Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rear muffler. Inputs please

this has been covered before i'm sure but anyway

IMO get rid of the cats and resonators in the rest of the system before changing the rear muffler, unless all you want is noise\wank factor, and being non turbo you don't get the normal subaru sound, you get honda sound...

Flat4']

[quote name='nztintin said:

IMO get rid of the cats and resonators in the rest of the system

/quote]

Don't do this, it will make it sound f**king raspy

Check this thread out: http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,16349.0.html

I was meaning leave the stock rear muffler and do the rest, the rear muffler doesn't effect performance (on a turbo forester at least)

I looked into the idea of getting the back section of an STI but the pipe diameter is way bigger than my stock piping. Remember that I will not be changing anything else as I used up all my money for the sway bars and LSD I got from Strong ;D

The stock rear muffler is quite restrictive so even if I have extractors, removed cat and replaced with reso, all the free flowing gasses will just hit the rear mufflers walls.

It might be best to free up the rear first then work my way up as the cat and mid isn't that much restrictive.

By the way, I'm not particularly after the burble sound. And I do not want it to be loud at all. I'm just after the performance. I know that it will always be louder than stock but I don't want it to be a fart can either ;D

on 2 98 foresters, we ran the same power out put on the same dyno same day with one having all cats removed and stock rear section (my car) and the other having a 3" exhaust with no cats and a fart cannon on the back (brads old foz) even running more boost than me his car came out with only 1kw more than mine. and from what i've seen most stock rear mufflers look the same so i don't see your one being super restrictive.

edit: and when i replaced my rear muffler to a straight through type, i got no gain at all other than sound

Yeah you aren't going to get any real performance gains from the exhaust on a non turbo. Removing the cat might help a little bit but will make it sound raspy (a decent resonator in place of the cat might prevent this though).

I have a Fujitsubo diff-back, 2.25" cat back with a chambered resonator to replace the factory ones, and it sounds nice (and is still pretty quiet) but I didn't notice much of a difference in performance.

nztintin said:

on 2 98 foresters, we ran the same power out put on the same dyno same day with one having all cats removed and stock rear section (my car) and the other having a 3" exhaust with no cats and a fart cannon on the back (brads old foz) even running more boost than me his car came out with only 1kw more than mine. and from what i've seen most stock rear mufflers look the same so i don't see your one being super restrictive.

edit: and when i replaced my rear muffler to a straight through type, i got no gain at all other than sound

So how much gain was achieved by removing only the mid section?

So what do you guys suggest I do with the exhaust? I'm happy to spend a few hundred bucks.

I will definitely not be doing any mods beyond intake and exhaust for the engine and not swapping the car.

Should I replace the whole mid section with a decent reso and leave rear muffler for future?

If so will this be good enough? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Exhaust/auction-325476730.htm