Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

More ACC levies on rego

two thoughts on this thread.

if all the money that was paid in premiums on private health insurance was redirected to the public health system there would be no under funding and everyone would get a better resourced deal.what is the point of skimming the cream off the top so you can fatten the corporate fat cats?

acc levies on registration is an unfair method of accumulating a slush fund to fund hospital treatment.it paints a diverse range of vehicle users with the same brush.i think a fairer system would be to collect the revenue required from the petrol pumps.that means that the people that do the most mileage and therefore are at the most risk are made to pay their fair share.

pedro said:

i think a fairer system would be to collect the revenue required from the petrol pumps.that means that the people that do the most mileage and therefore are at the most risk are made to pay their fair share.

Mind you there are also going to be quite a few pump hikes for more taxes.

Gas is also going up tomorrow as well because of the emissions trading scheam >:(

Prehaps buy reg in mileage instead... My other car Im lucky to do 250kms are year if that... sometimes it only goes down to get a wof then it gets parked up for another 3-6months

pedro said:

two thoughts on this thread.

if all the money that was paid in premiums on private health insurance was redirected to the public health system there would be no under funding and everyone would get a better resourced deal.what is the point of skimming the cream off the top so you can fatten the corporate fat cats?

I (as well as 840,000 other New Zealanders) have our health insurance with Southern Cross Health Society, which is not for profit. And I'd wager a 'private' not for profit is a lot more efficient than a government 'not for profit' bureaucracy

Next. :D

and what happens if you get really sick!you will be taken to the public hospital to be nursed back to health.bet you wont find a southern cross elective surgeon to operate on you at 2am on saturday night.seems like an unnecessary duplication of scarce resources to..

pedro said:

and what happens if you get really sick!you will be taken to the public hospital to be nursed back to health.bet you wont find a southern cross elective surgeon to operate on you at 2am on saturday night.seems like an unnecessary duplication of scarce resources to..

Untrue. If your covered for emergency stuff your covered. Its all package deals. They have on call surgeons and docs.

Swindog']

[quote name='pedro said:

/quote]

Untrue. If your covered for emergency stuff your covered. Its all package deals. They have on call surgeons and docs.

Yeah lol they'd have no customers if they were that shit

there are many reasons why private medical insurance companies have gained a strong following in nz.

preying on peoples fear of becoming sick with an overcrowded public system is probably the main one.

subsidies by employers to attract staff with "free"medical cover is another.

access to immediate treatment for ellective surgery is enticing.

but at the end of the day if you wrap your car around a lamp post you will be taken to a public hospital to be treated.

private cover is for ellective use,the companies state in there advertising that if you are in a life threatening condition to attend the nearesr public hospital.

thats where the ambulance will take you whether you like it or not.

newsuba said:

ACC is so fubar !

>:(

Get rid of non-work coverage like sports accidents and get rid of the stupid retro-grab.

:P

too f'n rite, i really dont see the need to cover sports accidents, its an optional thing that you do at ur own risk.

there is a reason and place for ACC.

New Zealand has the ACC to pay for all accidental injuries, be it through work, sport, or other random stuff.

This then limits liability claims/suing for neglect etc.

If you injure yourself in america, your health insurance pays for you to get repaired.

Your health insurance then sues the people that may have had something to do with your injury, claiming that it was "their neglect/fault" which directly caused your incident, therefore they have to pay - to claim their money back

*enter courtroom/long drawn out case*

The success of the suing came down to who had the biggest lawyers etc.

Same with sports accidents, if we had that, then no-one would run a track day, as if a person spun a car into a wall, they would sue you for not taking all proper steps to stop that from happening, and would sue the track for putting a wall there.

Same with ski-fields, same with kids rugby etc

In NZ, you hurt yourself, ACC pays. ACC then gets OSH onto the accident site/workplace, and OSH make the call as to whether there was a safety hazard that was un-notified/protected etc, and then either require the company to make changes (a foward thinking approach) and/or fine the company for continued neglect - this frees up the courts, and limits the "woman sues mcdonalds for providing a hot coffee she spilt on herself" retardedness.

Dont look at this as me being a tree-huggy acc fan, hell, i have 3 cars to try and register/insure, my 2003 Commodore auto v6 (nana spec -only winder windows in the back) due to the engine size is a "hi capacity-high performance car" that costs as much as a v5 sti type R coupe to fully insure

As an engineer, we have a lot to do to appease the OSH regulations, to the point of retardedness. I.E. everything we design has to be "suicidial idiot proof". The OSH inspector has an "ISO finger" on a stick that he basically tries to get stuck.

So yea, acc rises suck, but acc is a necessary evil.