Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Is this the fan sender switch? (plus a temp sender question)

Guest vf20/21bg5

Guest vf20/21bg5

...Im pretty sure it is but just want to be certain,is it the brown pluged one on the right?......

......and is there any reason why the one temp sender cant run my new digital guage and the oe dash needle guage too if wired right?.002-15.jpg?t=1294090424

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Ichi Ban said:

Thats the ECU thermo sensor

The ECU controls the fans via actual engine temp or engine load

so its allgood to run a link storm to this to control my fans?....or is this sender still ok to be the earthed awitch in a 12vlts system to run the fans without the ecu?

Guest vf20/21bg5
 zarnah said:

out of curiosity what is the other plug/sensor beside it for? mine has no part of the loom to go to it?

thats my new temp guage sender,i just made my oe one on the dash redundant and put this one in for my new digital guage as so i dont need to run one of those top rad hose adaptors that holds the sender in it(less clatter the better in engine bay for me).

....unless you meen that single wire plug to the lft of both senders? thats the power steer fluid level sender,earths out when fluid level gets too low i think.

Guest vf20/21bg5
 mattapo said:

the single pin one is for the dash, the other is for the ecu. i had trouble with my dash one not working after i put the storm in so i just put a water temp guage infront of the dash temp guage

and is there any reason why my new temp sender cant run my new digital guage and the oe dash needle guage too if wired right?

Guest vf20/21bg5

suff it lol, i shouldnt be greedy, only need the one guage anyway ;D.....but im very curious as to why the fan sender has to go through the ecu when the only time it switches is whenthe water hits a certain temp? and that switch is overidden by the air con switch on the dash as well....confused? :-\

The ECU needs to control the fans so that it can have a hysteresis loop so that they aren't switching on and off constantly at the exact change point. i.e. it turns the fan on a on temp and turns them off at a lower temp so it will take a while to heat back up to the point where it turns them on again.

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Koom said:

The ECU needs to control the fans so that it can have a hysteresis loop so that they aren't switching on and off constantly at the exact change point. i.e. it turns the fan on a on temp and turns them off at a lower temp so it will take a while to heat back up to the point where it turns them on again.

ahh i see, but really i dont think ill need that feature anymore, ill just have both my AM fans switch on and both switch off at same time according to sender i fit.....i gather the oe sender will be no good for me now then if its a progressive one?

Guest vf20/21bg5

but hold on what temp will the oe fan sender switch at? thrs a chance that may be the right temp for me and i could still possibly use it?

The sensor is just a plain old dumb sensor. It is the ECU that decides when to turn them on and when to turn them off according to what temp the sensor is telling them the coolant is at. i.e. thats why that sensor is connected to the ECU.

Guest vf20/21bg5
 Koom said:

The sensor is just a plain old dumb sensor. It is the ECU that decides when to turn them on and when to turn them off according to what temp the sensor is telling them the coolant is at. i.e. thats why that sensor is connected to the ECU.

ill give it a go i think

Mines about the same. About 90 when cruising and drops to around 80 when you get the revs/speed up. Thats just from an old datalog though, not sure what it does with a proper long thrashing.

The fans are set to come on at 88 degrees in my Link.