Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Boost spiking.

ReubenH

DSC00121.jpg

So, as you can see, um 1.8bar... I got boost spike issues. Not happy bout that to be honest! The setup at the moment is an HKS EVC-III with the odd manic depressive day, but more often than not it works all good. In Auckland, in the heat, it worked great, it would spike maybe half a psi... But in the cold air it can't handle it, and i get mad boost spiking. The colder, the worse. The above spike happened last night, outside air temp was a good 2º. Boost is set to 1.25bar, or 18psi. Only 2 psi above stock to my knowledge. It's had a history of spiking though. At megameet 09, south of hamilton where the air was getting colder, it started to spike more an more. I was getting boostcut frequently by the time we got to taupo, and i had to tone boost right back to stop it happening.

Given the EVC is a smart controller, that you have to teach. I figured i'd re-teach it the boost curve down here in QT in the cold air, but that didn't solve the issues! Is it a case that the EVC-III is too old and slow to keep up, is it getting senile, or is it bad tech. Is it to do with vac lines? I'm using all factory stuff, i found it much better than the blue silicone s*** i used to have. Turbo related? I really have no idea TBH. What actually causes it? many things?

does it hve a high low boost setting?

if so just set it up warm and cold,use a lower setting in the cold.

Or you could try replacing the boost solenoid and retro fitting a MAC valve in there, they're cheap $70 from Mac in Auckland and the exact valve that Link and Gizmo use.

Should be easy as long as you EBC has 2 wires to control the solenoid

I dunno if it is, it's quite a complicated solenoid. My guess is it's a boost sensor and solenoid rolled into one (9 wires, and 4 vac ports). As for the low/high settings, that has less than desirable results. Just means i'll be running less than factory boost to stop it over boosting. MOST the time down here it doesn't hit cut, it's only on the rare ocassion like pictured that it hits cut. But 90% of the time it get's to within a PSI of cut, it still spikes.

Perhaps a low tech fix.

Make sure the bcs to wastegate hose is as short as possible. If you can swap to a smaller ID hose that would also help.

Garry Capper has mentioned drilling out the pill in the boost line a little when I had spiking issues in the past.

Not sure if it is even possible given the size of the pill but could be an effective option

Guest loren

Yes, the pill is for a bleed system, and it's unlikely your aftermarket system needs it.

And btw, the factory solenoid is pretty far away from the turbo really, you can get it

closer.

the evc3 maybe just unable to compensate fast perhaps..

i know the evc4 hardly ever spiked even in different parts of the county..

but yea hopefully no leaks in any of the hoses bro..

thats one massive spike tho!

I used to have the boost gauge, but that's now on it's own line, so no. I do have some joiners in the vac lines, but they are a few mm wide, muuuuuuch bigger than any pill, they probably have a similar internal diameter to the vac lines.

Guest boostin

What issues were you getting with the silicone hose? My boost is rock steady with 4mm hose and an aftermarket controller.

Drunkenmonkey said:

factory boost is 14 psi or well thats what im hitting on the 6s

Depends on your lines, restrictor pill size etc.

Swindog said:

Does your gauge need re-calibrated? As in, not re-teaching it but actual calibration from an expert.

Do you mean controller? Cause the gauge is fine, matches the boost the controller shows more or less (The gauge is bar, and the controller is kg/mm2). As for calibrating it... i dunno, maybe? There's a learning procedure you teach it, it's pretty straight forward, i've done it many times over the last 2 years. And as i said it works in the warm. Was a nice 10º today and it wasn't spiking, but if i were to go out when it's colder, it spikes like a bitch. I will have a poke around tomorrow, and see if i can improve on any of the points brought up.

Here's the manual for the EVC3

http://www.hksusa.com/content/pdf1642.pdf

Hmmm. I might have it upside down indeed. But i doubt it'll be 'freezing up', considering the sucker sits in the engine bay, pretty close to the turbo, the actual solenoid being too cold is unlikely. I never boost till the engine is warm either.

Ah hah, yeah swindog you got it, the 3 ports must be facing up. And i bet my filters need to be changed. But where to get replacement filters? hmm.