Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V3-4 inlet manifold on V2 heads

Not had time to look at my wiring, plus its all insulated up so wire colour is not visable without a lot of messing around. I think its just a simple matter of reversing the polarity to the TPS.

WRX8YA said:

Not had time to look at my wiring, plus its all insulated up so wire colour is not visable without a lot of messing around. I think its just a simple matter of reversing the polarity to the TPS.

all good, hopefully someone will see this and be able to tell me exactly, as the wires are different colours and i just wana know that its right first time so it doesnt give me problems when i go to start the car when its finally back together.

So your car is tuned currently and you want to make a change without any changes to the tune right? That means the voltage on your TPS will want to be the same with the later version as it is currently with your early TPS, I think standard one measures 5.5v fully open and 0 closed while the other measures 5.5v closed and 0 v fully open. By reversing the polarity you can set the leater version 3/4 one to perform voltage wise the same as the early one. And since you are running the link I believe that the idle switch wire can be ignored. I will try and see if I can track down the wire colours on here...

Refresh my memory what are the colours of the 4 wires on the early loom going to the TPS? red white read and brown?

WRX8YA said:

So your car is tuned currently and you want to make a change without any changes to the tune right? That means the voltage on your TPS will want to be the same with the later version as it is currently with your early TPS, I think standard one measures 5.5v fully open and 0 closed while the other measures 5.5v closed and 0 v fully open. By reversing the polarity you can set the leater version 3/4 one to perform voltage wise the same as the early one. And since you are running the link I believe that the idle switch wire can be ignored. I will try and see if I can track down the wire colours on here...

Refresh my memory what are the colours of the 4 wires on the early loom going to the TPS? red white read and brown?

the link does have a tune on it which i have driven on before but now that im doing all the mods (huge turbo, injectors etc) it will be fully retuned before driving.

i will have a look at the wire colours tomorrow and post up, cars at work. cheers.

I will make sure I look at my car tommomrrow and maybe strip insulation off to check for you just what mine is set up as. If you are retuning I dont think you need to reverse wires, but just drop one (the idle switch), I dont know anything about tuning so am out of my depth there but the friend with the V1 WRX and link didnt reverse anything just ignored his idle switch wire. Perhaps someone who knows about tuning and links will be able to clarify how the TPS is recognised? is the throttle held fully open to set full throttle position etc? I dont know..????

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried but the insulation makes life difficult without removing the intercooler... if time permitted I would have unwrapped, but it would not be a 5 min job thats for sure! sorry

• 2 months later...

ok im reviving this thread cause i still dont have an answer to my problem.

i am fitting a v3 intake to my v2, i need to wire the v3 tps sensor into the v2 loom, but i have no idea which wires to connect as they are different colour, also v2 loom has 3 wires, v3 loom has 2 wires, i understand i can drop one wire as i am runing a link ecu but got no idea which wire to drop, help me lol.

kamineko said:

study the wiring diagrams for both looms. the answers are there - most people who have done this (like myself) cant remember exactly what wire went where ;p

im no good at wiring diagrams lol, give me something mechanical and im sweet as lol.

kamineko said:

study the wiring diagrams for both looms. the answers are there - most people who have done this (like myself) cant remember exactly what wire went where ;p

hmmm isnt your car in bits now? you couldnt take a quick look at your loom to help me out?

yeah ok i was lazy last night and my car is at someone else's garage. And i thought you where talking about an AFM for some reason. anway..

the TPS is just a variable resistor, thats 3 connections. in this config its called a potential divider. so if you put a single resistor across +5V and ground and measured the voltage over the resistor you would see that 5V.

if you measured between ground and half that resistor - you would see 2.5V. so the signal pin on the TPS just sees a voltage between 0 - 5V depending where your throttle is.

both ver2 and ver3 have this sensor, but they are packed differently, and the v2 includes an extra wire for the idle switch.

v2%20ecu%20TPS.png

v3%20ecu%20TPS.png

now apparently the signal is inverted between V2 and V3 so just swap around the ground and +5V

also note the pin numbers are looking head on at the plugs, not the sensor socket

right so i have this all sorted now, and tested for correct voltage readings, so i now have 4.5v at closed throttle which is what the v2 reads factory.

so for those doing this in the future, from the v2 loom you drop the brown wire, its not needed, then connect white-white, black-red and red-green/black. and bingo all done.

big thanks to kamineko for helping me understand what i was doing.