Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What does this tell me about my car?

So i've been a member for about a week and have already learnt HEAPS about my car. I'm just wondering what this tells me about my car... Engine no: EJ20-B283526 Chassis: BH5-182377 i've seen rev 'd' and rev 'b' etc up here can one tell what mine is from these numbers?

Guest boostin

All I can tell you is that it's a Legacy wagon, 2 litre engine and 4WD, built between 98 and 03.

The number you need goes something like BH5B5ABC. The B after the BH5 bit is the revision number.

I like parts computers

BH5-182377

TS-R

BH5D5GF

EJ204

5MT

I can tell you know, the engine is a 2L DOHC, with AVCS (Variable valve timing in a way). It should be damn good on the gas, but still have nice power for a non turbo subie.

ReubenH said:

I like parts computers

BH5-182377

TS-R

BH5D5GF

EJ204

5MT

I can tell you know, the engine is a 2L DOHC, with AVCS (Variable valve timing in a way). It should be damn good on the gas, but still have nice power for a non turbo subie.

Awesome :) Thats what I was going for, didn't realize they have AVCS... my last few cars have been turbos but they have strained the bank account over the course of uni study :P it feels hugely peppy compared to my old passat, but I do miss that crazy surge that turbos can give :P Loving it so far though! trying to keep the engine etc stock so as not to compromise reliability but im sure that will change...

Any nice cheap little mods for a TS-R?

ReubenH said:

I like parts computers

BH5-182377

TS-R

BH5D5GF

EJ204

5MT

Ive got the same car bro! ;D

Guest keltik

Since when did the BH get AVCS?

You sure you dont mean the variable intake runner thing? Which is completely different to variable valve timing.

keltik said:

You sure you dont mean the variable intake runner thing? Which is completely different to variable valve timing.

i thought all 2.0L n/a, 1999 (start of be/bh) & onwards got it

and yea i'm thinking AVCS, not 100% tho

keltik said:

AVCS came out in 98 with the impreza SRX, and the BE/BH TS-R's. They dropped the intake setup later on, there are a few BE/BH TS-r's without the funky manifold. As always with subaru, they stuck it on the N/A's first before chucking it on the turbo's (Just like the retna, 1600cc Version2... coupe...).

That's what i know at least, i may be proven wrong.

DGM said:

Legend!! haha I'm loving it eh! is yours stock or have you had a bit of a fiddle?

Engine is stock.

It has Bilstein suspension in it and I changed the muffler to give it a bit of a purr.

Thats all so far.

My one is a '99 tho.

nice! how does the muffler sound? not to droney? I had a few cars with different mufflers that ended up dagnabbiting me off so im scared to put one on the new girl hurr :P

DGM said:

nice! how does the muffler sound? not to droney? I had a few cars with different mufflers that ended up dagnabbiting me off so im scared to put one on the new girl hurr :P

Ha its actually not to bad at low revs it sounds quite cool and at high revs u cant really here it that much over the engine. :D

tbh i would prob leave the exhaust stock...it wil stil go as hard and it wont piss u off wen ur sik of noise lol

One thing you have probably noticed in your beast is that below 3000rpm its not that grunty but after that ul notice a lot more power.

It doesn't seem that bad under 3k tbh but then again I havn't really given it too much over 3.5k haha. Ill have to go for a proper drive soon :)

• 2 months later...
 DGM said:

It doesn't seem that bad under 3k tbh but then again I havn't really given it too much over 3.5k haha. Ill have to go for a proper drive soon :)

I had a '97 TSR, not as peaky as the old '90 VZ (which was happiest from 5000-7500rpm) but they still like to be revved for best effect. Don't be shy about winding the revs out, they can take it!

GravelBen']

[quote name='DGM said:

/quote]

I had a '97 TSR, not as peaky as the old '90 VZ (which was happiest from 5000-7500rpm) but they still like to be revved for best effect. Don't be shy about winding the revs out, they can take it!

Haha real the old VZ was pretty quick...Faster than the TSR?

Thought i would jump on bandwagon :P i have same car as you guys.

Very nice and cumfy, still has power if you need it but yea nothing like a turbo.

Got a zerosports muffler on it designed for legacy's (by the looks of it) so sounds really nice, not too loud but just the right tone.

Apart from that mines stock too.

Good to see some other TS-R owners on here!!

subypower said:

Wasn't much difference in peak power (VZ 110kw vs TSR 114kw) overall the TSR was quicker cos it had a good bit more mid-range torque, the VZ only pulled well once you got the revs up. But man it sounded sweet doing it, revlimit at 7750 was pretty high for a 1990 family wagon!

Thirsty bugger though, I use less fuel in my BH5 GTB than I ever did with the VZ. TSR was pretty economical. :)

GravelBen']

[quote name='subypower said:

/quote]

Wasn't much difference in peak power (VZ 110kw vs TSR 114kw) overall the TSR was quicker cos it had a good bit more mid-range torque, the VZ only pulled well once you got the revs up. But man it sounded sweet doing it, revlimit at 7750 was pretty high for a 1990 family wagon!

Thirsty bugger though, I use less fuel in my BH5 GTB than I ever did with the VZ. TSR was pretty economical. :)

haha shit real ur VZ must have been real thirsty lol and its only a 2.0 NA! ;D

yea my TSR sounds pretty sweet at high revs as well and is relatively economical.