Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help!

MISS_REX

Hey everyone......apparently my Version 8 STI needs a new Air fuel ratio sensor.....price I have been given for a new one from Japan is completely retarded. Does anyone have or know of anyone with a Version 8 STI that could do me a favour? I would love to swap air fuel ratio sensors to make sure that it is 100% the problem.....not going to spend ridiculous money on something if its not the problem!

Any help would be great. Or if you know of any aftermarket places that have a part that would fit or someone wrecking a V8 STI ;D

I have no idea what a lambda sensor is.....apparently its the air fuel ratio sensor...it sits at the top of my dump pipe by the turbo. They did try fitting one from another WRX but it didnt fit. I would out an aftermarket one in but no idea where to get one from...

Treecrusher said:

Isn't it just a lambda sensor? Pretty sure you can put pretty much any one in there, the hard bit is the plug as the wires are usually stainless steel which you can't solder.

Don;t think you have to get a genuine V8 from Japan.

v8 STI AF sensors are different to v7 sti and v8 WRX sensors in position and plug. I would be carefull using another sensor as the calibration must be exacly the same.

Are you the friend of Koom? As he has asked a very similar question in another thread.

Yea the name of that sensor is a lambda sensor/oxygen sensor.

TBH I don't know exactly on your car, but I have swapped them on older WRX's without any problem. Fitting it in the hole not as big of deal as making sure the output is the same and getting it to plug in.

Yeah she's the same person. I also had a chat to Tony at RDL tonight and he reckons that a) they are an expensive prick of a thing and b) not really interchangeable with anything else.

Is it the Lambda/02 sensor or the air/fuel ratio sensor (as the parts dept would call it) I know they are essentially the same thing just with varying sensor ranges and outputs in this case.

The older cars had a narrow band sensor that is easy swapped for universal fitments. If this one is a normal wideband i.e. Bosch or NTK etc then it would be easy to get an aftermarket one to work for half the cost plus could get a snazzy wee gauge to look at (cause we know that girls love blingy things in the car ;):P ) or if its as I now have a suspicion some specific sensor that has a specific range and a specific output then she's screwed and needs to sell her left one (if she had one, sucks to be a girl, can't sell as many body parts to buy car stuff, maybe a kidney???).

Anyway, I might have a google to see what the interwebs has to say on the matter.

Treecrusher said:

They are called Air fuel ratio sensors. The post cat sensor is a normal 1v oxygen sensor to check cat convertor effciancy.

caged']

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

/quote]

They are called Air fuel ratio sensors. The post cat sensor is a normal 1v oxygen sensor to check cat convertor effciancy.

I sense a duck analogy coming on here. But in the interests of harmony I'll let you split the hair :)

Treecrusher']

/quote]

I sense a duck analogy coming on here. But in the interests of harmony I'll let you split the hair :)

Its not splitting hairs, its what the parts dept know them as and apparently if you don't ask specifically for the right one, with the right name, they'll give you the wrong one. No such thing as common sense when it comes to part numbers or something like that ;)

I hear you, it helps to just play the game and make sure you get want you actually want.

Even though lambda/o2/oxygen/air fuel are all names for the same thing. In fact air fuel ratio is not actually measured it is a computation that it done.

Edit, I know you probably know that, just pointing out that sometimes parts computers are a pain in the arse. Especially when trying to buy a genuine part and you don;t know the chassis code. I use to get that a lot on my GTB when it had v3 STi parts on it. Took me ages to remember the code for the STi

Guest boostin
 Koom']

/quote]

Its not splitting hairs, its what the parts dept know them as and apparently if you don't ask specifically for the right one, with the right name, they'll give you the wrong one. No such thing as common sense when it comes to part numbers or something like that ;)

Correct. If you go into Subaru and ask for an oxygen sensor (technically that's what it is) you will get the rear sensor, the one that checks the cat's efficiency.

You have to ask for an air / fuel ratio sensor to get the front sensor.

They are different product lines too. O2 sensors start with 22640xxxxx and A/F sensors are 22641xxxxx. Similar sensors, similar part numbers, but physically totally different.

I had to do one on my B4 a few months ago, Cost around $400 I think from memory.

I've been told by lots of Subaru techs to never use the bosh generic ones on a subaru cause they always feed the wrong voltages back to the ecu.

Causing you to have big problems.