Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2004 Legacy center dash screen????

Hailz

subieboy']

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

So the only hope now is to import one from an Aussie or American market Legacy. I'll let you all know how I get on with that./quote]

You will want the Aus /nz/uk version one.

I believe US is different due to region stuff..

Yea the aussie one seems to be the best one to get. I've emailed a bunch of wreckers in Sydney, but haven't heard anything back. So for now I have given up (snowboard season eats my weekends) until spring.

The US one would probably work as well, as I'm not to concerned about playing DVDs or even GPS, just want to get all the car information in English. The bonus with a USD one is you can buy them off Ebay, whereas the AUD ones are harder to come by (I haven't found a second hand one for sale yet).

Treecrusher']

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

So the only hope now is to import one from an Aussie or American market Legacy. I'll let you all know how I get on with that./quote]

You will want the Aus /nz/uk version one.

I believe US is different due to region stuff..

Yea the aussie one seems to be the best one to get. I've emailed a bunch of wreckers in Sydney, but haven't heard anything back. So for now I have given up (snowboard season eats my weekends) until spring.

The US one would probably work as well, as I'm not to concerned about playing DVDs or even GPS, just want to get all the car information in English. The bonus with a USD one is you can buy them off Ebay, whereas the AUD ones are harder to come by (I haven't found a second hand one for sale yet).

Broaden your horizon to the other states in Aus, like Qld, Vict, WA... there is bound to be someone over here that would do it...

ceedoubleyou']

[quote name='ceedoubleyou said:

I was looking at replacing the screen with one of these if it fits.

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=295959080[/url]

That probably won't fit as the factory screen is only about half as deep as that and the heater ducts sit in behind it. Not to mention the buttons of the factory unit integrate with the moulding.

There are aftermarket Kenwood units made to fit, if you can get one in New Zealand.

If you try and it does fit let me know.

I'm gunna check it out sometime next week, mine doesn't have any buttons in the moulding, the buttons are all part of the unit beside the screen and it is just a player, no idea how it works, there seems to be just 2 options, camera and VCD, I think, oh it is also has a TV, couple of the channels have a rolling pic. The company that sells the "ezitrip" unit is local.

OK, here is my dash, It doesn't have a clock or the outside temp, I'm guessing it lost it when the screen went in.

Anyone else have one like this?

http://yfrog.com/5d123342969fullj

Treecrusher']

[quote name='ceedoubleyou said:

I was looking at replacing the screen with one of these if it fits.

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=295959080[/url]

That probably won't fit as the factory screen is only about half as deep as that and the heater ducts sit in behind it. Not to mention the buttons of the factory unit integrate with the moulding.

There are aftermarket Kenwood units made to fit, if you can get one in New Zealand.

If you try and it does fit let me know.

Yep, your're right, there is no depth whatsoever behind that screen.

Going to check to see if there is a conversion kit to replace the existing head unit in the console with the 2 din dvd etc player. I'm not holding my breath. :-\

It costs megabucks to replace OE stereo surround with a double din size hole stereo surround, $700+gst.

This is my next idea, replace existing 7" screen with one of these:

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/7-inch-touch-screen-gps-navigator-fm-transmitter-bluetooth/

Does anyone know how easy it is to obtain NZ maps in WIN CE 5.0 format for the GPS on a SD card, it does warn that Garmin does not work on this unit. Dick Smith seems to just deal in Garmin software. I'll approach all the usual GPS companies. :)

ceedoubleyou said:

It costs megabucks to replace OE stereo surround with a double din size hole stereo surround, $700+gst.

This is my next idea, replace existing 7" screen with one of these:

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/7-inch-touch-screen-gps-navigator-fm-transmitter-bluetooth/

Does anyone know how easy it is to obtain NZ maps in WIN CE 5.0 format for the GPS on a SD card, it does warn that Garmin does not work on this unit. Dick Smith seems to just deal in Garmin software. I'll approach all the usual GPS companies. :)

Now this looks interesting:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/GPS/Automotive/auction-300357316.htm

All set to go, maps and everything.

This might be the way to go. I wonder if it has a clock?

If we are all still talking about B*5 Legacies then I don't see how these will work.

the factory system has buttons along the bottom of the screen that are surrounded by a piece of the dash plastic. The only solution I could think of for a standard 2 din screen is to buy a non-screen "pocket" type dash piece to go where the screen is, then buy the new air-conditioning plastic and double din insert to put the screen where the stereo goes. But then that sort of defeats the purpose.

Check this out:http://www.cars101.com/subaru/navigation.html

You can get the unit in english, just need to find a wrecker in either Aussie or USA who will sell you one. Personally I think this would be the easiest and cheapest option.

Treecrusher said:

If we are all still talking about B*5 Legacies then I don't see how these will work.

the factory system has buttons along the bottom of the screen that are surrounded by a piece of the dash plastic. The only solution I could think of for a standard 2 din screen is to buy a non-screen "pocket" type dash piece to go where the screen is, then buy the new air-conditioning plastic and double din insert to put the screen where the stereo goes. But then that sort of defeats the purpose.

Check this out:http://www.cars101.com/subaru/navigation.html

You can get the unit in english, just need to find a wrecker in either Aussie or USA who will sell you one. Personally I think this would be the easiest and cheapest option.

Hi TC

This is what my screen looks like,

http://yfrog.com/5d123342969fullj

it seems to be an after market product, player is under the drivers seat, no buttons in the moulding so new screen unit should just replace existing 7" screen, I'm planning on picking up the unit tomorrow and have my installer look at how he will go about replacing existing unit over the weekend. If all goes well , Ill post a pic.

Treecrusher said:

Why don't you sell the surround to me ;D

Well thats another option to follow, try and find a surround like yours.

I'll need the existing surround to use on the new screen, maybe I should take a mould off it. Have you seen what Ed Auto Services charge for the stereo surround to house a double din unit? $700 + GST, it does include new a/c and heater controls.