Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 STI Turbo dying. Rebuild, replace or upgrade?

richm

Guest boostin

Genuine Subaru gives you a full 24 month unlimited km's warranty when fitted by an authorised service centre. I doubt you'll find any other warranty that goes past a year or 20,000km.

wrx_lou']

Subaru dont make IHI turbo's you twat. You dont have to get it off them for it to be genuine.

Sorry Sir F*ckstain, but he did specifically ask for a genuine Subaru STi turbo, which is why I mentioned it.

[quote name='richm said:

Hi,

I have a wizz type noise coming from the drivers side in my engine when under high boost. Car is at Subaru at present, they spent 5 hours looking for leaks e.t.c. to find that there is much lateral play in the shaft of the turbo. Although we won't know 100% until another turbo is tested, it would appear very likely that my turbo is dying. So, they are going to ring me Tuesday. I would like to be prepared with your recommendations.

Given that the turbo is the problem, should I:

1) Replace with second hand one?

2) Rebuild current turbo, but where and how much?

b]3) Replace with new genuine subaru STI turbo?[/b]

4) Upgrade to bigger / better turbo?

5) Leave as is until it really dies?

Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

I'm fully aware there are other suppliers of the same turbo. You can get a genuine Subaru STi turbo from Subaru, or a genuine IHI RHB/RHF/VFxx turbo from Diesel and Turbo. the difference is the warranty. Whether it is worth the difference in price is up to the buyer. And btw, the $4k guesstimate is just that, a guesstimate.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boostin
 richm said:

Yes, a worn turbo was not what I was expecting or hoping for given the thorough pre-purchase inspection and problem free motoring until now. :( As above, the wizzing noise is not 100% certain to be due to the turbo until a replacement has been tested on Tuesday, but Subaru describe it as "extremely likely" because of the apparent shaft play. I would like to be prepared to discuss options with them on Tuesday instead of them being made for me.

Yes, Steve, is well known for his work. Is his company Automotive Engineering?

Is it true that the turbos from Driven Performance (or similar) are not very good? I did e-mail them also, they did recommend the "top quality, highly reliable", Japanense manufactured:

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1650

or bigger:

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1684

Thanks for your opinions, tips and advice. The combined knowledge of ClubSub certainly is useful in preparing oneself. I have crossed out the "second hand turbo" and "leave as is" options following your advice.

Cheers.

No, its Motorsport Engineering, or MSE.

boostin said:

Sorry Sir F*ckstain, but he did specifically ask for a genuine Subaru STi turbo, which is why I mentioned it.

I'm fully aware there are other suppliers of the same turbo. You can get a genuine Subaru STi turbo from Subaru, or a genuine IHI RHB/RHF/VFxx turbo from Diesel and Turbo. the difference is the warranty. Whether it is worth the difference in price is up to the buyer. And btw, the $4k guesstimate is just that, a guesstimate.

lol. Ok, but if you go back to the first page of this thread you stated 'If it's not from Subaru it's not genuine.'

That is what my argument was. I'm not arguing his question nor anything to do with a warranty. I am arguing that you dont have to buy it through Subaru for it to be geniune.

Guest boostin

Oh FFS! He wanted genuine Subaru! Which you can only get from Subaru! If you want a VF30 then you can buy it from either Subaru or D&T.

Guest boostcut

and once its out of the packaging and on the car nobody will know until you get the p plate

THIS

is not a genuine turbo on my car

Guest boostin
 boostcut said:

and once its out of the packaging and on the car nobody will know until you get the p plate

THIS

is not a genuine turbo on my car

Very true. That's when it all comes down to the warranty.

Guest crunchy

Warrenties only stand when everything meets as it was oem,not even a aftermarket panel filter is allowed these days.

Unless you get a lumlies or how ever its spelt then or you have to take it on the chin.

Most places are pretty good at stand behind things even for the sake of good will,but if its a result of something else they dont wont to know about it.

Theres good reason why we mod our cars and if it was meant to be that way it would been done factory for you.

In regardes to replacment turbo if it came from a ihi box and then the surplier doesnt have to be subaru then itll be fine.

Ask subaru the replacment cost for the new single turbo twin scroll vf38 and see what they say, you will be looking else where or selling your car as they list them around 7k! and a turbo shop is 4k!

There not a good turbo but i can change that one,wink wink

Guest boostcut

about 6 years ago when i worked at toyota a brand new ct26 celica turbo was about 7k. its fricken rediculous. and tnz had a few sitting on the shelf. i bet some lucky bugger got them real cheap on a old stock clearout.

If your happy with the current turbo power replace it.

There is no such thing as a sti subaru turbo its a turbo made by IHI. If it really was a part made by/ designed by subaru it would be stamped on it.

If you buy it off IHI its the real deal.

Its like saying the tyres your sti came with are geninue sti tyres and you can only get them from subaru...

Just get steve to rebuild it and it will be just like new.

Guest SPANKU
 nt_a_foz said:

Yeah josh got a vf22 brand new at trade for 1.3k but that was over a year ago .

i got a brand new vf22 for $1300 3 years ago

the td05 - 20g from driven performance was the one i was talking of. seems to have good warrently behind it and driven performance seems to be an ok company to deal with,

can anyone here vouch for their turbos or warrently service etc?

loren said:

They're Chinese turbos AFAIK.

:o for real??

dammm!! i thought they were good stuff...

my mate once got a t3/t4 turbo from ns spec in manukau and few months later it shoved bits of blade in the engine and destroyed the thing - was a v4 wrx that died due to them bad turbos >:(

Guest loren

Yep, Chinese and maybe some Taiwanese stuff, but not Japanese. If you ask him

if his stuff is Chinese, he waves his hands around a lot and says his stuff is top

quality, but won't say where it comes from.

Theres a lot of threads on NASIOC about people who have bought cheap Chinese replica TD05 turbos off eBay. Some people have gotten a reasonable lifespan out of them. However, the majority experience has been premature failure, and observation of poor quality castings. The overwhelming concensus is to avoid them like the plague, and to save up for one from a reputable builder (Blouch, Forced Performance, Deadbolt, prominent JDM tuners, etc) rather than risk the bargain.

Not saying that Driven Performance are trying to hock off substandard Chinese turbos, but if there's any question that they come from the same supply chain as the ones on eBay, there's plenty of experience in the US which says to steer well clear.

FYI, BNT now supply genuine IHI turbo's if your really keen, cheaper than Subaru prices but not much cheaper

A mate of mine just got 237kw out of one of Steve Murch's (crunchy) on a V7 sti with a very light weight reflash (he asked for a safe tune). FMIC, CAI, Extractors

Stoffa said:

FYI, BNT now supply genuine IHI turbo's if your really keen, cheaper than Subaru prices but not much cheaper

A mate of mine just got 237kw out of one of Steve Murch's (crunchy) on a V7 sti with a very light weight reflash (he asked for a safe tune). FMIC, CAI, Extractors

arrr thats your mate.. what turbo went into that.. was that the 36 with P20 housing?, and could it hold boost up high?

substirex said:

Can anyone here confirm that a VF30 turbo can be rebuilt? and if psoosible roughly how much??

yer it can, depending on which bits need replacing (i know the turbine housings on those are prone to cracking), talk to Steve murch as he does them (crunchy on CS), look at anywhere from 600-1000

Hmmm (crackin) dont think i wanna have it rebuilt now, Whats the TD05 series turbos like in the v7s??? my mate got a rebuilt one for sale, not sure if its a 16 or 18g tho

funkytown']

[quote name='Stoffa said:

/quote]

arrr thats your mate.. what turbo went into that.. was that the 36 with P20 housing?, and could it hold boost up high?

Correct, VF36 P20 with a compressor wheel about the size of a big 16G, with better actuator he got 18.9 psi dropping off to 17.5. It was only on the dyno for about an hour so were pretty sure he didn't touch the cam timing

VF30 has a thrust instead of a ball bearing centre, a modified td05 will easily boost above 20psi.

Theres a TD06 20G on trademe at the moment....go on!!!