Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help........I have no idea where to start!!!

Hailz

Okay so I'm on the mission to upgrade my BG Legacy wagons sounds, I currently have Pioneer components (Kevlar ones apparently - they're yellow) in the front, Pioneer 6inch speakers in the rear doors - same type as the front ones and alpine tweeters in the rear boot pillars oh and an alpine double din headunit.

The problem is I really have noooo idea where to start! I've never done the whole "big sounds" kinda thing and I live in Ashburton so there's nobody within a 100km radius that knows what they're talking about re ICE.

What I want is something that sounds really nice and clear with plenty of volume and not overpowering bass, I would like to keep the Pioneer speakers at this stage, and get a headunit with a usb thingy in the front and would like to stay with pioneer, just thought I'd try my luck on here - there might be someone floating round that has kitted out there Legacy and had a good result?

Guest lan_killa

My recommendations would be

-Head unit, whats the model number on it, how many pre outs/RCA outputs does it have, how good is its EQ, does it have sub control etc... Head unit may be fine as is for now, unless you want specific features so would pay to upgrade

-2 Channel amp to drive your front components match the power rating on the amp to the speakers, DO NOT UNDER POWER YOUR SPEAKERS it will kill them as the amp will clip trying to keep up.

-2 Channel amp to drive your rear speakers, once again power matching.

Once thats done tune it, get it sounding good. This should proove its self to be an ample system.

If you feel its lacking bass I would look at getting a single 12" sub around the 400W RMS mark with matching amp. Can recommend pioneer subs.

When looking at the power that amps and speakers are capable of ALWAYS look for the RMS power rating, this is the true power the amp can produce and the speakers can do. ALWAYS IGNORE the PMPO rating, as for the most part this is just a number the manufacturer has dreamed up to sell thier products. Most stuff you will be looking at will have an impedance of 4 ohm. When I say matching amp I mean matched in regards to power (RMS) and impedance, for example I run Alpine speakers and a Cerwin Vega amp to power them.

Once all the gear is in, tuning it will be the key, remembering that the GAIN knob on your amp is not a volume control, ideally with a good source file (ie a store purchased CD) you will have the volume control on your head unit to max or near to it and the Gain on your amp wound a fair way down so its not distorting and is sounding clear. If its distorting you will more than likely be causing damage to your speakers. With your EQ dont be tempted to go OHHHHHH BASS YEH!!!! and put it up to +10, The idea behind the EQ is to equalise the sound that you hear, so your lows, mids and highs dont drown each other out.

Is there something in particular that you don't like about your current system, or that you really want to change / add? Those yellow Pioneer speakers are pretty decent so if you're happy with them, then keep them. Or if you really do want new speakers, then get really good ones for the front, and keep the back ones as-is. Music from behind you is really only for rear-fill anyway. The main music you want to listen should come from in front of you, right?

You mention you want a headunit with front USB? I'll assume your current headunit doesn't have that. Are you wanting that to run a USB Flash drive with music files on it? Do you have an iPod? If you do, I'd seriously recommend getting a headunit with built in iPod functionality rather than USB. You'll also need to get a pocket kit to fill up the half of DIN you won't be using.

Also will you be wanting a subwoofer, and will you be wanting to be able to control the volume of that seperately to your speakers? If so then you'll want a headunit with 3 x RCA pre-outs (cables that go from headunit to amplifier)

Also an amp for the front speakers is a must, for good quality and power. Even a small amp (2 x 50W RMS) will be piss-tons more than your headunit's power. I wouldn't bother about amping rear speakers, you can run them off the headunit.

I'd also investigate how your rear tweeters are connected - either with an inline capacitor to filter out low frequencies, or through a crossover that may also be connected to your rear speakers.

If you want to see if you can find someone in your area who could help with your install, then log onto nzicemag.co.nz and someone there might be able to help you out. You will also get a lot of great advice from experienced audio geeks :D

Scoobydoo said:

good shit, great way to have it set up.

Make sure you invest in top quality speaker for the front, thats where its at. Being a wagon, dont go overboard on the subs you dont want to make it sound too muddy.

First off thanks guys, I dont want to sound too dopey but yeah I dont have a huge knowledge on audio gear so any help is great, first off my headunit is something quite old I think - it still has mini disc slots lol! In reply to "Scoobydoo" the main thing that I dont like about it currently is the lack of volume and "punch" if you can get my drift?

What I had wanted to do is newer headunit, some kind of sub and amp combo for the boot and perhaps amp the front components but keep the current speakers. The biggest drama I have is not knowing how to mate speaker/amp and sub/amp to get the best out of them. Also if I'm running two amps will that be too much for the battery to put up with? Has anyone tried that dynamat stuff?

2 amps wouldn't be too bad for a factory battery nah, and it would only be the amp running the sub that would use the most power, as the sub would be far greater power handling than your speakers.

I hear you about the old headunit thing, it probably is quite old and although it does it's current job okay, you want to move forward in technology and it's just not going to cut the mustard. In which case you would want to think about what features you wanted in a headunit - ipod / iphone connectivity, USB, seperate front / rear / sub volume control, do you have a colour scheme in the car you want to match?

You can get decent sub/amp combo's from places like harvey norman, repco etc, and although they are quite generic, they are decent for the price. Otherwise you'd go to an audio or installer place around your area and ask their advice. Repco does Kicker which I'd recommend as a good brand above Sony, Kenwood etc, but Pioneer has a good rep with their gear.

Also you can get good gear cheaper from Trademe, as long as you don't mind second hand.

I've used Dynamat a lot and it's good for it's intended purpose which is to stop resonance, which causes panels to vibrate and rattle. You often need quite a bit though to do it effectively and it's quite expensive so pretty much only real audio nuts use it.

If your after punch dont go any bigger than 12" for the sub(s). Depending on the power you intend to run the battery should be fine but you my want to install a cap.

And +1 to the dynomat. Good stuff, my old car had heaps.

i reckon you should go with a different brand like something thats u.s not japanese. you get alot better sound quality from your speakers. i use to have pioneer everything and thort that it was good untill i went to blaupunkt gear and that sounded way nicer but i hav infinity speakers now and wouldnt go to anything else after having them

Nah the best quality audio brands I reckon are European like DLS, Focal, Rainbow etc. They are rather niche market though and not everywhere sells them, not very consumer friendly. Blaupunkt were good back in the day but they have been overtaken by other brands these days.

Most consumer models are good bang for buck, if you want a simpler, cost effective installation. otherwise you'd spend $400ish on a headunit, $400 again on speakers, $300 on a 4-channel amp for the front speakers, $400 on a really good sub + Custom made ported enclosure, $400 on a monoblock sub amp.

If you find somewhere having a sale then you can get some really good bargains. If you have a budget in mind and tell me what you're after, I can have a look on Trademe and give you some options.

Or go on that NZICE forum and check out the for sale area, lots of good bargains to be had there.

black_wag']

[quote name='boostcut said:

infiniy is for rich people and players. reactor is what the pros use.

/quote]

i paid $170 for my infinity speakers which is far cheaper than a set of pioneers or any japanese brand to get the same sound quality.

FYI We're taking the piss with the reactor speakers. And the trademe link I posted-guys an idiot they used to sell them at the warehouse for about $100 for the two ;) He's dreaming if hes gonna get 250 let alone his buy now price.

wrx_lou']

/quote]

i paid $170 for my infinity speakers which is far cheaper than a set of pioneers or any japanese brand to get the same sound quality.

FYI We're taking the piss with the reactor speakers. And the trademe link I posted-guys an idiot they used to sell them at the warehouse for abour $100 for the two ;) He's trying if hes gonna get 250 let alone his buy now price.

yeah i know just sayin infinity arent overly expensive in the price range unless you want to go towards competition speakers. yeah hes kidding himself if he thinks hes gunna get that much for them

Swindog']

/quote]

what the ...?

Ive had heaps of speakers, inc reactor. The infinitys are the best ive had and certainly not overly expensive.

taking the piss bro taking the piss.

wrx_lou']

/quote]

what the ...?

Ive had heaps of speakers, inc reactor. The infinitys are the best ive had and certainly not overly expensive.

taking the piss bro taking the piss.

O, phew. I must be tired.

Ok so I've done a bit of looking around and this is what I've come up with,

Pioneer DEH 5250sd Head unit

Pioneer Gm3300T two channel 300w amp putting out 60w RMS per channel for the front speakers

Pioneer Gm5300T two channel 760w amp bridged to make 380w RMS to power the sub

At this stage its looking like a pre-boxed Pioneer 1200w 12" sub, vented inclosure ect

If you guys want to let me know what you think that would be great! Also running all these things will that definately not harm the battery and draw any power from the engine?

Cheers!!!!

Swindog said:

Why not buy one four channel amp? I have a Lanzer 1400w 4way and bridged for the single 12" sub and the two fronts.

Plenty of power for it.

Then you only have to worry about one power and one earth etc.

Hmmm good point but I read that its better to run different amps as you can tune it better but wouldnt have a clue!

To be honest the average consumer owuldnt notice the difference.

I certainly dont. I can still tune the sepearate channels on mine.

I think money wise it wouldnt be cheaper to buy one 4 channel of decent size. Maybe even just a thousand watter.

Swindog said:

To be honest the average consumer owuldnt notice the difference.

I certainly dont. I can still tune the sepearate channels on mine.

I think money wise it wouldnt be cheaper to buy one 4 channel of decent size. Maybe even just a thousand watter.

Have found a 1200watt Fusion one on TradeMe - whats fusion like? Have never really heard alot about it?