Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 STI Turbo dying. Rebuild, replace or upgrade?

richm

Hi,

I have a wizz type noise coming from the drivers side in my engine when under high boost. Car is at Subaru at present, they spent 5 hours looking for leaks e.t.c. to find that there is much lateral play in the shaft of the turbo. Although we won't know 100% until another turbo is tested, it would appear very likely that my turbo is dying. So, they are going to ring me Tuesday. I would like to be prepared with your recommendations.

Given that the turbo is the problem, should I:

1) Replace with second hand one?

2) Rebuild current turbo, but where and how much?

3) Replace with new genuine subaru turbo?

4) Upgrade to bigger / better turbo?

5) Leave as is until it really dies?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostin

Don't leave it until it dies. If the impellor disintegrates you'll be picking bits of it out of the intercooler, and hoping none made it past into the engine.

A new turbo will be megabucks, guesstimate would be around $4k.

Talk to Steve Murch about a rebuild with some high flow mods thrown in.

I don't like the idea of secondhand turbos. There is very little guarantee, and their history is unknown.

1) Possible option, although you'lll end up paying for a turbo which is already part way into its lifespan.

2) Pretty certain IHI turbos have their centre sections sealed at the factory and can't be (easily) rebuilt.

3) $$$ (especially Subaru OEM stuff) and you have get more power for your dollar with other options, but if you like the way the stock car drives then a definite option.

4) $$$ as well, and you may need supporting mods like injectors and fuel pump to support it.

5) It's already dead for all intents and purposes.

So yeah, it all depends on your power plans and your budget.

Guest loren
 boostin said:

Don't leave it until it dies. If the impellor disintegrates you'll be picking bits of it out of the intercooler, and hoping none made it past into the engine.

last time I looked at a new VF is was around $1500 NZ.

Guest boostin
 loren']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

From Subaru? Or somewhere else?

I know my mechanic paid 2.2k for the vf22 on my car around 18 months ago. I'm not sure what the other VF's go for but I would of thought it be around the same sorta price range. Excluding anything thats twinscroll.

Guest loren
 boostin']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

From Subaru? Or somewhere else?

No from a place down here, "Diesel and Turbo" or something like that... seen them online for that kinda price to.

Guest boostin

Ah ok. He asked about a new genuine STi turbo, so I was talking about from Subaru. Diesel and Turbo are definitely a cheaper option though.

So even when its most likely off the same assembly line, and through the same distributors, probably came in on the same shipment its not geniune unless a subaru registered mechanic/dealer has added an obscene markup?

wrx_lou said:

So even when its most likely off the same assembly line, and through the same distributors, probably came in on the same shipment its not geniune unless a subaru registered mechanic/dealer has added an obscene markup?

I suppose so. They won't offer any sort of warranty on a Turbo that is absolutely mechanically the same that you brought from Kebabhairdriers.com

Guest loren

Are you just a snob or a subaru whore?

There are plenty of reputable companies on the planet not called subaru ::)

Diesel and turbo would give a warranty BTW.

BC5RA']

[quote name='wrx_lou said:

/quote]

I suppose so. They won't offer any sort of warranty on a Turbo that is absolutely mechanically the same that you brought from Kebabhairdriers.com

isint there like a replacement turbo from one of the sponsers for like 750?

forgot the name but swupposed to be a 400hp replacement model... gotta look for the one i was thinking of as sometime ago i was looking at one.

there was another from a club member which wud be a good upgrade

pity on ur turbo bro

wrx_lou']

Again your talking as if they are second rate turbos ie. buying a DSR chinese made td05 to replace your factory td05.

[quote name='loren said:

Are you just a snob or a subaru whore?

There are plenty of reputable companies on the planet not called subaru ::)

Diesel and turbo would give a warranty BTW.

I think you misunderstood, I'm coming at it from both of your points of view.

Guest loren

ok.

I'll buy "genuine" subaru stuff if other brand stuff is not good enough quality, but I won't pay their markup

for EXACTLY the same product if I don't have to. And their markups are obscene, especially when

there's about 5 different markups on anything by the time we get it.

loren said:

ok.

I'll buy "genuine" subaru stuff if other brand stuff is not good enough quality, but I won't pay their markup

for EXACTLY the same product if I don't have to. And their markups are obscene, especially when

there's about 5 different markups on anything by the time we get it.

Agreed.

$1000 for a genuine STI forged piston, which are probably outsourced to one of the many piston manufacturers offering similar but four of.

Yes, a worn turbo was not what I was expecting or hoping for given the thorough pre-purchase inspection and problem free motoring until now. :( As above, the wizzing noise is not 100% certain to be due to the turbo until a replacement has been tested on Tuesday, but Subaru describe it as "extremely likely" because of the apparent shaft play. I would like to be prepared to discuss options with them on Tuesday instead of them being made for me.

Yes, Steve, is well known for his work. A bit of a legend for PC and karting. Is his company Automotive Engineering?

Is it true that the turbos from Driven Performance (or similar) are not very good? I did e-mail them also, they did recommend the "top quality, highly reliable", Japanense manufactured:

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1650

or bigger:

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1684

Thanks for your opinions, tips and advice. The combined knowledge of ClubSub certainly is useful in preparing oneself. I have crossed out the "second hand turbo" and "leave as is" options following your advice.

Cheers.