Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

help!! hard to change gears

can any one help.it just got realy hard to change gears.its like its stiff and hard to go into 3rd and 5th but not all the time and its getting worse.

newby said:

can any one help.it just got realy hard to change gears.its like its stiff and hard to go into 3rd and 5th but not all the time and its getting worse.

just put new oil in becuse it had fuck all but its still the same

could be a few things..

- syncros are worn, each gear except reverse has its own pair. (probably not the fault if its very suddenly become difficult)

however if you can double clutch/rev match into gear no problem, it can be a good indicator of syncro fault

- sycnros are glazed

you can try and deglaze by standing on the brake and with the clutch out putting a small amount of pressure on the gearlever, almost putting it into gear. you should feel resistance, as the syncros slip on each other. when doing this you don't want to engage the gear and stall the car. the idea is to wear the glaze off. do for few seconds at a time through the gears (except reverse)

- selector is bent

will only effect gears in pairs 1/2 or 3/4 or 5/R. this will be a physical resistance to engaging the gear. trying harder makes it worse.

- clutch is not fully dissengaging in between shifts. (likely?)

to test, while stopped, depress clutch and select reverse. if it graunches consistently while selecting it in and out without coming off the clutch - means the main shaft in the gearbox is still being spun by the engine even with the clutch in. [normally you get 1 crunch, but then the shaft has stopped spinning.]

this stuff is simple if you have pulled apart gboxes and understand the theory. i expect its pretty confusing otherwise. and there will be other things i don't know about, i'm no expert.

find someone who understands gearboxes to have a play and see if they can diagnose it

good luck

thanks will try the clutch is it easy to adjust and yes it s just going into 3rd an 5th but hard to get out of 2nd sumtimes ??? :) ;D 8)sorted was loose bolt on bushes :D :D :D;):);):D

• 2 weeks later...

Lol it sucks because its a Subaru gearbox! That and its aged alot. Mine has similiar problems ,1st and 2nd especially difficult sometimes (1st pretty much wont go in unless you are stationary), and reverse doesnt always engage fully. If you can sit at traffic lights and quickly work through all of gears repeatedly and it becomes easier id suspect its the oil. Thats what mine does and i just bought some oil today so i,ll see if it makes any difference.

I read this thread and realise ....................... WTF... Take ya car into to a good workshop

Make sure MT oil is 75w90 GL4

make sure clutch is adjusted properly

(any car that wont go into 1st or rev while stationary has an issue with drive still being transfered into the gearbox by the clutch or spigot brg)

Hard to select at any speed is usually either incorrect oil, incorrect clutch adjustment, or input shaft lock nut loose