Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

ECU reflash quick question

lunchie

EJ20T said:

Hmmmm the above is a big throw up, do you want a quick, tidy low km's car, or a truly fast older high kms car? the ver9 is very nice tho. in terms of service and repair, from working in the industry, its hard to fit the wrong parts on cars like STI's and evos, they have alot of specific parts that if you order the wrong one its obvious when you try and fit it, alot of the time you can only get genuine parts, or if theres a aftermarket listing, it will group correct models togeather anyway so theres no point getting worried about it. if your worried about oils just supply your own when you go in for service, problem solved.

this single quote has put my mind at ease. I think its the sti for me, means abit more saving but I think a version NZ new V9 sti is the ticket, just ganna have to get the front seats retrimed..... the blue thing just doesnt do it for me.

Get STM to reflash it, warranty comp will never know.

Hey presto 200kw atw reliable daily drive.

Hey you V7-10 sti owners... how many kms per litre you get around town or kms per tank?

mmmm V9

Thanks guys

You have made my mind up. Another STI convert.

Nice pick, have u driven a ver8/9 sti before? you might find you dont even need a reflash to fill ur needs, altho ive herd people claim increased fuel econ with reflashes so maybe a win win if you get one. Not trying to take anything from STM or any other tuner, but im pretty sure you can get the softwere to reflash ver9's from openecu (open source). if you have a lap top (or can borrow one) and buy or borrow a tactrix cable a tuner can only charge you for there time and dyno fees, not for softwere they get for free!

""Hey you V7-10 sti owners... how many kms per litre you get around town or kms per tank?""

11 litres per 100km - V7 STI, up to 15 per 100km if going for it.

Don't get an STI if you care about fuel economy. Really.

Everything costs more than a "normal" car. Insurance, tyres, brakes, petrol, maintenance, parts e.t.c. If you can only just afford one, don't buy it!

richm said:

""Hey you V7-10 sti owners... how many kms per litre you get around town or kms per tank?""

11 litres per 100km - V7 STI, up to 15 per 100km if going for it.

Don't get an STI if you care about fuel economy. Really.

Everything costs more than a "normal" car. Insurance, tyres, brakes, petrol, maintenance, parts e.t.c. If you can only just afford one, don't buy it!

nar I got a good job, money shouldnt be too much of an Issue, but im not paying finance for the car, so gotta save for a little while longer, and yes drover a factory NZ v9sti, loved it!

subiv5 said:

Get the V9 STI. Simple.

1. Its a NZ New car. So will no doubt have a full perfect service history since new will high quality oil's through Subaru.

The result of this is that it will go for years and reliability won't be an issue.

2. The Sti will hold its value much better than the WRX. You see it on trademe time and time again.

3. Go test drive both cars, preferably with in a day of each other. After driving both your decision should be clear.

4. As far as the Sti being harder to service, I think you used the word rare as the Sti. Well I am very sure that there would be more if not as many of the Sti's in the country as the WRX's. (Ahh just realised thats a V9 Sti so yeah maybe not, but there are tonnes of V8 Sti's.)

5. If you decide you don't want the Sti, I would think you may need to rethink why you are wanting a turbo subaru in the first place. There are plenty of other cars out there. Maybe some sort of Audi?

+1

I was in the same boat, really wanting a v8 or v9 sti, but my mint v7 sti turned up on trademe.

I got it at 59 000kms (NZ new) and it is a minta. I paid a bit more obvious than other around, but it has pretty much full service history at mclennan, plus i got a 3 year warranty thrown in too. you just gotta find/wait for mine ones.

I remember there was a v7 sti with like 30 000kms a few months ago. there are some still around no doubt

555v7sti said:

Yeah but you don't do shocks everyday and when you do, specific the year/model etc. It wouldnt keep me from not buying a v9.

You dont want some muppet working on your car anyway. take it to the proper people i suppose

The V9 has revised drivetrain layout to the V8, I'm don't think the shocks from a V8 will swap over. The twinscroll is pretty resposive from low revs and starts pulling from about 2500rpm. Even on the motorway at 100kph in 6th gear, put your foot down and the power is there. No need to "rape" it.

• 1 month later...

as above the twin scroll is awesom nd mine pulls from yeah about 2800rpm and doesnt drop off. Sti all the way! btw my friend has a 05 wrx non sti and to be honest its slow. A non sti v5 would deal to it. as mentioned earlier the 6 speed box, brembos, dccd all the stuf you will get makes it definitly worth the extra money and definitly hold its value better!