Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Pod Filter

Hey guys,

As you might have already known i own a Legacy 2005 BL5 (i think thats the model). Now what i wanted to ask is that I have talked to Alex from Highbrook Automotive about the Apexi Pod filter. He said that the oil on them will damage the Air Flow Meter or Air Flow sensor or O2 Sensor (whatever it is called) on these newer Subaru Models. Is this true? as Im real keen for a pod filter for the sounds of air sucking in. So im wanting to know if it really doesn damage the AFM. Has anyone ever had this problem or put one on?

i duno.id say its 50/50 ah.iv had a standard airbox on my subaru and the airflow meter was buggerd.iv put i pod filter on and havnt noticed and change .sounds mean when the turbo is spooling up too.

at the end of the day its your choice.test and trial is the only way dude.you might put it on and it might make your car slugish

Apexi ones aren't oiled. They're a dry type filter, chuck it in the bin once it's done and put in a new one. Some magazine ran a filtration and flow rate test on a whole bunch of pod filters, Apexi came tops for both, worst filtration were the HKS mushroom foam filters and Blitz steel mesh filters from memory.

eekthecat said:

can you have to replace just the filter (on apexi's) or do you need to buy a whole new unit? (if that makes sense?)

do u mean a panel filter like apexi k&n or hks?? a square one to replace just ur stock ones? and the whole new unit u mean pod filter the circle one that replaces your whole big box?

barbigon said:

so apexi one is safe then?

APEXI = NO F**KED UP AFM?

please say yes :D

I had an Apexi intake on my V9, it was a dry filter. The filter can be seperated from the AFM housing so you just replace the filter, not the whole unit.

I eventually swapped it for a factory airbox, the sound of the turbo and the factory blow-off valve gets irritating after while.

The apexi pod filter replacement foam is about 25$ on trademe lately. I would just remove the air box silencer/plenum thing that lives in the inner guard, Even with the standard filter it makes quiet a bit of induction/bov noise. Then you dont have to worry about killing AFM's and you get your noise.

hmm ive been asking around. people said if mine is Non turbo and i dont have space problem in the engine bay. i should rather go with the aftermarket panel filter. like k&n or hks or something like that. what do u guys think

barbigon said:

hmm ive been asking around. people said if mine is Non turbo and i dont have space problem in the engine bay. i should rather go with the aftermarket panel filter. like k&n or hks or something like that. what do u guys think

Definitely think that also. Aftermarket panel filters are as good filtration / flow wise as pod filters.

Jord said:

Yeah just because its not oiled doesnt mean the AFM is totally safe. You lose a fair bit of ridgity with a pod vs a air box in which the vibration can cause the AFM to sh#t itself.

so panel filter then?

Guest S T  E Y E

meh u can use those pre oiled filters (like k&N etc) and u can re oil them...the oil doesnt KILL the afm..it mearly covers the hot wire with a film of oil....thus making the hotwire slow to react to changes in airflow....

basicly if u run a oiled air filter u need to pull ya afm off more often and spray maf cleaner onto the hot wire...problem sorted

a car will still run with a hot wire covered in oil....like literally dripping oil off the hot wire...wen u test them with multimeter or oscilloscope they just react to changes very slowly...clean it with maf cleaner and they react to changes instantly again

Alot of the newer Subarus don't use a hot wire - its a hot film afaik - v5/v6 afm, legacy b4 - are especially prone to dieing.

They may still run with oil contamination but subbies don't like to run lean on a turbo engine - AFM giving false readings or reacting slowly and you might join the big end bearing club.

If your willing to take that risk for a mod that does fark all, go for it.

Guest S T  E Y E

haha i didnt say risk it!!!

i mearly said if u run a oiled one id sudjest u clean it very often!!!

or just run a non oiled one?

i do beleave u can get oiled panel filters too