Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

tempurature problem with bottom hose being cold?

turborunner

Hi got home my factory temp gauge is running normal halfway and i opened my bonnet a could smell my engine being hot could be normal.

but put my hand on top radiator hose which was hot but the bottom hose was cold or outside temp not hot like top hose is that normal or could i have a problem?

thanks for your help.

I have a v2 wrx sti wagon

Just removed my thermostat and poured boiling hot water on it and it opened also talked to winger and they said they would of put a new thermo on it when they did my shortblock so I didnt replace it and put it back on. put new antifreeze back in.

But is still only heating the top hose and not the bottom hose.

could the heater core be blocked which i dont really want to pull my dash apart and still would like heater to work

Guest keltik

Well as the water is coming out of the bottom of the radiator - youd hope it would be a bit cooler. Run your hand down the actual radiator and usually only the top half will feel hot.

Also with your coolant flowing around shouldnt the temperature be even all the way around since its circulating.

I would of thought if the bottom hose is cold would mean there is a blockage as its not circulating to get warmed up?

whats the bleeder i just full it up in the top tank and keeped adding when the air keeps escaping then started engine with cap off and added coolant every time it drops and then reved then engine to get abit more air out.

also car is stationary at moment.

when does the fans turnon ive ran car for about 20min and still hasnt seen fans turnon should i have the top tank cap off untill fans kickin and then put cap on once fluid is at neck of filler hole.

I left it off untill 5min after reaching temp and topped tank and put cap on and kept car running for another 10min while still keeping eye on overflow tank making sure its still on full mark which it hasnt moved. i got about 6ltr out from draining and probably spilt abit more when removed the thermo and i got close to 7ltr in fulling it backup doing a 50/50mix of castrol antifreeze and antiboiling concentrate and deminiralised water.

Still have no found a bleeder does my v2 sti wrx have a bleeder

Guest boostin

Stop worrying about that and just run it until the fans cycle on and off. If the fans blow warm air, all good. If they blow cold air, then you have a problem.

just ran it another 20min and also revved it to 2500rpm to heat up still the needle stays halfway and fans are still off ive changed the oil on my mates car and ive seen his electric fans kick in within 5min from warm in his legacy. might take it to a garage and get them to check out my fans and why the bottom hose is cold.

yep your right put the ac on and fans turned on streight away but i thought the fans should also turnon when stationary for a wee bit. any idea why the bottom hose is cold thought it would heat up as much as the top hose as it circulates especialy when stationary as not getting the blowing wind from moving.

I'm not overheating at moment but with the bottom hose being cold i think it might be the first sign before car does start to overheat

sounds like your looking for a problem where there isnt one mate.

your cars not overheating or getting over the halfway on the temp gauge, take it for a good hard thrash, if the temp doesnt go up then sweet as stop worrying bout nothing.

if your coolant wasnt circulating it would get hot very quickly.

Guest boostin
 driftrex said:

sounds like your looking for a problem where there isnt one mate.

your cars not overheating or getting over the halfway on the temp gauge, take it for a good hard thrash, if the temp doesnt go up then sweet as stop worrying bout nothing.

if your coolant wasnt circulating it would get hot very quickly.

My thoughts exactly. Halfway on the gauge is anywhere from 60oC to 100oC. The thermostat isn't open until ~80. Just leave it idling away until the fans run.

Guest keltik

My GT30 takes friggin ages for the fans to start cycling. And even then they just come on for 20 seconds then stay off for another 2 or 3 minutes.

The hatch will run with no coolant for 25mins before the fans come on :P

keltik said:

My GT30 takes friggin ages for the fans to start cycling. And even then they just come on for 20 seconds then stay off for another 2 or 3 minutes.

The hatch will run with no coolant for 25mins before the fans come on :P

mm mine are the same.. take AGES to cycle fans and dont stay on long

Guest boostin

If you leave the bonnet open, most of the heat is lost that way. If you want it to warm up fast, leave the bonnet shut and A/C off.

• 2 weeks later...