Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

rsk b4 1999 gas and turbo probs?

crosdp_sti

hey ppl, just wondering what the deal iz with the 99 rsk b4, ive heard many diff storys about there reliabilty with the twin turbo set up, and the fact there made to run on 104 octane and cant me re-mapped unless its 2000+

just wondering if any1 has had problems and what not..

thanks alot

crosdp_sti said:

hey ppl, just wondering what the deal iz with the 99 rsk b4, ive heard many diff storys about there reliabilty with the twin turbo set up, and the fact there made to run on 104 octane and cant me re-mapped unless its 2000+

just wondering if any1 has had problems and what not..

thanks alot

Mid 2000 the ecu's changed, both can be re-mapped, however in New Zealand (AFAIK) Torque Performance are the only re-mappers with their Ecutek software, however they have only purchased the software for the later version so if your after a GTB/B4 I'd recommend the mid2000 onwards and build a tune into your budget... http://www.torqueperformance.co.nz/ecutek.php.

A retune is definitely a good way to boost power, its odd that Subaru seemed to have turned out cars with such a sub-optimal tune over this period but there you go, an excuse to mod.

1. Twin turbos are as reliable as any other turbo car, maybe even more so as they don't tend to attract buyers who will trash them.

2. They are tuned from factory to run on whatever fuel you put in to them. Obviously higher octane fuels are better for turbo engines, but your computer will adjust itself to operate on whatever you give it. Use 98 or 95 though, because even the computer cant compensate for crap 91 gas.

3. Your ECU can be remapped, but not currently in this country. Torque Performance purchased a ECUTek licence to re-flash your ECU but will make you pay royally for the privilege. Also, these re-flashes will lock your ECU so that only they can make adjustments to it in the future. You have been warned! Alternatively, there are many free re-flashing tools available for 2000+ vehicles that only require you to buy a cord for around $100. Some tune shops can do this for you also at a much lower cost than TP/ECUTek, and will not lock your ECU so you can have a go yourself or take it to someone else in the future.

In summary: Nice car, lots of fun, definitely buy one, don't take it anywhere near TP/ECUTek unless yours grows on trees

Hey Dirty,

Do you know why there doesn't seem to be an open source tuning option for pre2000 ecu's when Ecutek tuners overseas and companies such as Mines can tune them?

I know Ecutek seems like a BS price however when compared with the aftermarket options (PowerFC or Link combined with ZS controller) its in the same ballpark. And the usual moding without a tune ultimately doesn't give the mechanical mods a chance to realise their potential.

Cheers

They were just a limited run before subaru started using Denso ECU's, no one could be bothered going through the hassle of working out how to do it I guess. Although it's not that hard, it appears you use a similar technique to the Denso's. I've got one lying around at home that I keep meaning to fire up and try get a reflash working.

Anyway, ECUTeks prices are crap for what they offer and the end result. Although a ECUTek tune is cheaper than having to buy aftermarket ECU/controller and then get that tuned, they are still shafting you royally compared to what some companies are starting to offer. SpeedTech here in Wellington offer reflash tunes cheaper than ECUTek. Also, ECUTek lock your ECU so only they can access it for re-flashing from then onwards. That just seems like shady business practice IMO.

There's no doubt that tuning to suit physical mods is a great way to get the most out of them, but there are far better alternatives to doing so than signing your ECU and wallet away to this outfit.