Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V5 WRX - STI AFM?

• General Member

Had a poke around but need to confirm do the V5 WRX and STI both have the same AFM?

Im looking at chucking Stoffas V5 STI ECU into my V5 WRX. I know I have yellow injectors, just not sure if the AFMs are the same.

Anyone forsee any issues?

G-unit']

[quote name='marc said:

yep same!

/quote]

u sure? im sure QRAF got a sti 1 for his wrx as a upgrade, i have a spare sti 1,1 with the funny plug,unsure if its good or not tho

na his wasnt an upgrade, was just to replace his original one, his always had the same as an sti one (90mm). nz new though so that may make a difference.

str8 plug up as im aware, I wudnt want to do it unles runing the STI VF 28/29 turbo for that ecu because your td04l will produce boost earlier in the rev range possibly causing it to run abit lean down low cus of smaller turbo and quicker spool then rich up top cus of insufficent flow from Td04l. Rich wont hurt you mayby just yr economy a lil tho lol but lean isant good. This is just my point if u wna do thing s semi properly! Yes the AFM will prol somewhat compensate by regestering that there is more air coming in at lower rpm and try to richen it up but a maps a map on the ecu and if it was my car id wna atleas run the correct turbo for the ecu :).

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I tried a V5 sti ECU on my NZ new V5 wrx (non-sti) and it wouldn't start. Although I think this may have been due to the factory immobiliser not recognising it? It wouldn't even turn over. Or maybe the ECU was bung, who knows. I didn't care about it enough to look into it any further.

• General Member
 marc said:

str8 plug up as im aware, I wudnt want to do it unles runing the STI VF 28/29 turbo for that ecu because your td04l will produce boost earlier in the rev range possibly causing it to run abit lean down low cus of smaller turbo and quicker spool then rich up top cus of insufficent flow from Td04l. Rich wont hurt you mayby just yr economy a lil tho lol but lean isant good. This is just my point if u wna do thing s semi properly! Yes the AFM will prol somewhat compensate by regestering that there is more air coming in at lower rpm and try to richen it up but a maps a map on the ecu and if it was my car id wna atleas run the correct turbo for the ecu :).

Running a V5 STI turbo so no issues there.

Assuming the AFM is correct (which it seems it is) I have all the other goodies in place the STI has now. This basicaly just finishes the job for me. And saves me buying a link or otherwise as I have long since given up on making big power.

my nz new one was a 90mm one but i just changed the sensor to a sti one but now i use way more gas so might clean my old one and stick it back in lol. ???

have you tried resetting the ecu by plugging in both the green and black plugs then turning it over?

Unseen1 said:

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I tried a V5 sti ECU on my NZ new V5 wrx (non-sti) and it wouldn't start. Although I think this may have been due to the factory immobiliser not recognising it? It wouldn't even turn over. Or maybe the ECU was bung, who knows. I didn't care about it enough to look into it any further.

This is likely due to one ecu being immobiliser aware and the other not. In which case you need to swap pins 5 and 6 on B136, and also swap 1 and 21 on B134. continuity check to confirm the pins and destinations are correct before you attempt to start it. AFM's should be the same, i think this is the P/N i used last time 22794AA010

• General Member

I put it in today, seems to go fine. Havent actualy driven it so dont know if its boosting right etc but as soon as its all back together I will update.

For now it started and idled fine, thats a decent start.

Stoffa said:

only the v6 has an immobiliser, was it possibly a v6 ecu?

My 99 has an imobiliser. I know its a V5 as it doesnt need the clutch to start like a v6. It's also a wrx not an sti and has the larger orange AFM + yellows.

If your car has yellow injectors, you would most likely have an orange AFM as they go hand in hand.

• General Member

Car got taken around the block this morning (literaly just around the block ha ha) so havent really put the foot down at all but it idled well, ran well at low revs. Doesnt smell like its running to rich or anything.

Stoked with the result so far.

Open road drive Sunday morning should tell me if shes running the extra few psi boost.

Oh it also had a slight hesitation just as boost kicked in before, that seems to be gone, and I would also be tempted to say the cold start is better. but both those may be in my head at this point.

haha give it an oil change it'll run even better ;)

one thing I thought of that you should check, has it got the same MAP sensor. A V5sti map sensor will read up to about 26psi. Part number on my one is 22012AA090

• General Member

Lol yeah need done. borrowed the car to my mum who racked up a ridiculous 18,000 kms on it without an oil change, not a happy chappy.

Will check map sensor tommorow.

What sort of issues could it cause if its wrong?

well your map sensor tells the ECU how much boost your running, if its scaled differently it may think you car is boosting higher than it is, which MAY make it run rich and less ignition timing.

Unless it reads higher than a STI one then it would run lean and too advanced. but I cant see that happening.

• General Member

Car went like a dream.

Definatly more responsive, a couple more psi boost. And it seems to have removed the hesitancy as boost comes on. But I cleaned up the Map sensor and AFM as well so that could be a by product of the ecu or that.

awesome, good to hear. Might be an idea to get a power run done on a dyno just to double check A/F ratios and to check for knock, that would also let you find the limits of raising the boost if you wanted to