cause like a post before, if they can find a way to get out of a claim, they will.

Yeah i dont diss agree with the 5km servicing. But doing it yourself with quality oil for $80 and taking it to say Subaru who will do it for $200 soon adds up. I will have to contact them tomorrow in regards to picking up a policy off them anyway as i do not have one as of yet.

Ben said:

Morning Driftrex,

Many thanks for the detail in your post. Just what i was looking for! Both cars i am primarily looking at dont have any mods except for being lowered on springs. Have you discontinued your policy with them now? When you say 'clutch' are you emplying that they replaced it when it reached the end of its life through general wear and tear?

yea my policy ran out just over a year and never looked at renewing it as i was starting to get into the mods by then. the clutch was replaced, pressure plate/friction plate/bearing, it wasnt totally at the end of its life but it was worn, however i have no idea what the mechanic told Autosure, he may of said it was totally stuffed for all i know, apparently they were also an assessor themselves for Autosure lol.

service intervals with that policy were a maximum of 15,000kms but i did mine every 10,000kms as oil is getting quite black by then and it does have to be done by a workshop that can stamp the warranty book and must use the right grade of oil (synthetic). my services were costing me $130 a pop at Pitstop. you certainly dont have to have servicing done at the subaru dealer, that will cost you an arm and a leg.

however now i do services for a job and they cost me nothing i do every 5,000kms :)

we do warranty servicing at my work im at now and for turbo subarus your looking at $105 incl gst. so shop around.

D-Style said:

Thats a standard practice with servicing. Thou read your policy about service needs.

also so say the service agent has to be MTA memeber too.

Read the policy 2 or 3 times and get advice on anything you not sure of, cause like a post before, if they can find a way to get out of a claim, they will.

thats incorrect, my work is not an mta member, and we have 9 franchises over the country, we do alot of warranty servicing, including autosure, driveright, lumley, and all other warranty companies, we also cover all factory dealer warranties with no trouble (although they dont like us taking their servicing away on new vehicles lol)

they may say in the policy that you have to be mta but thats incorrect, as long as the right products are used and book filled out and stamped your covered.

Guest boostin

And it must be serviced every 10,000km or earlier. They will decline claims if its more than a few hundred km over.

They don't cover fluids etc though, so if the engine gets rebuilt, you pay the excess and the oil and coolant. Not a major in the grand scheme of things, just something to be aware of.

boostin said:

And it must be serviced every 10,000km or earlier. They will decline claims if its more than a few hundred km over.

unless its changed in the last year, my autosure warranty was every 15,000km max servicing, still have the book sitting in my glovebox ;)

although you really dont want to go that long in a turbo car. but that what my warranty book says.

Guest boostin

Oh true? Our Autosure assessor must be a nazi then!!

And no mods allowed either. I know of a STI that was fairly well modded and blew a BEB, and the owner towed it home and him and a few mates went hard on it for a few hours returning it to stock to make a claim. It got accepted.

driftrex']

[quote name='D-Style said:

also so say the service agent b]has to be MTA memeber too[/b].

thats incorrect, my work is not an mta member, and we have 9 franchises over the country, we do alot of warranty servicing, including autosure, driveright, lumley, and all other warranty companies, we also cover all factory dealer warranties with no trouble (although they dont like us taking their servicing away on new vehicles lol)

they may say in the policy that you have to be mta but thats incorrect, as long as the right products are used and book filled out and stamped your covered.

Thats interesting then....

I had to take Lumley to court because they werent going to pay out on a BEB claim due to my mechanic wasnt MTA memeber.

Even thou it was serviced as per requirements (plus alot of extra service)

D-Style']

[quote name='D-Style said:

also so say the service agent b]has to be MTA memeber too[/b].

Thats interesting then....

I had to take Lumley to court because they werent going to pay out on a BEB claim due to my mechanic wasnt MTA memeber.

Even thou it was serviced as per requirements (plus alot of extra service)

if that was to happen with us, we would support/back the customer 100% in the claim and so would our supplier Caltex, it definately helps to have a big name like Caltex/Chevron backing you ;D

we have had this happen before with a car with a factory toyota warranty, and they backed down. toyota in particular really hate us but unless they provide free servicing and labour they can not force their customers to go back to them for warranty servicing. so we continue to service their warranties at about a 3rd of the price they charge lol.

did they eventually pay out when you took it to court?

They paid out for the pull down and the cost of a second hand engine. But I had to take it to another mechanic (cause Lumley wouldnt pay out unless it was installed by a MTA member)

and pay the for the install (as well as the other normal things) Did the clutch as same time too.

So had to pay out about $2500 of my own money

And as i was in the middle of moving to aussie and selling the car, just provided a stressful time over somthing which should of been easy.

Should of just done the job myself