Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Friday Big Mission

Bazza-NZ

Yo

So i brought a twin turbo and yes is has the 66 code and yes it smokes and yes its an auto, yes he has wof and reg and YES IT WAS CHEAP ::)

Any-ways I'll be replacing both turbo on Friday in an attempt to get it going all and boosting at my old's place, i intend this will take pretty much the whole day and even some night. I'll be doing this at the old's place in the garage

Basicly if you want a nosey then pop on around

Pictures to follow

I found the intercooler completely cover and have about half a liter of oil in it which i drained out so i'm assuming the Turbos are poked. Plus the intake pipe is in need or repair. Plus after pulling off some vacuum hoses to the black box i got oil pooring out so I'm assuming some sensor in there are stuffed

I have already got replacement turbo's so they are the first thing, and now replacement black box as well

Will look into the BOV and see if that is what is happening.. how do i test the BOV?

Plan is to replace both turbo's then replace the intake pipe underneath the manifold after that clean out the intake as much as possible to reduce the amount of oil sitting in the car engine. plus replace the black box with this known good ones while i'm at it

i think that is about all...

Guest boostin

The BOV doesn't cause the smoke, it causes code 66. The leaky stem seals cause the smoke. Its looking like a turbo though if there's that much oil in the intercooler. Mine was like that, but it was blow by from a worn engine.

Took about 15.5 hours with a few spent chilling in the sun - which was highly called for - since that is extremely rare these days!!!!

started about 10.30am and finished around 2am

Note to self: must avoid twin-turbos, esp subarus, other makes may not be so bad....

Guest SPANKU
 spark_38 said:

Took about 15.5 hours with a few spent chilling in the sun - which was highly called for - since that is extremely rare these days!!!!

started about 10.30am and finished around 2am

Note to self: must avoid twin-turbos, esp subarus, other makes may not be so bad....

ive done two and it totally put me off working on any Subaru

The following has been copied from my iPod, typed it out when I was bored this morning about 9.30am...

Photos were also taken with my phone and uploaded to Facebook - so excuse the poor quality, also events are not in any particular order, and I may have missed some stuff due to poor recollection of memory since it was after midnight

1994 legacy gt twin turbo issues

Smokes when driving, no boost, won't rev past 4500 rpm, CEL 66 error.

Cleaned oil from intake intercooler and vac lines to black box - no longer smokes as much , but still no boost . Suspect turbos, will replace, clean everything and attempt ECU reset totry and shake error 66...

Failing that will consider single turbo conversion

Oil present in turbo intakes too

Fri 30/7 10.30am - Sat 31/7 1.45am................................................

Primary turbo VF13 was seized. Oil filled intake - no return path so vented back to intercooler which had about half liter in it....turbo had prevously been replaced so downpipe bolts were not too bad to remove - would otherwise have seized up on a 240,000k motor...check oil feed lines were not blocked when putting in replacement

Secondary turbo VF19 seemed ok - could not replace due to GT-B donor one not having wastegate attached...

Intake manifold was annoying and should have been left on....a few hard plastic pipes and F crankcase breather broke during the process...

The replacement black box had different connectors/plugs for the map sensor and judging by the complexity of the hoses and joins; we were not about to pull it apart to swap them over.....looked like over 20pieces of vacuum hose, 8 t-pieces, 12 wires and one cable tie all thrown into the mix of the half dozen or so solenoid & actuators...

Adrian and San showed up about 1pm and we chilled in the sun (rare) for an hour or two - thus hindering progress.... Then we test drove each others cars with/without tuned exhaust headers on and swapped out possumlinks - again deviating from original plan of attack

A whole 6 pack of Brakleen ($43 + GST, BNT) was used to clean engine bay and all bits removed during the process.

Turbo units were put on prior to intake manifold and this posed some fitting issues - TT if we ever touch them again......manifold on first, then turbos -otherwise the 12mm retaining bolts at the back are hard to get at.

Power steering pump was removed due to leaking quite badly, upon closer inspection it looked like the o-ring seal at bottom had hardened so not sealing. The replacement one had a different thread and smaller hole for the fitting to to rack, a 24mm socket and impact gun were used to swap the one from the old pump.

Car still smoked during start up test, but nowhere near as badly and only when it was cold.

**** White smoke = rings

**** Blue smoke = turbo

Car drove a lot better nonetheless and got boost, quite smooth in fact on stock 12-14psi

Ben now claims the car surges under boost - so possibly suspect something - maybe with the black box???

39227_464853913992_530188992_6144712_707

39227_464853918992_530188992_6144713_466

39227_464853923992_530188992_6144714_327

39227_464853928992_530188992_6144715_442

spark_38 said:

The following has been copied from my iPod, typed it out when I was bored this morning about 9.30am...

Photos were also taken with my phone and uploaded to Facebook - so excuse the poor quality, also events are not in any particular order, and I may have missed some stuff due to poor recollection of memory since it was after midnight

Fri 30/7 10.30am - Sat 31/7 1.45am................................................

Good effort guys : Think you forgot to include the "talking sessions" the "texting sessions" "BK session" "dinner session" "tv session" = HOURS LOL :)

39227_464853923992_530188992_6144714_327

39227_464853928992_530188992_6144715_442