Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil Change & When to add Upper Engine Cleaner?

Going to head into Subaru tomorrow and get myself a filter, sump crush washer and some UEC.

Should I add the upper engine cleaner before I change the oil - and let it burn all the crap out first?

When people say it is added directly into the manifold, can this be sprayed straight into the throttle body either via a vacuum tube if I can find one, or straight in from the top?

Also I'm going to get some 10W40 Magnatec, is this the recommended oil weight? I'm hoping it quietens down my tappets a bit at the same time!

Cheers!

UEC can be put in before or after. any vac line will do - just try to find one thats centered in the manfold. If its off one side it tends to hydralic the cylinders on the side you add it (if off centered) haha... ask keltik.

I wudnt put it in the throttle body when a vac line will do - i mean it makes no difference except having to pull intercooler bits off to get at the trottle body.

To recommend oil, what motor do you have and how many kms has it done.?

Haha no worries about having to remove intercooler!

It's an EJ20 N/A. Car is '99 Legacy TX manual with 128000K on the clock. Very little maintenance from what I can tell.

I'll have to find the vacuum tubes - I figure straight in the throttle body probably disperses it more evenly so I may go that route - it's easy enough since I'm blessed with the lack of turbo/intercooler :P

Thanks man, it's my first oil change I've done myself so it's good to have so much help online ;D

Thinking I'm going to get some 10W40 Magnatec from the warewhare seeing as it's $10 off at the mo.

funkytown said:

yer then do that :) just remember to feather the buttlerfly so the UEC ends up in the manifold. Just follow the cans application details for timing and quantities.

I see driftrex lurking - hes an oil guy and can comment on lubrication.

lol thanks.

ok so looking in my special book at work your car requires an SH or higher rated oil, and this is based on Caltex Havoline oils, but you can run either the synthetic 5w30 or 10w40 semi synthetic oils, or you can also run the 10w30 Havoline mineral based oil.

so yea take your pick really, those arent high kms so you dont need to look at anything else. been a non turbo i would just run the mineral 10w30 as synthetic does not give you any further kms between services as most people think. i would use a synthetic if it was turbo as synthetic will cope with the extra heat alot better.

Sorted out the oil change and filter today, also the fuel filter which was a bit of a mish!

Glad I did it though, the fuel filter was black, the oil was black and the oil filter looked a year or two old.

I ran a can of upper engine cleaner through and smoked out the driveway too ;D

Car is quieter and smoother which is good. Still getting a hesitation so still need to do the spark plugs - after that I'm taking it to someone to check it out on a computer for me if I can't sort it.